Man Kills Himself In Front Of City Council

Godwynn

March to the Sea
Ronald "Bo" Ward, owner of Bo's Barber Shop, had told the council his business would go under if he couldn't get his home rezoned as commercial. After the 5-7 vote Thursday night, Ward stood and walked toward the council.

"Y'all have put me under. ... I'm out of here," he said before shooting himself in the head with a small handgun.

CNN

Ward had said the rezoning would increase his property value, allowing him to secure a loan to offset debt he incurred when he expanded his shop.

"He treated soldiers like his own children," said George Heath, a longtime patron of Bo's Barber Shop and the Fort Campbell public affairs officer.

"If a soldier came in and said he needed a haircut but didn't have any money, Bo would cut his hair and tell him to pay him when he could."

In 2004, Petraeus, sent Ward a postcard during the division's first deployment to Iraq, thanking him for keeping his shop open during the deployment and "giving haircuts to children of our families."

Why wouldn't the council allow him to rezone?

I'm pretty sure the other side of that story is interesting too. Right now I only see appeals to emotion and patriotism that try to make the readers side with Bo's.

BUT:

Ward had said the rezoning would increase his property value, allowing him to secure a loan to offset debt he incurred when he expanded his shop.

Looks like that expansion was a bad business decision.

Why wouldn't the council allow him to rezone?
From the story, it looks like he was trying to get his home rezoned to commercial property in order to raise his property value and thus secure a loan that would help him fund his business. Should your neighbor be able to rezone his home as commercial property solely to secure more debt to throw into his business that has been arguably mismanaged? I'm suprised he got 5 votes.

As sad as it is, the expansion did sound like a poor business decision.

From the story, it looks like he was trying to get his home rezoned to commercial property in order to raise his property value and thus secure a loan that would help him fund his business. Should your neighbor be able to rezone his home as commercial property solely to secure more debt to throw into his business that has been arguably mismanaged? I'm suprised he got 5 votes.

I was under the impression his home was his business.

Very sad. My condolences to his family and friends.

And there simply isn't enough information in the article to say whether the City Council made a poor decision or a fair one.

I was under the impression his home was his business.
Then that was business mistake number one - running a home-based business and apparently incurring a financially precarious situation without making sure there are no zoning issues. I wouldn't expect the city council in my town to rezone my neighbor's property to bail out his lack of foresight.

I'm surprised a City Council would even vote on the case of one person's petition for rezoning. Maybe it's because I'm used to the big NYC Council.

That said...he should have tried to rezone then expand....but it's still sad that he would off himself over it.

He was quite popular with the locals apparently the council chambers had some 50 citizens. I think that they must have pertitioned the council for this.

personally you can help but feel sorry for him and many americans in the same situation.

If he was so popular with the locals, then maybe he should have looked for an angel investor rather than a change in the zoning laws. Plus, if his business went under, his popularity may have garnered him employment elsewhere. Running a business is not a popularity contest - sometimes you have to think ahead. I really can't blame the council for denying his request - such things happen all the time.

So the council voted against rezoning so he couldn't sink more money into a failing buisness? If you fail at a buisness no-one should bail you out. Though it's sad to see someone whould shoot themselves over it

What would the harm have been to rezone his house?

Probably that would make it incongruence to the rest of the neighbourhood.

Still, I don't see how it is the prerogative of the government to tell people what they can and can't build in an area.

Those who can't rezone under same circumstances.
Residential-->Commercial leads to more loans leads to more opportunities leads to better life.
In other words, a person getting a free ride by pointing a gun on his head.

Edit: Cross post.

Probably that would make it incongruence to the rest of the neighbourhood.

Still, I don't see how it is the prerogative of the government to tell people what they can and can't build in an area.

Most people don't want factories built next to their house. I sympathize with the guy. My dad bought a piece of property in a highly commercial are, but it's not zoned for commercial use.:sad:

Most people don't want factories built next to their house. I sympathize with the guy. My dad bought a piece of property in a highly commercial are, but it's not zoned for commercial use.:sad:

It's a barber shop, not a factory.

Top Bottom