Modern Day Communism Boils Away Oppression

Well, Russian LGBTs had better rights under USSR?

No, they didn't. Which means they do now. Russian LGBTs have same rights/freedoms/responsibilities as any other Russians.

They can't get married to people of the same gender, it is true. But no Russian can regardless of [whatever].

They can't go onto a demonstration without discussing its place, time and the amount of participants with local authorities responsible for public safety and getting their approval before they go, it is also true. But it also goes for each and every Russian regardless of [whatever].

They still can sleep with whomever of legal age they like. Exactly like any Russian can.

And exactly like any Russian they can get education, find jobs, vote and be elected, serve in the military, go shopping, have fun and otherwise enjoy their lives.

What's their problem?

And what are they doing in this particular thread anyway?

No, they didn't. Which means they do now. Russian LGBTs have same rights/freedoms/responsibilities as any other Russians.

They can't get married to people of the same gender, it is true. But no Russian can regardless of [whatever].

They can't go onto a demonstration without discussing its place, time and the amount of participants with local authorities responsible for public safety and getting their approval before they go, it is also true. But it also goes for each and every Russian regardless of [whatever].

They still can sleep with whomever of legal age they like. Exactly like any Russian can.

And exactly like any Russian they can get education, find jobs, vote and be elected, serve in the military, go shopping, have fun and otherwise enjoy their lives.

What's their problem?

No, they are being treated like second class citizen. Because unlike heterosexual couples, gay couples can't married the people they loved. They can get fired from their jobs because of their sexual orientation, unlike heterosexuals. Also Unlike heterosexuals, gay people can't adopted either.

They get harass and beaten from various far-right groups and the police does little to nothing to protect them. Also the anti-homosexuality advocacy law suppress any LGBT rights advocacy.

This is the problem, the rampant violence and homophobia towards the gay community.

No, they are being treated like second class citizen.
No, they aren't. They are treated like everyone else, but they want to be treated in a special manner, so they don't get what they want and thus get upset.

Because unlike heterosexual couples, gay couples can't married the people they loved.
But they can. They only need to love someone of the opposite sex first.

Otherwise it is not the matter of biased law but the matter of their personal wishes matching or mismatching what they legally can.

Here's an example:

Imagine there's a country road with a speed limit of 90km/h.

Two guys are there going somewhere, one is riding a scooter, and the other one is driving a sleek red sport car. The scooter driver can't make his buzzer go over the 90 no matter how he tries even if he wants, and the sport car driver feels himself standing when driving 90...

But the speed limit itself, as such, goes to both of them equally, and so it does to anyone regardless if they go in a Buggatty or on a pogo stick. And also regardless to if they are late and need to hurry or can go in a relaxed sight-seeing way.

They can get fired from their jobs because of their sexual orientation, unlike heterosexuals.
I'm pretty sure sexual orientation is not mentioned in the firing paper. Besides, there are jobs requiring some dress code, like bank clerks, police officers, military servicemen, restaurant waiters and others. Refusal to comply may cause firing there, of course.

For instance, I find casual clothes like T-shirts and jeans quite comfortable and I hate to wear a suite and a tie. Thank God I only have to do so 1 week a year. If I refused, my boss would probably remember I used my time in the office chatting with you here, or thought less supportive about my actions in some circumstantial business issues... in other words, he would possibly start looking for a reason to replace me with someone who is more appeasable.

Also, I fear I would have to quit my job if I had to do it more often. Moving to a home-based job would be the first option to explore on my list. Is it some sort of discrimination I'm suffering from, too?

Also Unlike heterosexuals, gay people can't adopted either.
They can't legally do so because they are prohibited by law (then I would like to know the law identifier) or they practically fail to do so for whatever reason?

I can also say here that a single straight male also has minuscule chances to get permission for adoption.

They get harass and beaten from various far-right groups and the police does little to nothing to protect them.
Far-right groups are bezerk everywhere in the world, and they intimidate not only gays but pretty much anyone who they don't like based on not much in particular, like shape of one's nose, or skin color, or some accent people talk with.

This problem exists, but it's not specific to gays, Russia, or gays in Russia.

Same goes to the lack of police activity. Specifically, as a law abiding driver, I can't wait for the police to start doing something about those who drive as if there was no driving code in Russia. Because it often gets dangerous. I am also endangered myself sometimes. But is there a plot against me personally?

Also the anti-homosexuality advocacy law suppress any LGBT rights advocacy.
Can you name the law identifier, please? It's the first time I hear about something like this.

This is the problem, the rampant violence and homophobia towards the gay community.

Yeah, like when I'm asking what are they doing in this particular thread anyway because I am homophobic probably, not because this is a communism thread...

*sigh*

I wish something would boil away oppression. I wouldn't mind if modern day communism did boil it away, but I bet it won't.

I'd like to define what that oppression thing is exactly to start with.

For as long as freedoms are abused, there must be regulations limiting freedoms of some to protect rights of the others.

Then the former ones call it oppression while the latter ones call it order.

The problem thus is to boil away the oppression but keep the order, which seems insolvable as long as the order is the flip side of the oppression. Some balance would do, I believe, but both parties can't have enough making finding the balance next to impossible.

