[NFP] March Update Video Discussion

I guess the palace is supposed to be Palácio Nacional de Queluz:
That looks beautiful. :love: Side note, I still wish we could have gotten Notre Dame, Westminster Abbey, etc. :( No Norman representation too...

- Corporations & Monopolies: Where should I start here? For People who don't know the Corporations system in Civ IV, go and check that out. Too basic, too shallow... No wonder that it didn't include even Economic Victory Type.

I think the Corporations mode is far better than what we had in Civ IV. It's also more relevant throughout the game. Corporations could be more interesting but they're still better than Corporations in Civ IV, which basically converted certain resources to a type of yield.

Now that I think about it, they were basically just expensive late game mills.

Science Mill - Provides Science for each Coal
Food Mill - Provides Food for each Rice and Wheat.
Funky Food mill - Provides Food from Sea Food.
Gold Mill - Provides Gold for Gems and Silver.
Stone Mill - Extra Production from mineable stuff.
Funky Stone Mill - Extra Production and Culture from quarries and strategics.

Standard Ethanol - Oil from Rice and Sugar resources. The only one that matters and that should be implemented in Civ 6. Biofuels would be pretty neat as an alternative source of power.

- Corporations & Monopolies: Where should I start here? For People who don't know the Corporations system in Civ IV, go and check that out. Too basic, too shallow... No wonder that it didn't include even Economic Victory Type.

I agree-especially having played Civ IV. I think there were a lot of great ideas with this pack, but it's not fleshed out. And that's to even beginning to discuss the issues with monopolies that they haven't fixed...I would love it if this was just expanded and refined-especially given how important economics and industries were in history.
It still needs work, but I'm absolutely thrilled that corporations aren't like they were in iv. Rehashed religion mechanic busywork.

I need to know who is making the wonder models.
The Hanging Gardens and now Etemenanki are two of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Look at those lines.
View attachment 590127
The incorporation of all the key ziggurat elements. The way the different stages bring the eyes upwards. The sparing but masterful use of the blue brick. Keeping the same cues as Hanging Gardens.
This is true art right here.
Magnificent... Imagine what it was like in real life if this is beautiful in itself.

I made this account specifically to talk about Portugal's trade routes.
  • Portugal has 14 trade route slots.
  • They also have around 8 to 9 cities.
  • There are 3 Great Merchants, 1 Great Admiral (2 in base game), and 1 Wonder before the Renaissance Era that gives a Trade Route slot.
I don't think Portugal or Joao have an ability that gives them extra Trade Route slots.

I really like the Monopoly and Corps mode, but the Tourism modifier needs toned down, and (if this were a proper expansion feature it would have this) there should be social policies revolving around these things as well as diplomatic leads. There should be agendas for building monopolies and monopoly rivalry. There should be spy missions to steal products and also copies of resources when another civ has a monopoly. There's just so much that this feature could be tied into.

I'm still gunning for a unique commerce hub for Portugal or at the very least a unique market with +1 trade route slot/allows for +1 trade route slot with the lighthouse.

I'm sorry, but standard CH+Market+Bank (as Dock+Lighthouse+Shipyard) are seen in Portugal's capitol when showing the building of the Tower of Belem. Should be anything else.

On the other hand, HS is barely seen at the end of the wonder video, and is obscured by the interface, but Temple and Shrine don't look excessively different to normal either (difficult to tell with Temple, though).

Edit: To complete, standard granary, standard monument in the shot. And previous shot with the Nao shows Evora with a standard IZ + Workshop. (just to discard options)

Last edited:
I made this account specifically to talk about Portugal's trade routes.
  • Portugal has 14 trade route slots.
  • They also have around 8 to 9 cities.
  • There are 3 Great Merchants, 1 Great Admiral (2 in base game), and 1 Wonder before the Renaissance Era that gives a Trade Route slot.
I don't think Portugal or Joao have an ability that gives them extra Trade Route slots.

Good analysis, but I wonder: the clips in the FRX videos are made for the video. They have no incentive to play an extremely goodgamewith them. Most importantly, I think they create amap in the worldbuilder to control everything, so no gaining Great People nor necessarily building wonders. Moreover, they often use those videos to tease us in the future LUA and CUA. We deduce the babylonian 100% eurekas or the vietnamese "districts on features" from the updates videos. There always had one or more hints about what the abilities are, and I think it might be one. I'm not sure FRX comm department would go through the hassle of playing a complete game until the Renaissance Era just for some extracts, while the worldbuilder tool is way more useful for that.

Moreover (again), additional trade routes for Portugal or Joao III would perfectly maje sense as a UA. We only have 5 (IIRC) civs/leaders that give additional trade routes: the Cree from pottery, England from settling on other continents, Persia from political philosophy, Mali from golden ages and Phoenicia from the government plaza. There is still room from additional trade routes capacity bonuses and, once again, it would perfectly fit with Portugal.

So I think Portugal being able to have more trade routes isn't that far-fetched and could be an extremely reasonable UA.

I really like the Monopoly and Corps mode, but the Tourism modifier needs toned down, and (if this were a proper expansion feature it would have this) there should be social policies revolving around these things as well as diplomatic leads. There should be agendas for building monopolies and monopoly rivalry. There should be spy missions to steal products and also copies of resources when another civ has a monopoly. There's just so much that this feature could be tied into.
Yeah, hopefully as part of wrapping this up they'll put more work into unifying some of these things.

Moreover (again), additional trade routes for Portugal or Joao III would perfectly maje sense as a UA. We only have 5 (IIRC) civs/leaders that give additional trade routes: the Cree from pottery, England from settling on other continents, Persia from political philosophy, Mali from golden ages and Phoenicia from the government plaza. There is still room from additional trade routes capacity bonuses and, once again, it would perfectly fit with Portugal.

So I think Portugal being able to have more trade routes isn't that far-fetched and could be an extremely reasonable UA.
I'm thinking maybe both lighthouses and markets give them a trade route slot, like it was before, giving them an incentive to build both in a city. Makes sense for the Grocer King needing to put spices in his market. :)

Products should also give amenities to the city where they are put.

I don't know. It looks more like this kind of structure:

Those yellow and blue tones are commonly found in Lisbon and Porto. It's possible there's an exact building they used as model, but I think it's just a composite.

Blue facades are often tiles, though it's not always perceptible from a distance. (The blue in the building above on the right might be tiles).

Spoiler :

If this is true, then I have to wonder how Portugal will work with the Owls of Minerva. Three total trade route slots when you build Gilded Vault with a Lighthouse in the city?

If this is true, then I have to wonder how Portugal will work with the Owls of Minerva. Three total trade route slots when you build Gilded Vault with a Lighthouse in the city?
Ohhhhh Spiffing Brit...:mischief:

Let's hope the April Update will do some of this. :p I don't want to hope too much, but I just want some reassurance that the devs will somehow fix all this.
I don't have any hopes since today's developer Video tbh. I'm only expecting Bugs and some balance fixes, nothing more.

I think the Corporations mode is far better than what we had in Civ IV. It's also more relevant throughout the game. Corporations could be more interesting but they're still better than Corporations in Civ IV, which basically converted certain resources to a type of yield.

Now that I think about it, they were basically just expensive late game mills.

Science Mill - Provides Science for each Coal
Food Mill - Provides Food for each Rice and Wheat.
Funky Food mill - Provides Food from Sea Food.
Gold Mill - Provides Gold for Gems and Silver.
Stone Mill - Extra Production from mineable stuff.
Funky Stone Mill - Extra Production and Culture from quarries and strategics.

Standard Ethanol - Oil from Rice and Sugar resources. The only one that matters and that should be implemented in Civ 6. Biofuels would be pretty neat as an alternative source of power.
At least in Civ IV you could expand your Corporations to other Cities of other Players. But the only thing that is better implemented in Civ VI are the product GreatWorks that have some Effects, but even those could be much better (they don't even grant Amenities to the City they are placed in? They are Products, their main function should be bringing Happiness to People¿!).

Portugal, yay!
Zombie mode..... ugh.

Those yellow and blue tones are commonly found in Lisbon and Porto. It's possible there's an exact building they used as model, but I think it's just a composite.

Blue facades are often tiles, though it's not always perceptible from a distance. (The blue in the building above on the right might be tiles).

Spoiler :

It does not match exactly Queluz (brought this earlier in other post). But from the foto I found (copied here) there are some similarities. Also differences (Queluz does not show that many stories, neither alternates blue and yellow in the same façade, but as façades of both colors, with some square designs that might be mimicked by the yellow diamonds in the first story. Roofs in some parts of the palace are red and can be checked as similar to the ones shown.

But if they did indeed portray Queluz, they lost most of the gardens :(

So, for all portuguese fans out there.. ¿any hint to the inspiration?. Just by checking around I'd say it may be loosely based on Queluz, but maybe you know of other more fitting.

Spoiler Pic :

Spoiler :

Here is probably the the conversation at Firaxis:
"Why don't we make the palace based on the National Palace of Quelez?"

"Great, though it doesn't look very Portuguese at a glance."

"Just add some dark blue to it." :lol:

Broken? :crazyeye:

Portugal - the only surprise left would have been if it were Not a trading/maritime Civ.

The UU will be the Nau, a Caravel on steroids and the ship that actually had the range to establish the trade all the way to the spice islands/Southeast Asia.

Which, I suspect, means that the Feitoria it can build may be able to establish a random Amenity Resource on a tile and a Trade Route to the nearest Porty city, which would both be very powerful and emphasize the sea trade aspect of Portugal to the Max.

One thing nobody has commented on, is that Etemenanki will take some of the competition away from the Great Bath Wonder - in virtually every game I've played since it became available, The Bath is the first or second Wonder built by any AI, and almost always snapped up before Turn 30. Throwing another Wonder at them in the Ancient Era will probably give the AI more targets for its beelining. Unless, of course, you're playing on a Wetlands map, which presumably will have both more marsh and more floodplains, making the Bath more useful for Flood Control.

As others have remarked, Mesopotamia was floodplains/marsh/wetlands, especially south of the Tigris-Euphrates bottleneck where Babylon was located. The area generally has seen falling water table/rising land for the last 5000 years, so the marshes in southern Iraq, though still extensive, are much less so than they were back in Hammy's time.

Talking about the wonders:

Torre de Belém: I think this will be pretty situacional, I usually don't settle cities on other continents unless when I'm playing as Victoria. I wish the game encouraged more the colonization, maybe making the colonization policy cards stronger?

Etemenanki: the marsh petra. Well, it seems weak. How many marshes will you have in your entire empire? Or better: how many marshes will you keep? I'm not used to keep marshes, I always have better things to build there. The bonus for floodplains in the city is another weak thing. Maybe this wonder needs some housing and gold.

Top Bottom