New CivIV Screenshot from E3

Civ has always been more about the gameplay than the graphics, so I'm not too concerned, but I'm more than worried about some of the gameplay changes - so this is just the salt on the wound.

We'll see.

sourboy said:
Glad you can count, what's your point?

my point was that the graphics aren't that important, I think people are too caught up in the visuals. Civ2 has terrible graphics by today's standards but it's still a blast to play.

Anyone noticed that all screenshots so far show diamond-style tiles? IIRC, in the beginning it was said they would switch to orthogonal tiles, no?

Commander Bello said:
Anyone noticed that all screenshots so far show diamond-style tiles? IIRC, in the beginning it was said they would switch to orthogonal tiles, no?
Not all... I remember the first few Civ4 screenshot in PC GAMER showed rectangular tiles. But to answer it for sure we need to see a screenshot that has grid turned on. :)

Maybe the flags in the picture indicate the special ability of the unit.

sourboy said:
Damn, relax - it's a forum, filled with opinions.

The point is, why should a consumer pay more money for something that's equal to or slightly worse - or heck, even only slightly better - than something else they already own. People are merely discussing their feelings at this point, raising various issues - hoping that some of these programmers are lurking and can maybe say 'hey, they're right.'

Hmmm...I think I have worked out the basics of what a forum is...But cheers anyway!

;)

Well, morally incinerating the developer's hard work is not going to get
them to make any u-turns on your behalf, so please think about that.

The game will be a different animal when it comes to even the beta stage.

playshogi said:
Maybe the flags in the picture indicate the special ability of the unit.
The flags most likely indicate the Civilization. They're talking about the dots above the flag.

hey! maybe the flags represent class? one of them seems like a sword with shields crossed, and it's an infantry unit, nad maybe the other one isn't a horse, we jst can't percieve detail from the scanning

I hope those screenshots aren't what the game will actually look like, as the grainy appearance is irritating.

Yom said:
I hope those screenshots aren't what the game will actually look like, as the grainy appearance is irritating.
it is grainy because the image was scanned from a magazine

About the tiles : If rivers work like in civ3, it is likely that it will be diamonds
@ Yom, as Black hole said : Scans from magazines aren't the best, it is better in the real game. But don't take this as finished. The first pics look verydifferent from those.
About the flag : My opinion is that they represent abilities

Looks pretty cool to me. I don't give much of a crap about the graphics, as long as the gameplay is interesting. I would rather they spent more time on more varied artwork than the techinical side of things.

I actually go with Yom and microbe here. I don't like messed up places with multiple units.

I don't really bother about the graphics as they only support the gameplay and trust me, after 10 hours of play, who would care whether a river's flow is animated. It's the gameplay...

now, what I suddenly fancy would be that idea of evolving units with experience. Actually to think of a spear that via multiple victories could turn into a pike and later on a musket and so forth, something along that line would be truly amazing...

looking at that screenie...

lets assume that the screenshot size is going to be the (default) size of the games graphics, though apperentlly we will be able to zoom in and out of the map at our leisure (which promises to be a very cool thing indeed) am I the only one who thinks that the average troops could look a bit smaller? half the size, or at least more proportional with the surroundign enviroment would look hell cool; as it is, they look like colossai bestriding the earth; which is interesting, but I for one woudl like somthing looking a bit more realisitic in comparison with the enviroment, now that the option is conceivable

Moderator Action: Merged the thread with the existing one. Let's keep the discussion on that screenshot in one thread. -- TF

it illustrates my point, oh raging onel if you can find me a screenie that gives a better example of units just sort of standing around for size comparison, give it to me, and I'll be happy to use it. as it is, stop raging over a non-issue, its stupid.

Xen said:
am I the only one who thinks that the average troops could look a bit smaller? half the size, or at least more proportional with the surroundign enviroment would look hell cool; as it is, they look like colossai bestriding the earth; which is interesting, but I for one woudl like somthing looking a bit more realisitic in comparison with the enviroment, now that the option is conceivable
You are not the only one. A couple of people called those units "giants" earlier in this thread.

A cool option would be to allow players to choose the size (ex. small, medium, large) of the units in the game options. :) And while we are at it, allow people to use single unit instead of multi-unit representation if they prefer.

Thunderfall said:
You are not the only one. A couple of people called those units "giants" earlier in this thread.

A cool option would be to allow players to choose the size (ex. small, medium, large) of the units in the game options. :) And while we are at it, allow people to use single unit instead of multi-unit representation if they prefer.

That's a pretty good idea there. . .

I have to admit, the first time I saw them it felt weird looking at these giants. (Remember what was inside the first flap of the very original Civ III box?) ;)

What would have been interesting is if m-units really did represent multiple units (e.g. load 4 wariors into a group--Army?--so you get a grop of 4 wariors). I don't think that's been done before. Nice to see unique national flags though.

Someone suggested before that the graphics could be very different by the beta stage. I disagree simply based on screen-shots from other games at this stage of development: the graphics will probably stay pretty much the same from this point onwards (also note that in the past Firaxis has been wary of talking about features that may or may not be in the game for fear of a negative player response should things change later on).

Top Bottom