New Beta Version - August 16th (8/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played a couple of games as peaceful wide/Heavy warmonger after reducing empire size modifier to 6% instead of 9% and i find the game to be significantly more enjoyable; i still get happiness problems if i ignore infrastructure or go on long unplanned conquests but it's nowhere near the tormenting experience of having up to date infrastructure qnd ahead of overall yields but the needs per citizen are not obtainable at all even with public works.

@ilteroi
Any idea why the AI is reluctant to upgrade their ships? Askia in my game had the Tech for Missile Cruisers a 4000 :c5gold: treasury with a +1000 income and yet he still had a bunch of Ironclads and Destroyers. He had a few Missile Cruisers but I assume they were recently built.

Also, while the aggressiveness of the AI has been improved, I feel that the on the defensive, some work needs to be done. At the very least, the AI should realise that it has an Authority neighbor and play accordingly, tech and build wise. A human that picked Authority is most likely to go to wars and go for conquests and the AIs with Authority have been consistently good in making conquests in the latest patches. Of course befriending the "threatening" neighbor can also be an option but at this point, it seems that aggressive and warmongering AIs (and humans) can get away with more than they should be able to.
I understand there is a fragile balance of power between aggression and defensiveness, we don't want to make conquests too tedious or hard or impossible. This is why I did not suggest something obvious, like buffing walls or nerfing Authority. I think that first we need to get both defensive and offensive AIs at their peak performance and then give a final tweak to the defensive options such as buildings so as to strike a good and stable balance.

While the Air Unit part of the AI is way more competent, it still does not seem to utilise Air Sweep. Right? Or at least I haven't noticed. They will often run their bombers with my interceptors or anti-air still active and get shot down. I have my Bombers shot down occasionally but not nearly as much as the AI. I think if the AI will start using Air Sweep properly it will become truly a force to be reckoned with, as of now, the human needs to build Fighters, which you didn't need before, but once that is done, he can still absolutely dominate the airspace.

@pineappledan
You made the changes to the Global Wargames resolution, right? I've built that a few games now. Big fan of the :c5goldenage: points, both on Forts and on Unit death. They can be a hard to come by yield for some builds. Autocracy can get some late game Golden Ages with the :c5goldenage: on border expand and the Fort yields. Stacking yields of Forts with Imperialism seems fun but even with all the science and culture, the city manager was still reluctant to work the Forts. Citadels become beasts though. What I think is underwhelming is the :c5culture: on unit death. It comes up to... 15 when you lose a unit in Modern era I think, on Epic too. Unlike the GAP this is just disappointing I think. Maybe the culture on unit death should get a little bump? So as to feel more impactful, like the yields from Crystal Palace, or the naval bonuses of the Grand Canal.
Also, the combat bonus from the silver medal, it does not seem to scale with game speed? Is there a reason for this? Martial Spirit which is a very similar effect does scale with game speed.

A couple small things; Barbarian Camp :c5gold: reward should scale with era. It feels pretty stupid to clear a Machine Gun camp and get only 25 gold.
The next turn bug is really annoying. Happens mostly on the late game and 95% of the time it's units inside cities, I scroll through my ships and land units and easily find the culprits so it's manageable but obnoxious.
Spoiler example :
20200922215638_1.jpg

There's also a bug with the discuss screen, I seen it being discussed on Github. There have been a lot of bugfixes, I think it's about time for a new version : )
even an official version too, since the current official version is busted
@Deljade what map type were you playing on? How many civs/city-states? :)
16 players, 30 or 32 CS Tectonics with tweaked settings(more plates, blocky continents, high sea level, fast plate motion, less land iirc), the map did not at all look like what I was hoping would generate though (pangaea-like brawl) after testing them in world builder, I recommend testing on world builder to find setups that you like. Played it anyway after I discovered I'm on a continent with Sejong and Neb because it had been a while since I had done a continent conquest into a strong late game. I posted a few more screenshots in the "how is your game going" thread if you want to see whether the map generation is to your liking

Played a couple of games as peaceful wide/Heavy warmonger after reducing empire size modifier to 6% instead of 9% and i find the game to be significantly more enjoyable; i still get happiness problems if i ignore infrastructure or go on long unplanned conquests but it's nowhere near the tormenting experience of having up to date infrastructure qnd ahead of overall yields but the needs per citizen are not obtainable at all even with public works.

