[TERRAIN] Mod concept--[villages and forts]/[two textures on a tile exploit?] (HELP)

AzraelZephyrian

Chieftain
I noticed that roads are able to have improvements over them. This makes me wonder: can I define a texture+model (most likely the Feitoria, mott-and-bailey, and uh...berringer crater...) as a road/railroad-style asset somehow (I know Whoward made the tunnel-borer produce a route improvement)? I'd like to add a type of build action that drops a standard fortification texture (or berringer crater) on the plot as a route, then put a non-route improvement (with defense bonuses) on the plot.

That way I can make castle villages with palisades (feitoria), foxholes with woodworks (crater), and walled forts (Mott&bailey).

Some more ideas:
Spoiler :
Hell, we could also make little villages--drop a castle building texture on top of an ancient-era trading post.

The "village" or "outpost" improvement could culture-bomb the adjacent tiles, could act as a fortification, and could allow a city to work those tiles. It might send production or food, depending on era, to the nearest city. Maybe there could be two classes (mercantile and militaristic); when pillaged, the militaristic one may spawn a garrison of one of a copy of one of the troops you currently have deployed. Mercantile could allow tile-working within a certain small radius.

It would make colonization so much more fun!

You could even make an ART_DEF with randomization--e.g. mercantile may spawn with a porcelain tower .gr2 on top of a trading post, or it might spawn with an oracle...or a temple of Artemis! So many possibilities...

Or drop a barbar fort on top of a trading post and call it a "tribal village" (which we could then allow to spawn units from a city state, until it turns into a city state, ala barbarians evolved.

Last edited:
alternatively you could just make a feature and improvement exist at the same time...

Top Bottom