MNOTW XVII: The Cursed Blade (Game Thread)

Can anyone with brain cells to spare do a vote count? I know it's just a few but I'm so distracted I'd still probably get it wrong.

fudge it unless someone is willing to move with me I'm staying.

My vote tally, 56 minutes to go:

Lohrenswald: 3 Al Sipsclar, Arakhor, Renata
Renata:1 Lohrenswald
Arakhor:1 Snerk

Not Voting: Winston Hughes

Please correct me if I missed someone's change.

I guess this is it, then. We're right or it's game over. Glgl.

Evening Day 3
The painter had begun to talk of killing people, or at least trying to do so, and perhaps as a result, there was a fairly clear consensus. Lohrenswald had to fade into oblivion. He struggled in the arms of his accusers, flailing out with his hands, put eventually they subdued him, and, with a more painful death as the only alternative, he faded away into a shade.

Tally
Lohrenswald:3 Al Sipsclar, Arakhor, Renata
Arakhor:2 Snerk, Winston Hughes
Renata:1 Lohrenswald

Living 5/9
Al Sipsclar- Blacksmith
Arakhor: Historian
Renata- Hunter
Snerk-Alchemist
Winston Hughes-Fisherman

Dead 4/9
Yakostovian-Weaver Killed Night 1Town
Cuthillius-Child Lynched Day 2
Takhisis-Farmer Killed Night 2 Town
Lohrenswald- Painter Lynched Day 3

Begin Night 3
Night ends in just under 24 hours
Night Orders to me.

Last edited:
Morning Day 4
That night, Snerk walked back to his house, whistling. He'd just chopped the historian, Arakhor into small bits, and he was sure that the attempted thieves must be all but eliminated. He was really growing into the role of protector of the Nether Blade, wasn't he!He carefully cleaned and polished the blade, admiring the new engravings that represented his exploits and carefully sheathed it and hit it under his bed, like always, before going to sleep.

The sun broke through his window the next morning, and he stretched and got out of bed. He reached under his bed.... and it wasn't there. He crouched down to look for it, but still, nothing!

He heard a voice behind him: "Looking for this?" , and felt cold steel on his bare shoulder. He slowly turned and saw the blacksmith, Al Sipclar standing there.
"Wh... Why, yes! And what are you doing with it?"
"None of your concern. It won't be around long, but you'll be around for even less time!"

Snerk tried to move, but he wasn't fast enough, and soon his head lay on the floor.

Winston Hughes was heading into town from his fisherman's hut and ran into the hunter walking the same way. "Good morning, Renata! What's up? Have you seen any of the others?"
"Nope! I'm sure they must be around here somewhere. Come on, we'll find them together!"
They walked together to the central square, and saw Al Sipsclar, blade in hand grinning.

"You? You're the thief? The one who killed Autolycus? The one who butchered all these people?"
"Well, only one of those, but close enough"
"You'll pay for this! It's two on one, and you can't kill us both!"
"I'm afraid you're right, it is two on one, but not the way you thought" said Renata quietly, as her spear pierced between Winston's ribs. He fell to the ground with a strangled gurgle.

Al Sipsclar wedged the Blade between two rocks, and, straining, attempted to destroy the Nether Blade. It let out a horrendous shriek, and then snapped off at the hilt. One way or another, a new day, perhaps a brighter day had dawned for the Sidar people, they would have to find a new identity and strategy for self preservation than the historic feats of a cursed blade, and Renata knew just the person to lead them. A thin smile slowly crept across her face.

Spoiler :
FLAWLESS INNOVATOR VICTORY!

"Living" 4/9
Al Sipsclar- Blacksmith Won, Day 4 INNOVATOR
Renata- Hunter Won, Day 4 INNOVATOR
Snerk- Alchemist Defeated Day 4 Town
Winston Hughes- Fisherman Defeated Day 4 Town

Dead 5/9
Yakostovian- Weaver Killed Night 1 Town
Cuthillius- Child Lynched Day 2 Town
Takhisis- Farmer Killed Night 2Town
Lohrenswald- Painter Lynched Day 3Town
Arakhor- Historian Killed Night 3 Town

Oh my god. We did it.

Great job, Al, thanks for playing with me. Thanks for game, Auto. :)

Oh, and sorry to everybody for coming in late. I hadn't been paying attention and didn't know the game had started until five minutes before my first post.

Al and Renata, eh? Nice, well played. Thanks for hosting, Auto!

Sorry for making all the wrong kills! This game was super hard though, and town wasn't too chatty.

The Yako kill was random-y. His D1 was IMO scum-plausible. Plus I figured he might be kinda busy since he's hosting a game on GitP.

Killing Tak was just gut as he seemed a little different this game and there was this one comment on some vig stuff that pinged me a little.

N3 was a toss-up between Al and Arakhor. Al seemed a little scummy but Arakhor had a couple of specific posts that pinged me. My initial plan was killing Al, and in private I even told him he was up for the chop to see what he had to say about it. But I liked the PM respons from Al a little better than that from Arakhor so I went with the latter. Silly me.

I suspected Renata a little more than Winston but I couldn't find any good reasons to kill her.

Paranoid over game mechanics worsened my play. Had a feeling it was a bad idea to let scum know I had the blade. But in hindsight I should just have been open about my role and encourage more discussion, either public or via PMs, on who to vig. So I didn't PM with either Winston or Renata this game. Probably a loss.

Don't delete my posts

Moderator Action: Please do not discuss moderator actions in public, please contact the moderator in question via PM (Conversation). Also, your language was deleted as it is inappropriate. leif
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Al was guilty? What a shock.

I'm sorry you feel that way, Lohrenswald.

The set-up:
One bloodthirsty vig based on item
One one-shot town thief (Cuthillius). His steal, if used, was the first thing that happened. A failed theft revealed the thief to their target. This was a probably unnecessary (given the scum's weakness) hedge against a day one lynch of snerk, since the sword, while it nominally would go up for vote if its holder was lynched, would invariably be stolen in the night..
Two scum. They could either scan one person for the sword, or individually steal (their steal happened at end of night). A failed theft revealed the thief to their target. They also automatically won if they ever held the sword for two day phases (Didn't have to be consecutive). This also probably wasn't needed, since it was unlikely they would go two days and not be at the win threshold by numbers.

When I set out to design this game, I had a few things in mind:
My bete noire has always been designing a kill-less scum team that was suitably powered. I don't think they were, but they won, so I thinK I'm going to move the goalposts and declare victory.

In a Sidar game, I will always have a post-lynch participation feature, so that was never in doubt. I considered more complicated or direct methods, but decided talking was sufficient.

I wasn't going to have confirmed town participants, so no role-reveals on lynch followed automatically. I decided to keep role-reveals on NK, as a slight boon to the town and hint that it was plausible that a scum could be the target of the NK.

I thought about giving the scum more power, but on this site, no role-reveals tends to throw the town for a loop, so I called it good.

If I had it to do over, I might have let each scum scan separately, but overall, I'm actually pretty satisfied with the balance and the outcome.

I never suspected Snerk was the one that killed me.

Following from death, I was suspicious of Al, and absolutely convinced that Lohr was scum. Renata was never on my radar.

It looks like I have got to get more practice in to up my game.

My favorite part of this game as it played out, which probably added to the scum's feeling of being underpowered, was that they chose to scan the same people Snerk killed the first two nights, so Al started getting a little paranoid that their scan actually killed.

Ok so they did have a steal ability. Good, perhaps not so bad I didn't reveal my role after all.

Top Bottom