Military Doctrines / Promotion System Rework

Military Doctrines / Promotion System Rework 1.703

NOTE: Don't download this update unless you are not using CQUI

Ewok-Bacon-Bits updated Military Doctrines / Promotion System Rework with a new update entry:

Modular

Read the rest of this update entry...

This despite not changing any functionality is a big update as half the mod was moved around so let me know if you guys have any problems.

Because of this it won't be compatible with CQUI because the launchbar replaces it, which I think is not working completely right ATM. This has been true with the policy manager mod that I got sort of the structure from. I could add a hotkey for the doctrine screen (as it is invisible if both mods are active). I did not upload this version to steam because I think people like the CQUI mod, so I have both until it gets sorted out. I wonder if you guys are having a different experience? Does the policy manager work with both or does CQUI hide the launchbar item.

==============================

First let me say I enjoy your concept so far!
I was unwilling to run civ without some form of UI tweak and modified your filepriority to "1" and worked great with NQEUI. It no longer showed the demographics, which I didn't care about anyways. However, everything else worked fine between the two mods.
Now, I really like utilizing Steam to keep my games and files inline usually. Is there other updates you implemented, or some issue with changing the file priority, that I should unload Steam's version of your mod until you upload it there?

Thanks for your hard work in making Civ more enjoyable!
-Mellox

There shouldn't be any problems with that. For future updates I'm not sure if the modular update which isn't on steam will work with NQEUI as with CQUI, in that case file priority wouldn't effect anything. But if those don't work I'll just keep two different versions of the mod like it is now.

@Ewok-Bacon-Bits Just noticed that the Wedge Formations give +4 Strength to all cavalry while the Condensed Charges only give +4 strength to heavy cavalry. Both are tier 1, so why should I pick the latter? A small suggestion: Add a new line before the Green text in all the boxes in the doctrine to make it just a little more friendly to read the text. Shouldn't be a problem with the size of the boxes versus length of text as far as I can tell.

There's a small typo in a lot of the text: Should be "versus", not "verse"

Really loving the mod so far. It actually makes me change strategy a bit. Before I only build infantry early on to deal with barbarians. Now I try to build a more varied army so that I can get the valuable doctrine XP points in e.g. ranged and cavalry classes too :goodjob:

\Skodkim

Oh ya I have noticed that before, I need to change that Heavy Cavalry promotion bonus. And ya I can add a newline to each and change that typo:)

==============================

First let me say I enjoy your concept so far!
I was unwilling to run civ without some form of UI tweak and modified your filepriority to "1" and worked great with NQEUI. It no longer showed the demographics, which I didn't care about anyways. However, everything else worked fine between the two mods.
Now, I really like utilizing Steam to keep my games and files inline usually. Is there other updates you implemented, or some issue with changing the file priority, that I should unload Steam's version of your mod until you upload it there?

Thanks for your hard work in making Civ more enjoyable!
-Mellox

Mellox -- what did you specifically do to make that work? I have been running the Modular version of Military Doctrines with NQEUI -- individual promotions are working just fine, but the Doctrines button on the TopPanel is not showing up at all -- so basically, I am able to "halfway" play with this mod.

If you can highlight specifically what you did (or upload the modified file), would appreciate it.

g

You may want to use the steam version - which I can upload here if its easier, I havn't checked but NQEUI might still replace the launchbar (like CQUI) and if that is the case then it would prevent it from showing up.

Ewok-Bacon-Bits updated Military Doctrines / Promotion System Rework with a new update entry:

Good job on the quick fixes (as always) - I know a company that makes games who could learn something from that :goodjob:

Just a little reminder about the barbarian cap we discussed and especially a with for a hot key to the doctrines screen (the game makes me crazy with all this moving the window around every time I try to click one of the launch bar buttons!).

\Skodkim

Gamebraker mod if you aren't a war lover player. AI wage wars all the time so they have level 10-16 units. You have 3. Instant kill...

First of all, thanks for this great mod. I use it with the CQUI mod which has an "unofficial" fix called CQUI - Community Edition. This version fixes the summer patch issues but it wasn't made by the original author but other eager fans. As far as I know there is no official CQUI fix ATM.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1125169247&searchtext=

Unfortunately with this CQUI version the doctrines button on the top panel doesn't show up.
Can you fix it, please?
Thanks

Sure I can look into it, what version are you using steam or civfanatics? If it isn't working with the civfanatics one you should be able to press 'd' and it will pop-up I think.

I'm using civfanatics version and pressing "d" works and pops up the panel! Thanks for the tip. :)
If you fix it and make the doctrines button visible that would be just perfect.
Thanks again.

Cool and the steam version will have it properly in the launchbar but won't have the last update which included the hotkey. I want to see if order matters when I get back to my computer but it may not be possible but I will at least upload the steam version as a secondary version here because one works with some mods and another with other mods.

Ya I will have to have two versions in order for them to work with different mods, right now that is civfanatics and steam. Let me know if anyone wants me to upload the steam version here. And to clarify, the steam version is compatible with anything that replaces the launchbar. The civfanatics version works with anything that uses the hook method.

So how do you handle saving doctrine data in between games? Looking at your code it seems like you save the data using something to do with a specialized string in GameConfigurations, but I'm not too sure how it works.

You can't save tables only strings so I condensed the table into a string and back into a table when loading. Someone might have a more efficient method but that is what I have been doing. GameConfiguration.SetValue will save it but this can only be done in the UI context which is annoying. GameConfiguration.GetValue will load that value, it can be loaded in both contexts but is only loaded once upon entering a loaded game for the script context so you can't use it to pass values between contexts.

Top Bottom