Mac System requirements per Aspyr

As much as I am looking forward to playing Civ VI, it is slowly seeping in that I may not be able to on my late 2008 MBP. It has enough ram and a ssd, but seems way underpowered graphics-wise. I guess I should buy the game and try benchmark mode?

Also, my guess is that the same applies to my 2011 Mac Mini with a dedicated graphics card.

Is the answer just "yes, you can't", or does anyone have comments on plausability?

Its all a bit confusing at the moment tbh, I don't think anyone will know for sure until release really, all we can do is speculate.

Way underpowered graphics wise doesn't sound promising.
Whats the Mini specs?

Hate to say it but thats not even on their list of definitely not supported graphics cards mate :(
lowest intel on there is 1GB 4000.

yeah, I know.
Mini: i5; SSD; 8 gb ram; Intel HD Graphics 3000 288 MB DDR3 SDRAM

That would struggle in strategic mode, if it launched at all. Those early Intel HD graphics chipsets are pretty terrible. My 2010 MBP has one (alongside a NVIDIA 330m) and it can't even render Civ4 properly.

Hello,
I'd like to buy Civ 6 as a birthday gift for my Mac owning brother, but I know very little about Macs and would like to know if his system will run it or not. He assures me that it is running a 64bit OS, and here are his other sepcs::

MacBook Air (Mid 2012)
Display
  • 11.6-inch (diagonal) high-resolution LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors
  • Supported resolutions:
    1366 x 768 (native) at 16:9 ratio, 1152 x 720 pixels and 1024 x 640 at 16:10 ratio, and 1024 x 768 and 800 x 600 at 4:3 ratio.
Storage
  • 64GB flash storage
Processor
1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz) with 3MB shared L3 cache

Memory
4GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory

Graphics and Video Support
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000

Sorry, but his specs are not up to the minimum requirements. The biggest problem would be the graphics, but his memory and cpu are also below spec.

I have a 13" MacBookPro with a higher spec GeForce GPU and a faster cpu than that. Just for fun I tried to run Civ6 on it. The game didn't even display the terrain.

Penry, to be honest, I recommend that you should ask your brother to get a new Mac, as being forced to play Civ VI using Strategic View will disappoint him, unless he doesn't mind pure 2D graphics.

FWIW, unlike Civ 5, on my quick checks the strategic view is a close (old school looking, admittedly) visual match to normal mode, and there is an option to start games in it already so you don't die an early death* due to an underwhelming graphics card.

* not tested. May or may not work.

Last edited:
Well, I am out of luck-- all of my computers are 2.4 ghz machines.

Well, I am out of luck-- all of my computers are 2.4 ghz machines.
Maybe not. I have a MBP that's 2.3 ghz with 16 gig of ram and a GeForce GT 750m GPU. It runs Civ 6 albeit a little slow. I haven't gotten too far into the game on it (play on my iMac most of the time), but it's definitely doable. I'm not even running it in strategic mode. I'm going to start a benchmark thread so that folks can list their comps and the score.

I am guessing (but may be wrong) that the most important requirements are graphics card performance, and graphics memory and main memory capacity. You may be able to live with a slow CPU, as long as it's not *really* slow, and as long as you don't play big maps.

It'll be interesting to see the benchmarks in one place.

Top Bottom