Medvedev to place Iskander missiles in Kalingrad, extend Predidential term

RedRalph

Deity
From BBC

Russia is to deploy new missiles in a Baltic enclave near Nato member Poland, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev says.

Short-range Iskander missiles in the Kaliningrad region would "neutralise" the planned US anti-missile shield in Poland and the Czech Republic, he said.

The US says its shield is a defence against missiles from "rogue" nations, but Moscow sees it as a direct threat.

Mr Medvedev also said he wanted to extend Russia's presidential term to six years from the current four.

He did not explain if he wanted to extend his own term, or change the rules for his successor.

There has long been speculation that Mr Medvedev is a stop-gap so that Prime Minister Putin - who served the maximum two consecutive terms - can return to the top job, correspondents say.

In his first state-of-the nation address, Mr Medvedev said Moscow would deploy the Iskander missile system in the Kaliningrad region - between Nato members Lithuania and Poland - to "neutralise - if necessary - the [US] anti-missile system".

"Naturally, we also consider using for the same purpose the resources of Russia's navy," he said.

Mr Medvedev also said Russia would jam the US anti-missile system electronically.

In his speech to lawmakers, the Russian leader also said the August war in Georgia had resulted from a "conceited" US foreign policy.

He said "the conflict in the Caucasus was used as a pretext for sending Nato warships to the Black Sea and also for the foisting on Europe of America's anti-missile systems".

Mr Medvedev, who succeeded Vladimir Putin in May, vowed that Russia "won't retreat in the Caucasus".

Turning to administrative reforms, he told parliament that he wanted to extend the Russian presidential term from four to six years.

Mr Medvedev also blamed Washington for the global financial crisis, but said Russia would "overcome" the challenge.

Hmm... dosent look as if this issue os going to clam down anytime soon

Those Iskander missles have a conventional warhead, so the Russians aren't willing to escalate, yet.

Yes, but thats irrelevant as they can hit anywhere on Earth with ICBMs at the moment anyway

Who cares what some bitter old Russian generals or the President-puppet want to do? It's just a pathetic raving as usual.

Anyway, these missiles have a range of 300-400 kilometers, not enough to threaten the radar base in Czech Republic, which will be built roughly 700 km from Kaliningrad. As for the Polish interceptor base, AFAIK the missiles will be placed in reinforced concrete silos, which will make it extraordinarily hard to take them out with conventional ballistic missiles, even if the Russians hit the target directly. And AFAIK the Poles want some Patriot missiles to protect the silos from air attacks. I am not sure if Patriots can hit this type of short range missile, but it's likely they can.

Conclusions: typical Russian sabre-rattling, a lot of words, no substance. If they want to scare someone, they'll have to try harder.

Maybe Russia thinks itself as a rogue nation.

Who cares what some bitter old Russian generals or the President-puppet want to do? It's just a pathetic raving as usual.

Anyway, these missiles have a range of 300-400 kilometers, not enough to threaten the radar base in Czech Republic, which will be built roughly 700 km from Kaliningrad. As for the Polish interceptor base, AFAIK the missiles will be placed in reinforced concrete silos, which will make it extraordinarily hard to take them out with conventional ballistic missiles, even if the Russians hit the target directly. And AFAIK the Poles want some Patriot missiles to protect the silos from air attacks. I am not sure if Patriots can hit this type of short range missile, but it's likely they can.

Conclusions: typical Russian sabre-rattling, a lot of words, no substance. If they want to scare someone, they'll have to try harder.

I agree it's probably best to ignore this. The Russians are paying game with this missile defense, they use it for propaganda and they want to gain something politically. They are hoping the West will react.

Historically speaking, we usually do, even when we shouldn't.

I agree it's probably best to ignore this. The Russians are paying game with this missile defense, they use it for propaganda and they want to gain something politically. They are hoping the West will react.

I think this is most likely targeted at Russian public, not the Westerners (who really have no reason to fear this or any other of the latest Russian moves). Medvedev is playing the same old game with Russians, saying "look, we're strong, the West fears us, rally behind me as your leader!"

