More Than 50% of Texas students have been suspended

downtown

Crafternoon Delight
Shocking, I know. Are half the kids in Texas really that bad, or is the long arm of the law stretching out a little bit too far?

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2...g1Yy+3gNymzn/qumjp1jKkzEHUyYQ7&cmp=clp-edweek

Ed Weekly said:
Using discipline records of nearly 1 million Texas middle and high school students that cover much of the last decade, researchers found that more than half of them were suspended or expelled at least once between 7th and 12th grades, that the punishments were applied unevenly among students of different races, abilities, and schools, and that students disciplined with these methods were more likely to repeat a grade or drop out of school than students who were not punished in the same way.

The study, unveiled Tuesday by the Council of State Governments Justice Center in Bethesda, Md., and the Public Policy Research Institute at Texas A&M University, involved the discipline and criminal records of all Texas students who were 7th graders in 2000, 2001, and 2002, and tracked all of them through one year past the date when they would have graduated with their original class.

In the study, “Breaking Schools’ Rules: A Statewide Study of How School Discipline Relates to Students’ Success and Juvenile Justice Involvement,” researchers found that of the half a million times students were suspended or expelled, only 3 percent of those suspensions or expulsions were for behavior Texas law requires be punished that way. The rest were at the discretion of school officials.

Are We Too Strict?

A newly released report casts doubt on whether increased suspensions and expulsions are getting the right results in Texas public schools.

Although the study involved just one state, the authors argue that it has implications for the rest of the country because Texas has the second-largest public school system in the country and one where almost two-thirds of students are nonwhite.

The goal of the study was to prompt policymakers everywhere to look closely at school discipline.

“We hope other states will follow Texas’ lead and put their systems under similar scrutiny,” said Michael D. Thompson, director of the nonpartisan, nonprofit Justice Center. He raised a key question he said state education leaders should ask themselves: “Is our state’s school discipline system getting the desired results?”

The study found that the average number of days on which students missed at least some class time due to a disciplinary incident was two days for out-of-school suspension, 27 days for a placement at an alternative school, and 73 days if they were placed in a juvenile justice program.

While the numbers gleaned from analyzing student discipline in Texas may be shocking, the state’s rate of expulsions and out-of-school suspensions, at 6.9 percent, is lower than that of some other states, including California, at about 13 percent, and Florida, at about 9 percent.

Repeat Offenders

One statistic uncovered by the analysis of Texas discipline and juvenile justice records was that 15 percent of students were punished by suspension or expulsion 11 or more times. Those repeat actions make the effectiveness of those types of punishments questionable, Mr. Thompson said.

“Seeing how common it is for students to be suspended or expelled ... we probably can do better,” Mr. Thompson said. Also, the study raises concerns about how nearly half the students disciplined 11 or more times also were in contact with the Texas juvenile justice system, raising the specter of the so-called “school-to-prison” pipeline.

In addition, at schools within Texas with similar demographics, the use of the punishments varied widely, “indicating, I think, that it’s possible by relying less on suspensions and expulsions to reduce juvenile justice involvement and improve academic performance,” he said.

The Texas Education Agency, which helped the researchers match students’ school discipline and juvenile justice records, said the report highlighted some important weaknesses in Texas schools.

“It can be painful to look at numbers that aren’t flattering,” said Suzanne Marchman, a spokeswoman for the agency. But whether the report triggers individual schools to look at their discipline systems or drive policy at the legislative level is an open question. “No one wants a drop out,” Ms. Marchman said. “It brings up that dialogue: How can we address this issue at hand?”

In particular, if students’ punishment entails being sent to an alternative setting or juvenile justice setting, school districts need to be sure the teaching at those schools is high quality, she said.

“School districts need to take a closer look at the level of instruction that’s taking place at these alternative settings when [students are] punished so when [students] are released back to districts they’re not behind academically and they’re not frustrated,” she said, triggering a cycle of misbehavior that sends a student back to one of those alternate settings

However, the agency also wanted to offer one cautionary note about interpreting the study.

“It gives the impression that 60 percent of the students in Texas are criminals or badly behaved,” Ms. Marchman said. But because of discrepancies in how punishment is administered between schools and districts, some students might be suspended for an infraction such as wearing flip flops or tank tops on the first offense while another school might give students several chances first.

In recent years, Texas has taken steps to address the way students are disciplined, and the report’s authors said lawmakers and Gov. Rick Perry were supportive of their work.

The Texas Legislative Budget Board recently examined six school districts’ disciplinary practices, and the Texas legislature has changed some state laws pertaining to punishing students. For example, “persistent misbehavior” is no longer a reason for expulsion; school districts are now required to consider mitigating factors such as self-defense and a student’s disability before making a disciplinary decision; and the state education department had to create minimum standards for the disciplinary alternative education programs students are required to attend.

At the same time, other behavior violations have been added to the list of things for which school districts must or can punish students, including sexting and bullying.

