Military Fortifications, Bunkers, Pillboxes, etc.

tom2050

Deity
Military Fortifications, Bunkers, Pillboxes, etc...

Welcome, here you will find my units for land and sea fortifications of various types.

Any constructive criticisms, comments, or suggestions on how an existing units can be improved is more than welcome.

Important Notes!
All units come with Large/Small/Unit32 PCX files, as well as Sound Files (unless otherwise noted).

UNITS:
---------

Fort Eben-Emael Cupola
Maunsell Army Fort
Maunsell Sea Fort (Sealand)

-

looks familiar
Spoiler :

I love it Tom! Nice work. I'll have to hold off updating the forts in my WW2 scenario until I see what other goodies you come up with.

looks familiar

I knew you made that ;) I sized it to about the same size as yours also. It's only ever-so-slightly different (big concrete slab extending out), but it helps a bit setting everything up to a similar one first before I start doing other ones.

Might as well use your expertise to help myself out a bit!

Civ Colors have been added. This unit faces only in the SW direction (having it rotate makes no sense). It does have it's weaponry face in the appropriate direction and fire at enemy vessels.

The fort housed two 3.75-inch guns and two 40 mm Bofors guns; although those are both AA guns, I gave the 3.75 (similar to an 88 but larger) a more dramatic attack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunsell_Sea_Forts#Maunsell_sea_forts

Download here... MaunsellSeaFort.rar

Unit32, Large/Small pcx, and Sound Files included.

These will be a challenge to implement in game (if only paradrop worked for sea units!) but where there's a will & all that.

Fine work.

:goodjob: ,

Oz

I read somewhere that not only sea-units are problems.
The AI is reluctant to paradrop defensive units...

Hopefully I am wrong or remember it all wrong.

I read somewhere that not only sea-units are problems.
The AI is reluctant to paradrop defensive units...

Hopefully I am wrong or remember it all wrong.

Yes, AI will not airdrop defensive or artillery units.. it will only airdrop offensive units.

But this unit can act as an immobile naval power unit; it (the AI) will bombard anything within range, and can be a protective platform to ships in it's area; along with good anti-aircraft abilities (since all 4 guns were actually AA guns).

Since this unit doesn't have a helipad, it wouldn't be a carrier-type unit; but for an oil rig with a helipad (that I will probably do eventually), that could be tagged as a naval carrier.

Yes, AI will not airdrop defensive or artillery units.. it will only airdrop offensive units.

But this unit can act as an immobile naval power unit; it (the AI) will bombard anything within range, and can be a protective platform to ships in it's area; along with good anti-aircraft abilities (since all 4 guns were actually AA guns).

Since this unit doesn't have a helipad, it wouldn't be a carrier-type unit; but for an oil rig with a helipad (that I will probably do eventually), that could be tagged as a naval carrier.

Do you know how the AI will react on having this "fort" offensive but still much higher defense than offense. Will the AI still regard it better defensive and yet then NOT airdropping it.

This question evolves into my idea of having TWO different IFVs. One being able to airdrop, but still active as fast moving defense. Clicking it offensive and but having higher defensive rating than offensive.
The basic idea is to have the Bradley as regular IFV and the Stryker more as an airdrop, faster less defensive IFV but tagged as offensive so the AI hopefully will use in fast deployments.
Still the modern paratrooper being the main attacking airdropped unit and the Bradley the defensive top unit arriving later with the Abrams.
Russian could have this combo with BTRs and BMPs. Just experimenting.

Do you know how the AI will react on having this "fort" offensive but still much higher defense than offense. Will the AI still regard it better defensive and yet then NOT airdropping it.

This question evolves into my idea of having TWO different IFVs. One being able to airdrop, but still active as fast moving defense. Clicking it offensive and but having higher defensive rating than offensive.
The basic idea is to have the Bradley as regular IFV and the Stryker more as an airdrop, faster less defensive IFV but tagged as offensive so the AI hopefully will use in fast deployments.
Still the modern paratrooper being the main attacking airdropped unit and the Bradley the defensive top unit arriving later with the Abrams.
Russian could have this combo with BTRs and BMPs. Just experimenting.

If it's tagged as offensive strat, then AI will airdrop, no matter what the offensive/def values actually are (must be higher than 0 :)). If it's tagged with both off and def strat, then it depends on what the AI decides to use the unit as (it makes a choice and then sticks with that choice for what seems to be remainder of the game; although it's Possible it may change the strategy from time to time). So what you mention should work just fine.

If it's tagged as offensive strat, then AI will airdrop, no matter what the offensive/def values actually are (must be higher than 0 :)). If it's tagged with both off and def strat, then it depends on what the AI decides to use the unit as (it makes a choice and then sticks with that choice for what seems to be remainder of the game; although it's Possible it may change the strategy from time to time). So what you mention should work just fine.

As best as I can tell, the AI sticks to its initial assignment of an "A&D" unit as either "A" or "D" for the entire game.

Also - @tom2050 et. al. - the AI will use a high-enough "D" value "A" unit as a "D" unit, although the ratio has to be way off. E.g., a A=1 D=15 unit flagged "A" will be used as "D".

Best As Always,

Oz

Civ Colors have been added. This unit faces only in the SW direction (having it rotate makes no sense). It does have it's weaponry face in the appropriate direction and fire at enemy vessels.

The fort housed two 3.75-inch guns and two 40 mm Bofors guns; although those are both AA guns, I gave the 3.75 (similar to an 88 but larger) a more dramatic attack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunsell_Sea_Forts#Maunsell_sea_forts

I have no idea where the individual who made the post on Wikipedia came up with a 3.75 inch British anti-aircraft gun, as no such weapon existed. The standard British anti-aircraft gun was a 3.7 inch weapon, a shade better than the best 88mm in the anti-aircraft role, especially when using proximity-fuzed ammunition. The final version, the 3.7 inch Mark 6, was probably the most highly developed anti-aircraft gun ever made prior to the developement of the guided missile. For more information, see Ian Hogg's British and American Artillery of World War II.

If you are going to do this properly, you should take a look at Ray Lewis's Seacoast Fortifications, Ian Hogg's books on fortifications, and some of the Confederate seacoast defenses from the US Civil War, such as the defenses of Wilmington, North Carolina. You might want to consider the US disappearing guns in various calibers, the US 12 inch seacoast mortar batteries with 2 and 4 mortar pits, the Dover Turret, the Martello Towers, and Henry the Eighth's seacoast fortifications.

Christopher Duffy also did an excellent series on fortification from circa 1500 to 1850, covering both land and seacoast fortifications, giving excellent drawings and photographs of examples of Vauban, Coehoorn, and Dalhberg's designs, along with an excellent discussion of Russian fortification in the 1500 to 1800. There is another book called Strongholds of the Realm that provides a very good summary of fortification in England from pre-Roman times through World War 2. There is also Sidney Toy's classic work, Castles: Their Construction and History, available in Dover reprint.

Damn, I knew something was wrong with the unit! Now I know - it's the 0.05 inch difference in caliber! Tom, you totally have to re-do this one. Shame on you!

;)

Top Bottom