First time fiddling with Civ5 files: To achieve that, should I change

Code:
SELECT 'BALANCE_HAPPINESS_EMPIRE_MULTIPLIER', '9'

To

Code:
SELECT 'BALANCE_HAPPINESS_EMPIRE_MULTIPLIER', '6'

in "(2) Community Balance Overhaul\Modular Elements\Happiness Mod\CityHappiness.sql" ?

I don’t think anyone wants yields on death to be good enough that you wouldn’t rather get obsolete units killed than to sell them or upgrade them. The Menin Gate is a cenotaph, so some event on unit death is there for flavor, no other reason.

Your assessment that the crystal palace is a strong, consequential wonder is... wrong, at least by my estimation. It gives 4 yields to all cities with a factory. That’s it. If you feel the Menin gate needs to be as good as the crystal palace then mission accomplished. If forts aren’t strong enough after 7 extra yields from Menin Gate and imperialism — I agree they are not — then we need to raise a stink about re-adding the 3:c5science: from autocracy, and taking another pass at forts’ tech progression. The problem is that base forts got nerfed for no good reason, not that Menin doesn’t boost them enough

The crystal palace, Olympic village, and ISS are all relatively weak wonders on their own. The power of their silver reward is the main benefit. The Grand Canal’s power is the exception, not the rule, and I don’t think it’s fair to only look at it as a point of comparison for Menin gate.

The crystal palace, Olympic village, and ISS are all relatively weak wonders on their own. The power of their silver reward is the main benefit. The Grand Canal’s power is the exception, not the rule, and I don’t think it’s fair to only look at it as a point of comparison for Menin gate.

Well said

World's Fair too. I happily pass it almost every game but never actually get the gold prize.

Edit: crystal palace is the world fair prize. I realize I haven't gotten the gold prize in so long that I forgot the name.

Last edited:
Alright, I can see the flavour, I also understand that if you want the main point to be the buffed Forts, so it would make sense to go for as an Imperialism (for the extra Fort yields) civ, Belgium, Great Britain, France, can see the theme.
I did not know the Crystal Palace itself is considered weak, I always see a decent bump in my yields after completing it, the GA helps too. I also don't think the ISS itself is weak either, if timed properly. Though I rarely go for the Olympic Village, I can't imagine it being bad for CV, tourism from culture on Capital is one of those things that you want every last bit when going for CV.

I would go so far as to say that:
Grand Canal and UN are the only WC projects worth competing for.

you need specific policy choices and civs to justify crystal palace and Menin gate
Egypt, Portugal, Canada can make use of Menin
4UC england is the only crystal palace contender, with her unique factory.
GGeneral spammers like Rome, Sweden and japan could also benefit a lot from Menin.​

there is no situation where Olympic village is ever worth competing for.
A small corner case for a CV-focused civ with faith of the masses reformation might be able to justify it... maybe.​

you need specific policy choices and civs to justify crystal palace and Menin gate
GGeneral spammers like Rome, Sweden and japan could also benefit a lot from Menin.​

A small corner case for a CV-focused civ with faith of the masses reformation might be able to justify it... maybe.​
Doesn't Olympic village convert tile yield culture to tourism? Could be useful for Polynesia, but I'm not sure.

I just realized that my ships with Boarding party III are not immune to boarded effects unlike ships with Boarding party II .... it's happening consistently but thy only gt boarded I status not boarded II .... I don't remember seeing this in the change log is this an unintended bug so i could report it on github?

First time fiddling with Civ5 files: To achieve that, should I change

Code:
SELECT 'BALANCE_HAPPINESS_EMPIRE_MULTIPLIER', '9'

To

Code:
SELECT 'BALANCE_HAPPINESS_EMPIRE_MULTIPLIER', '6'

in "(2) Community Balance Overhaul\Modular Elements\Happiness Mod\CityHappiness.sql" ?
Yup, exactly at line 44 in CityHappiness.sql

Strongly disagree. This is like saying that Notre Dame is a weak wonder and only looking at the direct yields that it gives. Notre Dame gives a golden age. Winning both the Crystal Palace and the UN gives a free golden age, which is pretty powerful.

@Deljade , I also saw obsolete AI navies in my huge map games in Modern+ era. When I took seat of the AI via IGE, I found out they lacked the strategic resources for the modern ships. I have not reported it yet because I added some new units and tweaked (- increased) the strategic resource requirements for modern units, so I thought I may have gone overboard with my tweaks (I had an abundance of resources myself though). Would you check if the AI has enough strategics next time this happens to you?