It's just sad. But hey, if they want to waste money, let them.

I think this is most likely targeted at Russian public, not the Westerners (who really have no reason to fear this or any other of the latest Russian moves). Medvedev is playing the same old game with Russians, saying "look, we're strong, the West fears us, rally behind me as your leader!"

It's just sad. But hey, if they want to waste money, let them.

the west dosent fear Russia in the least... the east, on the other hand, seems to be pissing its pants about them

the west dosent fear Russia in the least... the east, on the other hand, seems to be pissing its pants about them

Is that your wishful thinking? :lol:

Former Eastern Bloc countries have their interests. They're geographically closer to Russia so they're naturally more cautious (as their historical experience commands). On the other hand, Russia ceased to be a military threat in mid 1990s. The threat they present now is more economic (oil/gas) and political (Russian attempts to subvert many countries from the inside).

NATO and EU membership have fortunately removed most of the weak spots in case of Central European countries, which are now firmly part of the West. Eastern European countries like Ukraine or Belarus are more vulnerable.

Is that your wishful thinking? :lol:

Former Eastern Bloc countries have their interests. They're geographically closer to Russia so they're naturally more cautious (as their historical experience commands). On the other hand, Russia ceased to be a military threat in mid 1990s. The threat they present now is more economic (oil/gas) and political (Russian attempts to subvert many countries from the inside).

NATO and EU membership have fortunately removed most of the weak spots in case of Central European countries, which are now firmly part of the West. Eastern European countries like Ukraine or Belarus are more vulnerable.

then why are they constantly looking for security guarantees from the US? why do they need a US army division in their country if they are to host the shiled? Why are their leaders so extra eager to join NATO since August? Like it or not Winner, most of EE is afraid of Russia, and Belarus and Ukraine are not in the least bit afraid, but rather friendly towards it... sorry kid, you really dont have much luck these days on OT, do you

then why are they constantly looking for security guarantees from the US?

It's like money, you always want more :p

why do they need a US army division in their country if they are to host the shiled?

Do you have at least a vague idea how many soldiers are there typically in a division?

Why are their leaders so extra eager to join NATO since August?

Uhm, make your mind. You use the term Eastern Europe so vaguely that I never know who do you mean. So, let's make it clear: Central Europe (Poland, Czechia, Slovakia and Hungary) already are members of NATO, just as the Baltic states and South-East European countries. Eastern Europe (Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova) is divided, Ukraine's government plans to join NATO one day, Moldova and Belarus are Russian puppets for now. Georgia (which is in the Caucasus region) wants to join NATO for obvious reasons.

So, again, who is so scared that he's pissing his pants? Not Central Europe, not Eastern Europe, not the Baltic states, not Romania+Bulgaria, not Ukraine. So that leaves Georgia...

Like it or not Winner,

Ah, I was waiting for the Ralphish conclusion :lol:

"Like it or not, Winner..." -> bullcrap
"Get over it, Winner..." -> bullcrap

You know, you have to actually prove your point before you get to this :p

most of EE is afraid of Russia, and Belarus and Ukraine are not in the least bit afraid, but rather friendly towards it... sorry kid, you really dont have much luck these days on OT, do you

Good to see that you got so pwned (again) that you resorted to such pathetic sneering :lol:

To sum it up: you made a stupid claim, offered no proof or at least a solid argument, got pwned and now you're trying to ridicule me :goodjob: Now tell me that "everybody knows" I am wrong, to make this farce complete :lol:

I believe Winner is correct.

It's like money, you always want more :p

thats weird, then why isnt Denmark, UK, Italy etc etc etc not looking for any more??? Care to asnwer that?

Do you have at least a vague idea how many soldiers are there typically in a division?

