Man Caught on Video Not Helping Fatally Shot Man

Maybe he assumed that Saddam Hussein didn't fire the shot so there was no moral obligation to do anything about it.

The man was completely reasonable. If this gas station was on any semi-busy street than someone has called the police. Gun shots never go unnoticed.
Under no condition should you ever help someone in need when the possibility of you ending up as bad or as worse off as they is even somewhat likely. This has nothing to do with laws, but common survival skills.
I live in South Florida and the stupidest thing you could do is stop off the side of the highway for someone broken down. Especially if your a German tourist. I only help people broken down on busy city streets and only if I have my blade with me. And even this is stupid behavior, but I'm not the most sensible person.
But being without the slightest mark on my legal record and with a great appetite for getting involved in 'abnormal' situations I would have called the police at the gas station with my cell (which poses no real danger) and might have even poked the dude with a stick.

Originally posted by cgannon64
Things like this disgust me. This man was caught on tape at a gas station, pumping gas. A man was fatally shot very close to him. The man briefly looked at the fatally shot man, then continued pumping gas, paid, and drove away.

The man on the ground bled to death. :(

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/02/16/gas.shooting.ap/index.html

What's happened to human nature? :(

:( :( :( :( :(

I will pray for that man's family tonight.

Originally posted by CurtSibling

Which cannot be used at drive-in petrol stations.

;)
I didn't realize this was the case. What's the problem with using a cellphone in a gas station? I'm pretty sure I've done it before, without incident.
The best thing to do is drive away normally, then go straight to the nearest phone and call 911.
Exactly. Which is not what he did. I would certainly understand it if upon hearing the shots, he jumped in the car, and sped away. That would be normal survival instincts. Not casually finishing pumping gas.

Originally posted by cromagnon

I didn't realize this was the case. What's the problem with using a cellphone in a gas station? I'm pretty sure I've done it before, without incident.

Cell phone signals can cause gasoline to explode. At least thats what I've heard...

If I read one of the stories on this correctly, the man even went and paid for his gas and didn't tell the attendant the guy had been shot.

The only thing you might say in his defence is that he thought the attendant had already called. He should have at least rendered aid though.

The only law I know of is in Florida were medical personnel are required to sto and render aid at any accident.

Thanks for the tip, CGannon. I think it's overrated, but I'll keep it in mind.

Of course, this is all pretty much moot. There's essentially nothing the guy could have done about the killing. Even if he had tossed the victim into the back of his car, and sped to the hospital, he probably would have died anyway. Guns were made to kill, after all.

Originally posted by cromagnon
Thanks for the tip, CGannon. I think it's overrated, but I'll keep it in mind.

Of course, this is all pretty much moot. There's essentially nothing the guy could have done about the killing. Even if he had tossed the victim into the back of his car, and sped to the hospital, he probably would have died anyway. Guns were made to kill, after all.

Damn. You somewhat beat me to it. How exactly can you help someone who has been Fatally shot? ;)

Just kidding, the guy should have helped.

Bit dodgy either way...

Very tricky arguments...

I'd be suss on it (I haven't looked at the article, am only going by what is written here on Civ)

I wouldn't touch the guy... Don't want to catch nothing and don't want to disturb the evidence to be...)

If you have some kind of record leave and call later (anonymously of course... - and what is to say the guy did not do this?)

No use of mobiles in servo's as when sending or recieving there is a possibility of creating a minute static spark in the antenna or reciever... (but very low possibility of it igniting anything...)

Cops suck balls and they will try and pin stuff on you and by choice I'd try to avoid their heavy handed critisism of my actions...

And I don't think there is a service station in the world without camera's - unless you live in Jamaica's where everyone drinks Kahlua and is quite mellow... :p

Morgasshk

I can't believe you actually think he made the right thing. This guy should be put in prison.

The justice system in America must be really ****ed up if you think it's so much hassle being a witness that you rather let the guy next to you die. It is sad to see so many defending "not in my back yard" behaviour. It makes me sick. :mad:

Cell phone signals can cause gasoline to explode. At least thats what I've heard...

That have to be BS, Otherivice gas stations would be blowing up to the left and right. Cellphones are used at stations all the time.

Originally posted by JollyRoger
Maybe he assumed that Saddam Hussein didn't fire the shot so there was no moral obligation to do anything about it.

:lol:

Tariq Aziz shows video at UN as proof US 'needs regime change'.

"Good Samaritan" legislation means that if I haul an unconscious crash victim out of a car, for example, and my efforts help complicate a spinal injury, I'm not liable.
:satan:

My CPR ticket legally compels me to help. I'd like to see this qualification required for secondary school graduation. It is actually not very difficult, without equipment, to maintain a dead person at a condition where he may be revived in hospital. Stop the bleeding, fill the lungs, circulate the blood.

I wouldn't worry about AIDS, because the chance of an HIV carrier passing the disease to me, and that disease developing into AIDS is pretty low. Besides, I'd likely have ten years of perfect vitality before noticing symptoms.

Thank you, Troquelet. That was worth more than all the duct tape in America.

Cell phones also cause people to drive one-handed and distracted, which does more property damage, injury, and death in a year than all the gas station explosions in history.

They tend to bleed on you.

This is hardly a joking matter!

Seriously, though,
Would you want to be treated as the prime suspect for the crime?

Because that is what you would become,
if the filth couldn't catch the guy that had done it.

A killer wouldn't help their victim - By not helping he has made himself more of a suspect, not less.

Originally posted by DarkerMotives
I sont think you should be able to punish someone for going about their daily rotines regardless of environment or the situation others are in.

So if you lay dying you'd be quite happy for someone to ignore you completely?!?!?!

People have the right to be jerks.(Maybe not in Civfanatics..)

The right to be jerks?
A jerk would kill some one, is that ok?
A jerk would ignore a dying person, is that ok?

Of course their is always the fear of consequences of aiding someone. Being a witness is never appealing to some people.
Many people refuse CPR because of personal risk to themselves. Bleeding victims may have aids. That person may be the guy who just got shot robbing a liquer store why help him. Touch that man without consent you could be later charged with assault.

It is trully sad that society has become so beaurocratic that you can't help a dying person (or indeed anyone) without fear of being sued!

You could call 911 but most will assume someone else will.

And if everyone had that attitude no one would ever call for help and no-one would know this person died!

Not my problem.

If a person is dying right next to you I believe it is most certainly your problem!!!

Oh look outside the window, there's a woman being grabbed
They've dragged her to the bushes and now she's being stabbed
Maybe we should call the cops and try to stop the pain
But Monopoly is so much fun, I'd hate to blow the game
And I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody
Outside of a small circle of friends...

It is our business, because we are there. Whilst this is not quite the same level of shocking disgrace as the Kitty Genovese affair, it is still a most sickening occurence.

Top Bottom