1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[mod] Warlords: Total Realism 2.3a

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Houman, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Mexico

Mexico TR senior programmer

2. Enverex

Enverex Chieftain

Great, I'll be waiting then. I don't even bother playing Civ 4 unless it's with this mod now :)

3. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

Alright guys.

The Patch has been released. 2.2.1 It is also Save Game compatible. So no worries. ;-)

Check out first page or our website for download link.

A big thank to the whole team to make this happen despite all the exams and difficulties in life...

Regards
    Houman

4. Mexico

Mexico TR senior programmer

5. BareJag

BareJag Chieftain

Poisonous gas

As the stupid history-reader I am, I last weekend got another idea of weapons in the civilization.

The weapon i Think about is poisonous gas. In every "realistic" games, nuclear weapons in a self-evident continuation of the warfare. Seen in a historic perspective, cemical and biological warfare have been even a bigger part of the warfare.

Here's some examples;
    The westfront in the first world war, the germans, andl later the other countries too, used phosgene, chlorine, mustard gas and so on. In the beging it was spread by the wind, but later by artillery
    In the second world war Hitler hided, but, lucky is, didn't used, the nerve gas sarin, in case of the allied would use gas against them.
    Saddam Hussein used mustard gas, sarin and tabun. This time spread by aircraft.
    Mostly of the big countries, and bigger warfigthing countries have gas in their arsenal, and have been preppared for using it since the beginning of the last century.

Biological weapons have been used for more than 2500 years, but was not used the same way.

In total realism gas would be used a comparable way as tactical nuclear weapons.
    - It casuses high collateral dammage
    - The more modern troops are, the better they can mannage the attacks
    - The developement of gas will be in the not far from the time of rifleing.
    - Attack against a city will decrease the poppulaion, but there'll be a limit how low it can be.
    - Spread buy atrillery and aircraft.
    - Huge effects on international poppularity
    - Cheap

6. BareJag

BareJag Chieftain

Why can't ships attack serveal times each round?
    a single battleship or a single sub facing two small shipps should sink em all.

7. BareJag

BareJag Chieftain

I've allso wondered about this.
    Everyone can be better whit training, so what if uppgrading troops to better ones by using hammers in the city. Somtimes there's simply too less gold avalible.

8. Freakwave

Freakwave Warlord

Hi,

Played this mod before BtS, going to have another look. You can see there's a lot of love in this mod.

I searched for it in the mod files, your website and this thread but could not locate it.

Are there any recommended settings for this mod?

AI agressiveness, Barbarians yes/no? Tech trading yes/no?

Thanks in advance

9. Walter Hawkwood

Walter Hawkwood RI Court Painter

Default settings are exactly what is recommended. Tech trading off and should stay that way, raging barbarians optional but recommended, aggressive AI optional but not recommended (mostly because it still WILL be more aggressive than in vanilla). All the rest to your taste.

10. Freakwave

Freakwave Warlord

alright, forgot to mention is enabling vassal states recommended?

Also might be handy if recommendations were mentioned in the first post and/or in the readme?

Freakwave

11. Walter Hawkwood

Entirely to your personal preference.

Since these settings are default in TR, we kinda figured out they'd stick with people. You are probably right, though.

12. timberwoolf

timberwoolf Warlord

Well, I'm sorry in advance for my question....
    A lot of people asked you- when the BTS version will be out?

But you never answered, just said- wait in patience!
    But, can you at least be more accurate, I mean- a month, 3 months, 6 months?

13. Freakwave

Freakwave Warlord

One of the reason i asked was because i had not played warlords since BtS and i forgot what settings i had played on. I always thought the settings you last played on were saved.

Right now i am playing with the settings i loaded the mod up with, being aggressive ai, no vassal states and no tech trading. First one isnt recommended. So it seems my old settings are dominant.

14. BareJag

BareJag Chieftain

Police / millitary police -troops

How about adding some type of "millitary police" whitsh's speciallity's "internal deffence". Ith should be good at deffending cities, and have attack/deffence bonus against barbarians, guerillas and revolting peasants and slaves. Against other unit's it'dd be weak. It won't be good outside the own (or allied) border either. Meanwille, an exelent troop for non-combatant nations. This troop would maby be added in the later game.

15. timberwoolf

timberwoolf Warlord

millitary police suposed to be the "army" police( to preform the actions of the police inside the army). It has nothing to do with sity difence.

16. Walter Hawkwood

While not a bad idea, I'm not sure if it would be realistic. When things get so dire as "revolt" or "barbarians" go in Civ 4, this is already a problem that should be solved by means of regular army troops. While military police does enforce law, when there are armed insurgents about, proper military units usually do the heavy lifting.

As for non-combatant nations, I'd recommend either relying on cheap irregular units for police duties (especially if you don't want to build up military industry there), or creating a small but mobile "task force". As my experience shows, a couple of heavy cavalry units do the task perfectly early on, while late in game you've got spec ops that can deal with any possible revolt hands-off.

17. Walter Hawkwood

Then it's imperative to earn more gold. Making a choice between a large army and a modern one is quite realistic. Unfortunately all overhauls of the upgrade system are very workhour-hungry and likely to be ill-recieved by the AI.

18. BareJag

BareJag Chieftain

In times of war, the millitary police allso do the same work as the civilian police in civillian areas. And it's specialliced on close(city-)deffence in areas whit small numbers of troops compared to the area they're deffending.
    I am a millitary police in the reserve, so I think i know what we're supposed to do :lol:

In some countries the millitary police allso work aside the civillian police in times of peace, in ways that not are too good for the civilians. There the millitary police are used to prevent upprisings and to keep the people calm.

19. Nez477

Nez477 Chieftain

Do I need to install version 2.2 or whatever before installing 2.2.1?

I have Civ 4 gold, but I think I may still be able to make it work by selecting the warlords directory....

Thanks in advance.

20. Anaztazioch

Anaztazioch Hit in the head too much

2.2.1 is just a patch, you need to have the mod 2.2.
    So yes, you need to install 2.2 before 2.2.1

Civ4 Gold is out problem, as it seems it has changed code. Many gold edition users dont have interface with TR 2.2