It was an obvious exaggeration, as if you didnt know, now address the actual point

Uhm, make your mind. You use the term Eastern Europe so vaguely that I never know who do you mean. So, let's make it clear: Central Europe (Poland, Czechia, Slovakia and Hungary) already are members of NATO,

Bar Poland I count all those as Central Europe so its irrelevent. Poland, while already a NATO member, is looking for explicit protection form the US.... against who? Who are they so afraid of they have to have explicit guarantee form the US?

Eastern Europe (Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova) is divided,
Ukraine's government plans to join NATO one day,

Ukraines present govt was practically beggin to be let in form August onwards, its new govt wont be, as well you know

Moldova and Belarus are Russian puppets for now. Georgia (which is in the Caucasus region) wants to join NATO for obvious reasons.

well, many people would count the Caucasus region as EE. I wouldnt, but I use the term in this context because i thought you did.

So, again, who is so scared that he's pissing his pants?

Poland, Ukraine, Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania. the governments of these countries, not the populatuions.
Not Central Europe, not Eastern Europe, not the Baltic states, not Romania+Bulgaria, not Ukraine. So that leaves Georgia...

Those groupings are irrelevant in this context, I'm tlkaing individual countries not entire regions.

thats weird, then why isnt Denmark, UK, Italy etc etc etc not looking for any more??? Care to asnwer that?

U.K. has U.S. bases on its territory. Italy has U.S. bases on its territory. Demark also hosts U.S. bases. The same goes for Germany, Spain, Belgium and most other Western European countries.

See, they already have extra guarantees so what's the basis for attacking Poland or Czech Rep. for the same thing? Double standards? :p

It was an obvious exaggeration, as if you didnt know, now address the actual point

If so, than it was totally misplaced. Czech Rep. isn't asking for any U.S. bases except the radar installation itself, manned by roughly 200 men. Division has about 10,000 troops. Poland is asking for some Patriot missiles to protect its airspace and the interceptor base itself.

So, even when everything goes as planned, the U.S. military presence in Central Europe would be still much less obvious than in Western Europe.

Bar Poland I count all those as Central Europe so its irrelevent. Poland, while already a NATO member, is looking for explicit protection form the US.... against who? Who are they so afraid of they have to have explicit guarantee form the US?

Who says they're afraid? Is the UK afraid of something? Or Germany? They have literally thousands of U.S. troops on their soil, with tanks, fighter planes, even nukes for Gods sake.

Poland offered to host U.S. interceptor base, so it's pretty understandable it also wants U.S. weapons to protect this base from any possible threat. This doesn't mean that Poland is trembling in fear of Russian invasion, they're just cautious as any Western European country. But somehow they get blamed for that. Double standards again?

Ukraines present govt was practically beggin to be let in form August onwards, its new govt wont be, as well you know

No, they were asking, and if you knew more about this, you'd be aware that no country can apply for NATO membership, it can only be offered by NATO itself.

well, many people would count the Caucasus region as EE. I wouldnt, but I use the term in this context because i thought you did.

I didn't. Even so, Armenia has pretty good relations with Moscow and Azerbaidjan is kinda neutral. Russia brokered some talks between these two countries lately.

So, that leaves only Georgia. So, as it turned out, what you said (quote: "the east, on the other hand, seems to be pissing its pants about them") is almost entirely incorrect, because the only country which is actually afraid of Russian military intervention is Georgia.

Poland, Ukraine, Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania. the governments of these countries, not the populatuions.

Ukraine is debatable, the rest is just your claim. Do you have something to back it up it, or not?

Who cares

Exactly. Even if the Russians were serious it wouldn't matter because the shield isn't being used to counteract Russia.

Medvedev was just jealous that the whole world talks only about Obama these days and he decided to create a small distrubance. ;)

Medvedev was just jealous that the whole world talks only about Obama these days and he decided to create a small distrubance. ;)
Pretty much. Though sticking missiles on my family's old lands does get me somewhat pissed. :p

Hahahaha, I missed the part about extending presidential terms.

Looks like Ralph ran away in tears :lol:

Well, anyway, the extension of presidential term to 6 years would be just another nail into the coffin of Russian democracy.

Top Bottom