[Mod] MareNostrum

Count me in on the team, I’m definitely keen on the project.. it’s exactly the idea I was thinking of.. I was reading on the Ancient Mediterranean thread, someone was saying that they’d prefer a map just from Italy and no further east.. (i.e. no Greece.) I think there is some merit to a more detailed map, but whatever, I’ll see what I can do soon.
I don’t know much about it right now.. I know you can import a template blue map into Total War map editor, but that’s different.. the map on Colonization is prettier than Total War map, the coast and the sea are very good. I’ll probably go with the map that I’ve posted here..
What I’ve seen of the various screenshots so far looks very good..

Koma do you think you could figure a way to dispaly the nif (like in the city window) instead of having to use these full length icons. They area pain to make.

Unfortunately no, can't make nifs dragable or attach them to panels. :(

Count me in on the team, I’m definitely keen on the project.

Welcome Blue-moustache. :) We could definitely need some help. Maybe that map could be useful for placing cities: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/AntikeGriechen1.jpg.

Unfortunately no, can't make nifs dragable or attach them to panels. :(

Welcome Blue-moustache. :) We could definitely need some help. Maybe that map could be useful for placing cities: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/AntikeGriechen1.jpg.

Right, thanks.. i noticed before on my map that there's nothing going on in mainland Spain.. i've got a few more towns in France, but there must have been nothing in Spain at that time.. except on the coast. I'll have to do some research on that.

I wrote a (very experimental) Modcomp for Mare Nostrum that attaches the Europe screen to a city placed on map (instead outside).

Script is executed at game start. It will:

- remove all Europe travel zones
- add a city for each king player on map
- put a Europe zone on top of that city
- reduce travel time to Europe to 0 turns
- and change starting location for player to king's city plot

:crazyeye:

I've had some touble loading saved games, but i think i've got a partial solution to that. I've got into the world-map editor.. it's really good.. i've started to experiment now, i need to learn how to use it. Can we import a map template? i saw 'load screenshots' but nothing is showing up as a JPEG or other files.. if not, i'll just paint the med-sea freehand.. using a map reference.

I've more or less finished North Africa.. i'm doing it free-hand, this shot is of Tunisia.. do you want me to upload the map file so you can check on progress? i dont know how to place cities and a lot of other things, but i have created the map, to be a reasonable representation of West Europe med-sea area.. on a square that is given with the map editor.. the extent of the map is from the coast of Spain, North Africa as far as the other side south of Greece, and the starting ships are placed over in the sea area to the right.. and north as far as france. If i give you the map.. you'll be able to work with it?

Oh, nice. This looks awesome. Looking forward to a release with the map and extant home cities!

Unfortunately, when I click on the download button it redirects me to the FileFront homepage.

Ok, i worked on that homecity script i wrote about a few posts ago. I fixed a bug that prevents AI player from founding cities.

And I discovered you can also access Europe screen when entering a foreign king's city. :eek:

I have now two possibilites:

a)
I can seperate Europe screen for each King city, means you would have access to 3-4 different trade cities. I think I can even attach a unique economy to each Europe screen. But I'm not sure if it's too much micro management. You would have to keep track of multiple Europe screens. Units recruiting and purchasing would only be allowed in your home city (we won't steal units from other AI, right?). Keep in mind that right now Diplomacy with foreign kings isn't possible. Foreign king would have no possibility to stop you from entering his city.

b)
I can take Ekmeks idea for making Rome the king player and only create one Europe screen city on the map (= Rome). All players would go to that city for trading.
I would try to bring in the inland sea script from Civ4, placing Rome at the middle top area.

Plan b) is much easier to implement, means lesser bugs and better AI behaviour.

What do you think about it? :)

EDIT:

Uploaded a first version. It works like I described in b) but without inland sea script.

Rome location is centered on map and will be revealed for all players. I also stopped Rome from doing any expansion (hopefully).

instructions:

1) install brand new Mare Nostrum Beta 002
2) install MNEuropeScriptRome

Sometimes AI player creates it's first city inland having no sea access to Rome. Stupid AI doesn't know it could use caravans to access Europe screen. :crazyeye: I'll try to fix that.

great work Koma. I'll try it soon but right now i'm trying to get Beta2 on file front. it has all new units (cityy icons too but i still need buttons) and your great audio files. its 215MB

Unfortunately, when I click on the download button it redirects me to the FileFront homepage.

hmm...i got that too. well i'll have beta 2 upsoon anyways.

I've finished the map.. how do i upload it?

There is a "Manage Attachements"-button in the Additional Options area below Post Icons.

I'll try it soon but right now i'm trying to get Beta2 on file front. it has all new units (cityy icons too but i still need buttons) and your great audio files. its 215MB

Great! People won't play Mare Nostrum with pink boxes. Now we have to get rid of the question marks. And the Europe screen needs improvement of course (I'm working on it). Later we can redo the advisor screens.

What are the different civs then?

I've finished the map.. here's the download link..

http://www.ziddu.com/download/3961611/medsea2.5.rar.html

it's done.. (i like it anyway)..:eek:

I like it. Especially how you made north Europe smaller than the mediterr. sea. Don't waste time with resources, we should made them random anyway. And I get some Python exceptions when starting your map with Mare Nostrum:

Spoiler :

Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_WASHINGTON
Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_LOGAN
Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_HUAYNA_CAPAC
Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_OCONOSTOTA
Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_SITTING_BULL
Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_AGUEYBANA
Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_MONTEZUMA
Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_CUNHAMBEBE
Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_MANGAS_COLORADAS
Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_STUYVESANT
Can't find type enum for type tag CIVILIZATION_DUTCH
Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_CHAMPLAIN
Can't find type enum for type tag CIVILIZATION_FRANCE
Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_BOLIVAR
Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_ENGLISH_KING
Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_FRENCH_KING
Can't find type enum for type tag CIVILIZATION_FRANCE_EUROPE
Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_SPANISH_KING
Can't find type enum for type tag LEADER_DUTCH_KING
Can't find type enum for type tag CIVILIZATION_DUTCH_EUROPE

You can fix that by opening your map in a text editor and replacing the leader and civ types with the types from Mare Nostrum's CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml and CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml (inside MareNostrumBETA_0.02\Assets\XML\Civilizations).

Btw, who is Mrs. E Paul? :p

I like it. Especially how you made north Europe smaller than the mediterr. sea. Don't waste time with resources, we should made them random anyway. And I get some Python exceptions when starting your map with Mare Nostrum:

You can fix that by opening your map in a text editor and replacing the leader and civ types with the types from Mare Nostrum's CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml and CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml (inside MareNostrumBETA_0.02\Assets\XML\Civilizations).

:p

I dont really understand the techy stuff there.. can you use the map as it is, and sort out the various needs? if you need any alterations to the map, or a new map.. let me know..

I made a modified version of the Inland sea map script from Civ4. I cutted out the land to the east and west, leaving two land masses in the north and south. Starting locations are default ones from Col, meaning all Europe player starts in the east.
You can set climate zones (rocky, temperate, tropical) and sea level.

Top Bottom