@Deljade , I also saw obsolete AI navies in my huge map games in Modern+ era. When I took seat of the AI via IGE, I found out they lacked the strategic resources for the modern ships. I have not reported it yet because I added some new units and tweaked (- increased) the strategic resource requirements for modern units, so I thought I may have gone overboard with my tweaks (I had an abundance of resources myself though). Would you check if the AI has enough strategics next time this happens to you?

This I would understand between the Frigates and Cruisers because of the added Iron. But in base VP the melee ships do not require any strategics right now, no? For my game it's basically the AI not wanting to spend gold (or just forgetting) on ship upgrades, and Askia had plenty gold.

This I would understand between the Frigates and Cruisers because of the added Iron. But in base VP the melee ships do not require any strategics right now, no? For my game it's basically the AI not wanting to spend gold (or just forgetting) on ship upgrades, and Askia had plenty gold.
Really? I thought all later ships required some strategics. Maybe I just tweaked it this way in my setup. If this is the case, then disregard my previous post.

I'm always a bit unclear on all the different version/betas. Do I need to do something to update to the latest or will steam do it automatically, and we just have to do an update with the big patches?

I'm always a bit unclear on all the different version/betas. Do I need to do something to update to the latest or will steam do it automatically, and we just have to do an update with the big patches?
VP isn't on steam, so steam won't update it. Go to the first page on this thread and there is an installer. Just run it and it will update VP.

Had a blast beating some dead horses in this game, got a domination victory at turn 260 Epic speed (equivalent to 170 standard) with Authority, Fealty and 2 policies in imperialism.
This is my first time intentionally abusing tribute policy and i think it might need to get toned down a wee bit; i'm not even playing Mongolia or Zulus and i can get around 3K culture per tribute which is kind of too much at this point in the game .... i don't know how much can i get in later eras but this is just too much.

Spoiler Culture, baby. :
CivilizationV_DX11 2020-09-25 16-34-01-640.jpg

I had a super dumb game as Authority Carthage on Emperor Epic speed standard size Archipelago no Ruins no Events.
Got an okay start for God of the sea with pearls but i had to settle very aggressively in the early game to get the monopoly (settled a total of 10 cities and could have easily settled more if i wanted; a lot of really good settling spots were open.
Bought 3 Quinqueremes and started some tributing chains feeding me a lot of culture pushing me further ahead in the early game.
Grabber Statue of Zeus early on and got back to the top of the tech tree to try my luck at great lighthouse but it was snatched by Tradition Pocatello my immediate neighbor so operation colonize America had to begin earlier than i would have wanted, switched all of my cities to Naval ranged ship production powered by Barracks and Orders to get bombardment II .... Taking his satellites were no big deal but his tradition capital on hill was really really tough as i had no land forces and my ships were taking critical damage from it's ranged attacks that i had to cycle them every single turn to reduce my losses to the minimum.
After a prolonged siege i got the capital with the prized Great lighthouse eliminating the immediate neighbor and an annoying one really early with his religion as well.
Focused on spreading my religion to get reformation ASAP, powered by COE i managed to rush a couple of wonders and some heavy tributes from merchantile CSs i got Terracotta army, Parthenon to complement my Faith of the masses to get some buffed amphitheatres, Oracle, the colossus and Haghia Sophia back to back.
Tradition Germany was just to the north of my starting location with the majority of their forces being land forces it was an easy task for my ships and they fell in no time before i even got a chance to force them into capitulation.
Brazil was next but i waited till i uograded my navy and it was an incredibly easy one sided fight ended in them losing all of their cities to my 40~ ships.
Denmark was next and they got the same treatment as Brazil in a couple of turns.
Portugal, Assyria and Indonesia were left but honestly i got bored ... It's turn 240~ Epic speed and i'm about to finish my 2nd policy tree and unlock renaissance ships as well while the 3 civs left are still in medieval with ancient ships and it's just a matter of moving my ships across the ocean to capture the last 3 capitals to win.
Took this screenshot before abandoning the match.
Spoiler I don't think there is any point in playing this match till the end. :

So none of you guys are experience the missing religious pressure bug that keeping me from playing?

\Skodkim

So none of you guys are experience the missing religious pressure bug that keeping me from playing?

\Skodkim

IDK to be honest. I checked the github issue about it, could be that I just didn't notice. I guess because I'm pretty aggressive with missionaries?

That would go some way to explaining why Byzantium's religious dominance was so strong in my last game - with low passive spread it's mainly just about faith generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom