mm17: Napoleon Dynamite AWE-1CC

Mark1031

Deity
OK I am continuing the series of AW-1CC. If you think this sounds hard well it may well be but we did it with ease on Monarch. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=173551

Settings:
Standard map
AW
1CC
Emp
Archi Map
High water
No tech Trading
I will roll until I have a nice spot with access to iron and oil.
Will pick all non industrious opponents.
Only victory condition is conquest.

We are Napoleon: Industrious and Aggressive. And we will need to get to Dynamite/Gunpowder units before the AI's to make a go of it.

Mark
Grey Fox
pindicator
Xtream_Rockstar
Open

I knew I could count on Grey Fox, Come on people this will be fun.

And people call me masochistic for training for a marathon, sheesh!

OCCs shouldn't take too much time on a turnset, even if we will be :hammer: on the AI all game long. Sign me up!

OK Maybe if I post the start we can get some more interest. I don;t think I have ever had stone and marble in 1 city before. Also as required the city will have access to oil and iron. With 3 food resources this is quite nice and all the forest give us +4 health.

NEED 2 MORE PLAYERS.

Wow, pretty nice start. 8 forests, cows, crabs and deers. That's a total of +7 health. So happiness will be main problem until Drama. May want to grab one early religion to cope with that soonish.

With stones and marbles, and being industrious, I can foresee us nabbing the Pyramids, the Oracle, and the TGLibrary. Parthenon will be nice too. Deja-vu. ;)

I am worried about the crabs ... as again reminiscent of mm15, the crabs is on the other side of the island, not easily accessible. I just hope the land at the NE don't extend too much further.

Commerce will be a huge problem. In mm16, we have huge boost with the gold. Here, marble is the only source of commerce, with the river plains (where the hut and deers are) providing later commerce boost. As such, we might want the Colossus also ... if we have copper.

--

If there is room ill join i just got back my civ life so im ready for SGS

I like the analysis you put forward GreyFox. It does look like our strength is production and not commerce; as such we may consider beneficial ways of transforming all our production capabilities into commerce-boosters. Wonders are a good choice, a quick library and academy is possible with our food bonuses, especially if we can get to the crabs.

With 7 coast tiles, I like Colossus if we can get it. If think if we were to use Oracle to pick up Metal Casting then we could get Colossus even without bronze: our industrious trait would speed along the pre-requisite forge as well as the wonder. Another wonder to consider picking up would be Hanging Gardens for the +1 health.

OK I started but we could use another player.

4000: Hut gives 38 gp. Start work on a warrior. Research to fishing for the crab and to work water tiles .

3800: Warrior->worker.

3720: fishing in switch worker->workboat.

3440: Mysticism->Polytheism

3400: Buddhism FIADL

3320: Boat done back to worker.

2960: We found Hinduism. Research->Masonry.

2680: Masonry->Hunting

2440: Hunting->Priesthood

2200: Priesthood->writing

2080: Almost size 5 and revolt to Hindu.

2000: Pyramids and growth in 7. I am trying for the CS slingshot. As always research is the key. Writing is due in 8, and with a library and 2 scientists in representation I am hoping we can time CoL and Oracle before it falls to another civ.

Well good luck.

Grey Fox take 20 or a few more to the point where the Oracle race is decided. Good luck.

My view on this is that we keep grabing wonders and don;t worry about military until we meet another civ. The key at this stage is research and wonders. Also, the sooner we get a scientist for the academy the better. The only way we loose wonders is by not researching first. After Pyramids and Oracle the next to fall will be the lighthouse. While that wouldn't help us at all as we will have no trade routes it is a very powerful wonder on Archi map and we might try for it just for denial purposes.

Mark
Grey Fox (UP)
pindicator (on deck)
Xtream_Rockstar
Open

Take 20 or more if nesessary to finish a wonder race. There isn't much to do at this early stage except pick the right techs and hit enter.

The race is on ...

Seeing that Paris is limited by happiness at 5, I decided to MM the city so that it will slow growth from 7 turns to 19 turns by workinhg on a forest instead of the deer. Turned out to be a :smoke:. Why?

Before I tell you why, some good news: we are not the smallest civ! :woohoo:

In fact, we are right in the middle.

5 turns later, the pyramids was built:

Here is why I :smoke: ... with the pyramids, I revolted us to Representation, and realized that it will give us +2 happiness. So I should not have impeded Paris' growth ... :crazyeye:. Ah, nevermind, at least I get pyramids 2 turns earlier by MM'ing. And of-course I sped up her growth again, so she is now at size 7, which is the happiness limit.

Once pyramids is in, I built us a library and start 2 scientists (actually 1 first, and added another 1 when Paris grow to 7) to hasten research. As a result, we got CoL in turn #80:

Oracle is now 1 turn away. Just Press Enter (TM) for the next player :D

We also got a useless Confused Miss. Let the next player have the honor of deleting it, or use it as the fog-buster instead of the warrior.

I set us researching sailing next, as we need a lighthouse to work on the coastal tiles to further our growth and economy.