However, oppression is a restriction imposed from the outside. Self-restriction, coming from the inside of each individual's personality, tends to help establishing the order without imposing oppression. This is not the way out itself, but probably the direction to where it can be found...

What's their problem?

In other words: In Russia, gays cannot be gay without being discriminated against, but neither can anyone else!

No, they aren't. They are treated like everyone else, but they want to be treated in a special manner, so they don't get what they want and thus get upset.
Nobody is demanding that. What is being is that demanding is that gay people are treated equal and stop being treated like second class citizens.

Otherwise it is not the matter of biased law but the matter of their personal wishes matching or mismatching what they legally can.
No they can't. Gay people are only attracted to the people of the same gender and since the Russian government has De facto banned same-sex marriage. This creates an unequal situation where heterosexual can marry whom them want, but gay people can not.
I'm pretty sure sexual orientation is not mentioned in the firing paper. Besides, there are jobs requiring some dress code, like bank clerks, police officers, military servicemen, restaurant waiters and others. Refusal to comply may cause firing there, of course.

For instance, I find casual clothes like T-shirts and jeans quite comfortable and I hate to wear a suite and a tie. Thank God I only have to do so 1 week a year. If I refused, my boss would probably remember I used my time in the office chatting with you here, or thought less supportive about my actions in some circumstantial business issues... in other words, he would possibly start looking for a reason to replace me with someone who is more appeasable.

Also, I fear I would have to quit my job if I had to do it more often. Moving to a home-based job would be the first option to explore on my list. Is it some sort of discrimination I'm suffering from, too?

Well of course, the official reason for firing isn't going list homosexuality as a reason. But what happens is that the gay person can be outed at their workplace and this can led to being fired. Since their boss can simply make up a excuses to fire the person in order to cover up their bigotry. Here is a links that shows how gay people can be fired for their sexuality. http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/499175/20130815/anton-krasovsky-gay.htm

Also comparing homosexuality to a dress code is very wrong. You can't change your sexual orientation like you can change your clothes.

They can't legally do so because they are prohibited by law (then I would like to know the law identifier) or they practically fail to do so for whatever reason?
Gay couples are legally prohibited from adopting by Article 127.2 of the Family Code of Russia. The article prohibits any unmarried couples from adopting and since gay couples can not get married this effectively bans them from adopting.

We have another situations that shows the inequality between gay people heterosexuals.

I can also say here that a single straight male also has minuscule chances to get permission for adoption.

Because single straight males are being discriminated. It does not mean that its okay to discriminated against gay people. It just show the amount of inequality there is in Russia.

Far-right groups are bezerk everywhere in the world, and they intimidate not only gays but pretty much anyone who they don't like based on not much in particular, like shape of one's nose, or skin color, or some accent people talk with.
Yes, But what I am trying to say is that the situation in Russia has become so poor for gay people that they are being specifically target by far-right groups. This is allowed to occur because the actions of the Russian government and other organizations has marginalize and stigmatize the gay community.

This problem exists, but it's not specific to gays, Russia, or gays in Russia.

Same goes to the lack of police activity. Specifically, as a law abiding driver, I can't wait for the police to start doing something about those who drive as if there was no driving code in Russia. Because it often gets dangerous. I am also endangered myself sometimes. But is there a plot against me personally?
I do not deny that it is a problem for everybody. What I saying is that the problem is more intensified for gay people, since they suffer from being marginalized and stigmatized.

This marginalization underlays the difference between a heterosexual and gay people is that heterosexual do not have to deal being marginalize because of their sexuality. That is why I said that gay people are being treating like second class citizens. Not only they are being denied many legal services ( such as able to marry and adopt) but also they have to deal with social prejudices. Which leads to further marginalization.

Can you name the law identifier, please? It's the first time I hear about something like this.
I am referring to the Russian LGBT propaganda law. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_LGBT_propaganda_law Which has been used to suppress to gay rights advocates.

Yeah, like when I'm asking what are they doing in this particular thread anyway because I am homophobic probably, not because this is a communism thread...
You are the one who brought it up by arguing that Russian LGBT had the same freedoms and rights as their heterosexual counterparts. I am just showing that this claim is false.

Why is it a cat?

I thought Chinese Communists hate "running dogs".

You guys just don't understand. You're absolutely free to have any religion you want, you just have to want Christianity first. You're absolutely free to have whatever political ideology you want, you just have to want the official one first. You are free to do or think literally anything you want, you just need to make sure that it lines up with the prevailing opinions first.

The insanity of a statement like this is almost too much to wrap my head around.

You should know that this line of argument is about as convincing a donkey farting.

Why is it a cat?

I thought Chinese Communists hate "running dogs".

Looking at it closer it appears to be a tiger. Now it's even more puzzling to me.

You should know that this line of argument is about as convincing a donkey farting.

Less actually. There might be an earthy wisdom in a donkey fart.

Another page goes by and still nobody explains why gay rights in Russia is the big big deal. Okay, Russia is behind the times...by a few years. It's not like they are the last country running an epically oppressive absolute monarchy (which most nations turned violently away from decades ago at least if not centuries ago), or maintaining slavery long beyond its time...they are doing something the rest of us have just barely caught on to, if we have caught on at all. So cut a little slack, eh?

Top Bottom