Modern day conservatism boils down to the denial of oppression

Hygro

soundcloud.com/hygro/
It's really gotten that simple.

What if it really can't affect you? I mean, what if you see an earthquake happening in Japan, but you're living in an area which has never been affected by earthquakes for the last centuries? You can't say "Well, this earthquake clearly shows that the same would happen here, any time soon".

What if it really can't affect you? I mean, what if you see an earthquake happening in Japan, but you're living in an area which has never been affected by earthquakes for the last centuries? You can't say "Well, this earthquake clearly shows that the same would happen here, any time soon".

Well, odds are your government has placed barriers preventing people from moving to the earthquake-free zone you live in. Your freedom from earthquakes is an accident of your birth.

I remember the contempt, post-Katrina. Shades of 'serves 'em right for not moving'.

The privilege kicks in as a bad thing is if you are the least bit tempted to care less because of the benefits you get, for free.

It's why all the hipster conservatives aren't doin' it rite. It was cool to be a hipster conservative in 1970, and continued to be until they all took power and showed us maybe kleptocracy wasn't actually an expression of Utopia. The modern day hipster conservative falsely equates unequal things to prove contradiction.

This untruth, of a lack of a oppression, was more compelling when we still had real economic freedom post WW2. Now we know better.

What about acceptance of oppression? Maybe that's what they're about.

You know I can't let that stand without your elaboration/opinion fleshing it out...
It's way too vague.

Although I bet he felt satisfied the moment he clicked submit.

It's not really that simple of course but almost. The conservative mind is very simple & their fairytale notion that life is fair (you work hard you get rewarded, anyone who claims otherwise is lazy or lying) is a large part of their worldview. But by being so vague you're being as lazy & ignorant as them.

Conservatism is such a broad label. Can you narrow that down for me?

Yet so many conservatives are poor and in a sense oppressed by those with money. How do you explain that?
They look at the anecdotes they are fed on and aspire to succeed. It doesn't seem to get through to them that they mostly fail to succeed and social mobility is going downhill.

They look at the anecdotes they are fed on and aspire to succeed. It doesn't seem to get through to them that they mostly fail to succeed and social mobility is going downhill.
Even if they did, I am weary of this whole paradigm. To me all mainstream politics is conservative.

Yet so many conservatives are poor and in a sense oppressed by those with money. How do you explain that?

Denial of oppression is not the exclusive territory of those who benefit from it. The oppressed have as much or even more reason to deny that it is happening. For the oppressor to admit it exists is to admit to their own lack of conscience. For the oppressed to admit it is happening brings them face to face with their own powerlessness. I assert that people will much more readily accept that they lack conscience than that they lack power.

By the successful hijacking of conservatism with social wedge issues that resonate with certain demographics.

Top Bottom