Also recently, the state has begun offering training to districts interested in learning about positive discipline methods, and a pilot program this year is using statewide data to document student achievement and measure the effectiveness of specific professional development programs and activities.
Discipline Disparities

Some groups of students were more vulnerable to suspension or expulsion than others, the study found.

For example, 75 percent of African-American students were expelled or suspended, compared to 50 percent of white students.

Also, 75 percent of students with disabilities were suspended or expelled, compared with 55 percent of students without a disability. Students classified as having an emotional disturbance were more likely to be suspended or expelled, while students with autism or mental ******ation were less likely than students without disabilities to be punished the same way.

The report didn’t make specific policy recommendations, but noted the gradual toughening of school discipline policies nationwide, triggered in part by a spate of school shootings in the 1990s. The 1994 Gun-Free Schools Act requires schools that accept federal money to expel students for one year if they bring a weapon to school.

A few years later, many school districts started adopting zero-tolerance discipline policies toward drugs, alcohol, and violent behavior. Some 79 percent of schools had these policies in place by 1997. While expulsion for some students means attending an alternative school, as it does in Texas, in some states, students are simply out of school altogether as they serve their punishment term.

An American Psychological Association study in 2006 found that zero-tolerance policies may negatively affect academic outcomes and increase the chances of a student dropping out.

While Mr. Thompson said the Texas study isn’t strictly focused on the zero-tolerance discipline, that practice is part of a larger discussion about student discipline policy.

“We look forward to launching a national project to identify policy strategies ... to get better outcomes for these kids,” he said.

Ok, so a couple of questions here...

*Texas Law requires that certain acts, like bringing a gun to school, or certain kinds of assault, result in a suspension. For most incidents though, the punishment is left up to the school. Should the state have more of a say, to standardize discipline? (i.e you can't suspend a kid for wearing flip flops)

*Black and Latino students are disproportionally punished via suspensions and expulsions. Is there a way to fix that?

*15% of students were suspended or expelled multiple times. What else can schools (or hell, law enforcement) do to reach out and help this kids, since clearly suspensions/expulsions aren't working?

*Do we care if the quality of education in alternative schools/Juvy is any good?

OTHER THOUGHTS??

Institutional racism...? What institutional racism?

Just as the United States tends to have a higher number of criminals per capita than the rest of the world, Texas has a higher percentage of young troublemakers. You would think that the combined Governorships of George W. Bush and Rick Perry would have solved this issue, but you have no idea of how much the libruls influence things in Texas.

*Texas Law requires that certain acts, like bringing a gun to school, or certain kinds of assault, result in a suspension. For most incidents though, the punishment is left up to the school. Should the state have more of a say, to standardize discipline? (i.e you can't suspend a kid for wearing flip flops)

There should be a standard procedure for suspension everywhere.

Black and Latino students are disproportionally punished via suspensions and expulsions. Is there a way to fix that?

I don't think disproportional amounts of black/latino individuals getting arrested or doing poorly in school is a result of institutional racism. I think it's due to the fact more of them come from lower-income backgrounds, which run an increased risk of crime(and therefore arrest) and poor performance from all I know.

15% of students were suspended or expelled multiple times. What else can schools (or hell, law enforcement) do to reach out and help this kids, since clearly suspensions/expulsions aren't working?

If their parents don't give a hoot, chances are we can never get the child to. What's worse, however, is throwing them out will just leave them on the streets where they will be more likely to engage in criminal behavior.

Really, we have to choose between students who can't be helped or criminals who can't be helped.

Do we care if the quality of education in alternative schools/Juvy is any good?

I think we all care if education quality is constant across schools.

As for juvy, I don't know. Never thought about it.

I guess if you take away a schools ability to discipline the kids, this is the result. The problem with this being the final choice in how to handle things is kids arent stupid, and they fully realize that they can get a few days (or more) off from school if they misbehave in class. In other words, they get a reward, not a punishment.

But what else to do? You dont want corporal punishment, and nothing else carrys any real weight because of faux parental outrage.

As to the question 'are we too strict' I would have to say no. In fact, I would be recommending more discipline in schools as opposed to less. But how to implement said discipline? Perhaps instead of suspending kids from school, perhaps a hefty fine applied to the parents for what the kid did? Or both even?

Texas still allows corporal punishment in schools.

Just because its allowed doesnt mean its practiced. I didnt see any mention of alternative discipline practices in the article.

Making the child do volunteer work might be an interesting proposition.

I meant as a punitive measure. But wow, that seems like a lot of mandated hours. I only had to do 40 for my high school.

*15% of students were suspended or expelled multiple times. What else can schools (or hell, law enforcement) do to reach out and help this kids, since clearly suspensions/expulsions aren't working?

Put them in different classes, not none. Simply getting them away from their regular crowd of friends might help for many. But much better, would be temporarily putting them in a context where the student:teacher ratio is much lower. This of course means more money - in the short run.

You've got to be creative. Make the disciplinary class into a clique of sorts, and make it possible for those kids to have some identity other than "I'm a hostage to the system while in school."

There should be a standard procedure for suspension everywhere.
You think that only a state office should be able to decide what a student can and can't be suspended for? I'm not arguing with you here, only getting clarification. I'm a little uncomfortable with that idea.

I don't think disproportional amounts of black/latino individuals getting arrested or doing poorly in school is a result of institutional racism. I think it's due to the fact more of them come from lower-income backgrounds, which run an increased risk of crime(and therefore arrest) and poor performance from all I know.
That's prob part of it, but 75% of all black students in the state? We don't really know what everybody was suspended for (some things as serious as assault, others for ticky tack things like dress code violations), but a disparity that high makes me think somebody is a little itchy on the trigger finger.

I guess if you take away a schools ability to discipline the kids, this is the result.
Texas practices corporal punishment, and to be totally honest, I'm not sure what else you can do. You can dock a kid's grades, take away his extracurricular, throw him out of class, and maybe even hit him, but after you do any of those things long enough, students are going to shut down, and then there is nothing you can do. You see that as early as elementary school. There is a threshold for the amount of negative punishment a child can take before it loses it's meaning.

As to the question 'are we too strict' I would have to say no. In fact, I would be recommending more discipline in schools as opposed to less. But how to implement said discipline? Perhaps instead of suspending kids from school, perhaps a hefty fine applied to the parents for what the kid did? Or both even?
The school where I work, and the school were my girlfriend works charge parents if the students require Saturday schools or enough detentions (since they have to pay teachers extra for that time), but it isn't that much money...our student's families are poor. I don't see how a district school could legally do it...and what happens if they can't pay the fine? The student withdraws, and then he's as good as expelled.
Making the child do volunteer work might be an interesting proposition.
That is possible, although I would hate for kids to grow up thinking volunteering was a punishment.

You think that only a state office should be able to decide what a student can and can't be suspended for? I'm not arguing with you here, only getting clarification. I'm a little uncomfortable with that idea.

Well, merely that I believe some standards tend to be a good thing. Failing that, local standards should be evaluated.

Suspension and expulsion should primarily be based on reasonable means; activities that threaten the students, I can easily see expulsion for.

That's prob part of it, but 75% of all black students in the state? We don't really know what everybody was suspended for (some things as serious as assault, others for ticky tack things like dress code violations), but a disparity that high makes me think somebody is a little itchy on the trigger finger.

Well, racism could easily play some role, though I merely believe it's not the dominant one.

It probably doesn't help that many lower income kids dress improperly (pants so low you can see the boxers, for example), so getting dress code violations comes naturally.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if racism in fact had a role; the South hasn't exactly had the most racially tolerant history and I've heard stories in some parts it still enjoys a presence.

Oh those silly Texans suspending all their students. Why again do they get to choose the text books for the rest of the country?

Shocking, I know. Are half the kids in Texas really that bad

The answer to this is yes. That's a lot of the answer right there, Texas is definitely worse than some other states with student behavior. There are of course different causes behind that, not just culture but the effects of poverty, immigration and multilingual education, etc... and Texas is a big state.

The other thing is that the numbers here aren't actually too surprising, at least not in being unique to Texas. Schools in a lot of places across the country routinely give minor suspensions these days for very simple offenses, like inappropriate clothing as mentioned or unexcused absences.

When you look at the number that really matters in the article, 7% of students were actually expelled or received out-of-school suspensions. That means the other 43% are in school, detention-type suspensions, not really that unexpected. That and the drop out rate (and drop outs almost certainly are going to have minor suspensions or something at some point anyway) are much more important statistics to look at.

One could argue that many, many states use those sorts of punishments too often but that's a cultural thing, schools are more strict with the worries about lawsuits and investigations and being seen as biased and lots of other things and often institute the sort of "three strikes" equivalent that result in students getting into suspension trouble.

In the end if this article read "50% of students had received a detention at some point during school" nobody would care, it's the purposeful confusion that some people of older generations won't get that makes this seem like a controversy. Yes, schools probably hand out a lot more in school suspensions relative to traditional detentions these days but it's not the worst thing to worry about.

Schools in a lot of places across the country routinely give minor suspensions these days for very simple offenses, like inappropriate clothing as mentioned or unexcused absences

So the logic is that to punish not going to school... we should make them not go to school more? :rotfl:

No wonder the American school system isn't exactly favored.

Sure, some kids don't care so it'd be justified, but where's the cut off for "cares" and "doesn't care"?

Yeah, students skip a class and they lock em down with in school suspension, that's very common elsewhere so I assume it's common in Texas. That's really the point that has to be stressed here, ignore the sensationalism in the article when the real number is 7% expulsions and out of school suspensions. Assuming that statistic is true then the rest are really about equivalent to giving a kid detention, which is debatable whether schools go too far these days but no surprise, except it would not cause the journalist's expected ignorant readership to get all huffy.

And I realized reading my previous post that "zero tolerance" is probably a better way to word things than "three strikes" but anyway it's the equivalent where schools have gotten stricter on alcohol, drugs, whatever compared to a long time ago, and that probably has some real effects on more serious cases of discipline.

Top Bottom