Next step can be either one of the following:

(1) Get Alphabet and Literature to build the TGL. It will be a huge boost.

(2) Get Mining, Bronze Working, and Metal Casting to build a forge and Colossus.

I prefer the (1) route, since TGL is more useful than the Colossus (only 7 coastal tiles), and is obsoleted much later.

We also need animal husbandry at some point to build the pastures on the cows, and BW + pottery to chop away one forest by the southern river to build a cottage for added commerce.

>>> The Save (875BC) <<<

GreyFox said:
We also need animal husbandry at some point to build the pastures on the cows, and BW + pottery to chop away one forest by the southern river to build a cottage for added commerce.

lurker's comment:
Would you want to chop all forest outside of the usable tiles of Paris. I see a lot of free shields available. :D

Very nice. The Pyramids followed by the CS sling-shot Oracle. We should have a fighting chance now. I would set research to keep us constantly building wonders/buildings. IMO we want of course AH for the cows and then Mono for the Org boost. For wonders if the great lighthouse hasn't fallen after we build our lighthouse I would go fo it for denial purposes. Parthenon can wait. I think I would then go for the library as it is the most useful. We will not get as much out of the Colossus as I do not expect we will work that many water tiles.

Mark
Grey Fox
pindicator (UP)
Xtream_Rockstar(on deck)
Open

got it

will play... hmmm, hopefully tomorrow, but it's Last Thursday Art Walk on Alberta St tomorrow and that doesn't usually stop until long after the sun goes down :cool:

Since I've seen Mark do these insane scenerios before I'm going to trust his judgement and head for Great Lighthouse if possible, after that Great Library. With No Tech Trading, we may have a shot at picking up Gr. Lighthouse tho.

Some good :jesus:, some bad :satan:, some ugly :yuck:

The Good :jesus:

Of course the Oracle came in, and with I picked up Civil Service. I had to scroll a ways down the list to find it, though!

I revolted immediately to Beaurocracy.

And that very same turn:

Now, despite the tempting prospect of Lightbulbing Mining (we could be the first people to have ever done it; think of the notoriety!) or using him to rush a powerhouse like Chichen Itza, I did see through those temptations and settled him in Paris with his net 4.5 :hammers: and 7.5 :science: per turn.

Once out of anarchy I noticed that Sailing was due in 3, and the Parthenon was due in 4. I know we had spoken of delaying Parthenon, but there was nothing else pressing to build during that time, and with only a one turn delay on The Great Lighthouse, I decided to let it complete.

So in 750BC:

Afterwards came a Lighthouse and then I queued up The Great Lighthouse.

Every tech had me weighing going for Alphabet -> Literature immediately or pick up more cheap techs. The cheap techs ended up winning out, for better or worse (maybe this belongs under the bad or ugly parts, but that's to-be-decided), as after Animal Husbandry I picked up Monotheism (although I have not yet revolted to Org Rel), then went for Mining and Bronze Working, thinking of the chops to help our Great Library.

The Bad :satan:

It fell in 575BC. We were still 3 turns away on it, so the Parthenon wasn't the cause of it's demise. If we are looking for good news, we did get 128 gold out of it.

I switched to a Hindu Temple and switched Paris to increase it's growth. I was tempted to fire a scientist or two, but I really wanted to get an academy.

Which leads us to.....

The Ugly :yuck:

I really wanted an Academy, oh well.
Now this one we can blame on the Parthenon. So what do we do with him?

1) Settle him for +3:gold: and +3:science: and +12:culture: per turn, but I am not a big fan of settle Great Artists in OCC

2) Lightbulb him, but not right away. Here is the top of the Great Artist tech preference, with our turns to research in parentheses:

Literature (7 turns)
Drama (10 turns)
Music (19 turns)

So we could use him to pick up the Great Library faster, OR wait until after that to get to Drama faster to pick Globe Theatre, OR wait until both have been researched and hope to use him to pick up Music first, giving us a tech for free if we get there first.

I figure this is a good spot to hand off: we have the Artist to deal with, and next turn Bronze Working finishes. So hope I did all right for my first AWE OCC round.

The Save, 525BC

Okay so this is my pick up so ill probley settle him for 3+:commerce: 3+:science: 12+:culture: but ill wait for some comments before ill start

Remember I haven't revolted yet to Organized Religion, as I didn't think it was worth it while building the Great Lighthouse (and afterwards I forgot). If we're going to civic swap, better do it sooner than later: we have a lot of infra and wonders to build still.

Great job getting the Parthenon ... too bad abt the Glighthouse, but guess it is either that or the Oracle, oracle is better.

Re Homer: assuming we run 100% research all the way, the artists superspecializts will net us an equivalent of 6 raw beakers per turn (culture is useless, so let's ignore it). Drama is 300 beakers, and Music is 600 beakers, so its 50 turns saving at best (ignoring library multiplier). Thus settling might be better. Does super speciailist taints the Great People pool gene?

--

Top Bottom