New Beta Version - September 9th (9-9)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spear throw really is just an enabler for extra XP, the damage is trivial. That's why they're bonkers in Shaka's hands, because of his reduced thresholds for leveling. Without that... it's a nice perk but nothing too strong.

Honestly what has me more concerned is the rather high retreat chance. Knights can be incredibly tanky for their era as is, I'm really not going to appreciate half my attacks just not doing anything (or worse, helping them retreat out of range of my other units). Combined with something like the new overrun, Knights seem like they can just blast right up in the enemy's face, do a ton of splash damage, and probably get out alive. Certainly breaks stalls, but it seems too much.

Poor University of Sankore is going to need a buff too now that it's brothers are must-builds.

Impi spear throw is basically double damage, it's an extra attack before melee, same here with cav.
If you play on very high difficulty you will maybe not notice it as much but I've even seen diety play where Impi really shone despite them being a backward tech unit.

In my game, Statue of Zeus seemed to require 4 policies (instead of 2) - is it a bad installation on my end or does someone else see it?

Impi spear throw is basically double damage, it's an extra attack before melee, same here with cav.
If you play on very high difficulty you will maybe not notice it as much but I've even seen diety play where Impi really shone despite them being a backward tech unit.

I haven't played them in VP yet (only Vanilla) and my recollection was the spear throw was incredibly weak, my bad.

I haven't played them in VP yet (only Vanilla) and my recollection was the spear throw was incredibly weak, my bad.

The spear throw does make the prediction damage go wrong, either it doesn't take the thrown into consideration or prediction is just is plain too low, this can easily cause you to overstep and end up in traps with the unit if not careful.
Of course I used conquistadors in my game which already are stronger than knights.
Nor impi nor alhambra cav gets any defensive bonuses from the spear effect so misplaced units from rekless play die as easy as they normally do.

While I'm confident this Alhambra buff is probably OP, Conquistadors are not a good unit to test that with. Conquistadors are already one of the best, if not THE best unique unit in VP. Used properly, they're already close to OP in their era.

The relative power notwithstanding, this Jinete promotion is certainly an improvement over the free drill promotion.
Specific reference to Spanish history, more focused mounted flavor for the Wonder, and no more of the self-reported angst over so-called wasted promotions for units built before Alhambra is up.

In my opinion, the extra ranged attack would be more than enough reason to build Alhambra. That’s functionally a +40% XP and +25-40% damage promotion if that’s all it did.

Last edited:
Can confirm that in my games SoZ also requires 4 policies.

I also agree that Cavalry onwards should lose the rough terrain penalty.

City Assault (for land melee units): now reduces damage from city attacks by 50% in addition to current bonus
Is this really necessary? I thought the "vs. Cities" combat bonus already applies when you take damage from cities.

Is this really necessary? I thought the "vs. Cities" combat bonus already applies when you take damage from cities.

It does just not enough. Because of the high CS of cities, melee units still commonly take 20ish damage, even with drill promotions. That adds up very quickly.

The bonus vs Cities from Drill does not provide protection from City Bombardment.

Yeah I realized I was providing confusing info. What I meant was that by increasing the melee units' CS, it does in fact take less damage against the same city CS when it makes its melee attack. However, the difference is not large, and the melee unit still takes significant damage.

And phantom is right that the Drill and City Assault promotions do not provide defense against a city's attack. This was actually a revelation to me just a few months ago, and the tooltips were updated recently to make that note clearer.

new hotfixed beta version not playing nice with bunch of mods, crashing within 3 turns with at least a handful of them, improved city view for sure, (the hotfixed one gazebo fixed) and im still trying to isolate the other ones

new hotfixed beta version not playing nice with bunch of mods, crashing within 3 turns with at least a handful of them, improved city view for sure, (the hotfixed one gazebo fixed) and im still trying to isolate the other ones
I had crashes initially as well, but I cleaned through my civ folder and everything is fine now. Improved City View is not an offender because I'm currently using it fine.

Somehow I was able to choose Rationalism policy in the Renaissance era.
I suppose this is not how it should be?

I had crashes initially as well, but I cleaned through my civ folder and everything is fine now. Improved City View is not an offender because I'm currently using it fine.

what exactly do you mean by cleaned through? I deleted cache mod userdata and verified game integrity on steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom