New Beta Version - August 16th (8-16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is something going on with Spy XP in city-states? I've been rigging elections for ages, but the only spies that ever gained any levels were the ones who started their lives as diplomats in other civs' capitals:

Spoiler :

-Entirely off-topic but interested in some responses from here. I don't think a full thread is fitting atm-

Humankind, anyone? Amplitude, the company behind Endless Legend, Space, etc., has gone as far as stating that upcoming title to be their magnum opus straight on the steam page. A quote from some article I read:
“Amplitude Studios was founded with the intention of creating this game, all the games we’ve created up until now have been leading up to this moment,” said Romain de Waubert, CCO at Amplitude. “We are so excited to finally be able to share with the community what has been at the heart of Amplitude since day one.”

The Endless batch of games never quite captured my interest in their world building so I'm not sure how their game design holds up. Apparently modding is quite open with DLL access in their games though to what extent I don't entirely know (Gedemon has expressed some interest in the Civ6 thread https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...nder-a-new-banner.648888/page-4#post-15525048).
My interest in Civ has been kinda dying for a while, what with VP being the ultimate form of it that I can see right now(yes VP is still developing but I've always had trouble when reaching the end of a series), so this is hopefully a new venue.

Last edited:
-Entirely off-topic but interested in some responses from here. I don't think a full thread is fitting atm-

Humankind, anyone? Amplitude, the company behind Endless Legend, Space, etc., has gone as far as stating that upcoming title to be their magnum opus straight on the steam page. A quote from some article I read:
“Amplitude Studios was founded with the intention of creating this game, all the games we’ve created up until now have been leading up to this moment,” said Romain de Waubert, CCO at Amplitude. “We are so excited to finally be able to share with the community what has been at the heart of Amplitude since day one.”

The Endless batch of games never quite captured my interest in their world building so I'm not sure how their game design holds up. Apparently modding is quite open with DLL access in their games though to what extent I don't entirely know (Gedemon has expressed some interest in the Civ6 thread https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...nder-a-new-banner.648888/page-4#post-15525048).
My interest in Civ has been kinda dying for a while, what with VP being the ultimate form of it that I can see right now(yes VP is still developing but I've always had trouble when reaching the end of a series), so this is hopefully a new venue.

I’ve played all the endless games. The best review I ever saw on them was: “I’m having an absolute blast playing this game, even though I can’t shake the feeling that this game just doesn’t, quite, work.”

Amplititude has been great at pushing new territory in their world building, race design, story, and various new 4x mechanics. I think they have an issue with balance and polish, their new ideas are often very complex (I think too much), and their late games tend to suffer more so than other 4x games (though it remains the universal problem of 4x).

My issues aside, Ultimately any 4x “hardcore” player should take a look at this new game, as they make some of the best new games in the genre.

I don't think this patch has really done anything to move the needle on my policy selection.

Tradition is still my least-picked tree, as it has been even since Vanilla where it was supposedly top pick for everyone else. I only go for it if I'm a civ with a hard Great Person focus (Arabia, Korea), if my terrain looks too weak to support Progress cities and there's nobody nearby to feed Authority, or if I'm relatively isolated but with minimal land like a crappy little island or something. All it can do better now is grab land with the two settlers from +2 pop; it immediately loses its +1 culture for doing so, proceeds to fall behind both of the other policies in culture generation when it's on top otherwise, and those cities do nothing to make up for their existence for quite a long time. It's still strong, but it has more of a ramp-up time than ever before, and to me that means it usually needs a good reason for me to even look at it.

I don't really know, but I get the impression Tradition is probably still the way to go if you want to grab an early wonder - particularly Stonehenge. I'm not going to say that going for early wonders is a good strategy per se, but it seems significant to me that it's a thing Tradition seems geared towards. Certainty Tradition AIs seem to like going for wonders.

I'm optimistic, but their AI is perennially awful.

G

Fwiw, my experience with amplitude games is that they are beautiful, ambitious, well designed and give you an overwhelming feeling of being empty and awfully paced. Gorgeous music, design, art direction, and all I can think about is how bloody long it takes to slog through their overly-tedious combat system.

Is something going on with Spy XP in city-states? I've been rigging elections for ages, but the only spies that ever gained any levels were the ones who started their lives as diplomats in other civs' capitals:
I've never had a spy level up from rigging/coup in city-states, so I kinda assume it doesn't give them any XP.

I've never had a spy level up from rigging/coup in city-states, so I kinda assume it doesn't give them any XP.
Well, crap. I could've sworn it used to.

Puts a big dent in my Diplo plans, since I can't coup anything away with lv 1 spies. Luckily, science victory looks easy from where I'm at.

Playing on Emperor, turn 203, I'm finding it extremely difficult to battle unhappiness.
I did everything I could imagine like moving great works to cities suffering from boredom, sending trades routes,
and after all this still suffering from a great deal of unhappiness forcing me to cap city pop at 5 in most of my 6 cities.
It's frustrating and made me sad to find AI having no problem with it, pop reaching over 10 at all cities :crazyeye:

Playing on Emperor, turn 203, I'm finding it extremely difficult to battle unhappiness.
I did everything I could imagine like moving great works to cities suffering from boredom, sending trades routes,
and after all this still suffering from a great deal of unhappiness forcing me to cap city pop at 5 in most of my 6 cities.
It's frustrating and made me sad to find AI having no problem with it, pop reaching over 10 at all cities :crazyeye:

The only solution I've found to happiness so far in this version is to harshly limit growth by manually micromanaging citizens to focus Production, at least in the early game.

upload_2019-8-20_15-20-18.png

Progress with AI naval building.

Ran into a bug (will also post to github, but wanted to see if others found it too):

I missed a religion (it's very difficult with authority I've noticed) and captured my two neighbors that each had one, respectively. London (Confucianism) and then Constantinople (Eastern Orthodoxy). After taking Constantinople, and coincidentally enhancing Confucianism around the same time (which was supposed to be my primary), seemingly randomly this will happen:

Spoiler :
20190821002029_1.jpg
20190821002032_1.jpg

The consequence of this is my faith is reset every couple of turns and the faith is converted (supposedly) into GAP. I didn't really do any work with spreading to my core cities (my defunct pantheon was great and I wanted to at least get a decent enhancer before they were all gone
Spoiler :
which I got bottom of the barrel as well

So my theory is maybe my empire is equally split between these two religions so when a new citizen is converted it flipflops? I'm otherwise not sure, never seen this happen before. I really needed those GAP though, as you can see by my deficit.

horsehocky, mounted units... are they even worth building? Rivers, hills, forest, desert swamps and jungle etc. everywhere - on most maps. I just dont see the use of them any more but in very rare circumstances. They are no better than mere footsoliders as far as I can see. They are (horsmen) like spearmen except that they're penalized in battle against them!

Better go for bronze working since horsemen, has a penalty against attacking cities.

If this change is to remain make mounted units as sturdy as meele (I don't want that, nor this change, but that would be the only reasonable thing to do. Since skirmishers as of now is a totally useless suicide unit has the ability to "first hit" and then "to die the turn after").

Can anyone please share the positives about this change and save me from being stuck in my bad & gloomy experience?

EDIT: Alexander just walked in on me and took a city... My skirmisher could only but "stand by" and watch the tragedy (due to rough terrain). I would have had a a tough time in the last patch, but I would have had a decent chance to defend myself. Now his arches could just stand on a hill in rough terrain and there wasn't anything in this world I could do about them - nor his Phalanxes that also had to remain "untouched" due to rough terrain. My units could only stand and watch - yeah that's what they were good for - mere "scouting"; being on the "look out".

*rage quit* :)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience. People aren't really talking about this change here because there's a thread about it in General Balance.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience. P people aren't really talking about this change here because there's a while there's about it in General Balance.

Having now finished a game along with seeing the discussion in that thread, I'll go ahead and weigh in with my thoughts on that change, which haven't really changed much:

I hate it.

While trying not to be too acerbic with my thoughts, it seems like a pointless change that makes an entire line of units nigh on to completely useless. In nearly 500 turns, I don't think there was one single time that the Skirmisher line was even relevant, nevermind important, and this game included Mongolia. The only time I got any use out of them at all was during the last 50 or so turns when I built a spaghetti network of railroads for my Light Tanks that covered every single tile between one of my cities and the borders of Brazil's capital.

I maintain that this change is fixing a problem that didn't exist in the first place. Actual Skirmishers were the only unit of the line that were actually dominant; everywhere else they were still strong but not overpoweringly so. A few people have been able to use them to very good effect, and otherwise they appear to have average use both by the AI and the majority of players. I just don't see an issue.

Having now finished a game along with seeing the discussion in that thread, I'll go ahead and weigh in with my thoughts on that change, which haven't really changed much:

I hate it.

While trying not to be too acerbic with my thoughts, it seems like a pointless change that makes an entire line of units nigh on to completely useless. In nearly 500 turns, I don't think there was one single time that the Skirmisher line was even relevant, nevermind important, and this game included Mongolia. The only time I got any use out of them at all was during the last 50 or so turns when I built a spaghetti network of railroads for my Light Tanks that covered every single tile between one of my cities and the borders of Brazil's capital.

I maintain that this change is fixing a problem that didn't exist in the first place. Actual Skirmishers were the only unit of the line that were actually dominant; everywhere else they were still strong but not overpoweringly so. A few people have been able to use them to very good effect, and otherwise they appear to have average use both by the AI and the majority of players. I just don't see an issue.
Sorry to butt in, but the original suggestion was not to nerf them or change them in any way, only change the tech that unlocks them, since skirmishers and horseman lie in the middle of the tech tree, they allowed those who focused only on the top side to have a equal or sometimes better army than those who focused on the bottom side of the tech tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom