New Natural Wonders

all this talk about the "fantastic wonders" has me interested to actually search for games that include them. I wanna test out that "covet your lands" theory. don't know if I wanna pay $7.50 for spain/inca, however. anybody have the actual low-down on their civ-specific benefits?

Except that they'll round everything up. Do you think retailers will make up the difference when something costs $19.97 or whatever?
Yup, but there's analytic proof that the effect is of the "Communicating Vases Analogy" nature. Long term results, i guess, is that both consumers & stores can either gain or lose in any different ways.
Weren't they (Corps) the first to stick up the 19.99$ tags on 20$ value, anyway?
I'd round up to the nearest dime if it were just me... cuz, nickels aren't a decimal modulo (sorry, i dunno the exact english term) to the whole omnipotent 1$ or $2 coins.

Afraid, state taxes may cease such an opportunity to screw us again - though. As they calculate percentages rather than proportional amounts in prices.

all this talk about the "fantastic wonders" has me interested to actually search for games that include them. I wanna test out that "covet your lands" theory. don't know if I wanna pay $7.50 for spain/inca, however. anybody have the actual low-down on their civ-specific benefits?

There's been about four threads that have this info in it, but I'll give a quick and dirty version.

Inca:
Free roads on hills, half priced roads elsewhere, no movement penalty on hills
Slinger - archer unit with promotion that gives it an 80% chance of withdrawing when attacked (but they're more likely to die when attacked).
Terrace - unique tile improvement. Built on hills. Honestly can't remember what is does.

Spain:
Bonuses to discovering and working natural wonders (apparently 500 gold for being the first to discover one).
Tercio - Musket unit, slightly stronger, plus +100% against mounted
Conquistador - Knight unit that also doubles as a settler.

You don't need to buy the DLC in order to get the Natural Wonders, they're in the patch.

In conclusion to the current controversy about New Natural Wonders, i can only deduct that it's all a clear Ockham's razor issue.

Ockham's Razor will probably be a natural wonder in the second expansion.

Gives a permanent bonus to swordsman and spearman units that spend a turn nearby; makes their swords sharper.

There's been about four threads that have this info in it, but I'll give a quick and dirty version.

Inca:
Free roads on hills, half priced roads elsewhere, no movement penalty on hills
Slinger - archer unit with promotion that gives it an 80% chance of withdrawing when attacked (but they're more likely to die when attacked).
Terrace - unique tile improvement. Built on hills. Honestly can't remember what is does.

Spain:
Bonuses to discovering and working natural wonders (apparently 500 gold for being the first to discover one).
Tercio - Musket unit, slightly stronger, plus +100% against mounted
Conquistador - Knight unit that also doubles as a settler.

You don't need to buy the DLC in order to get the Natural Wonders, they're in the patch.

sorry, was having trouble finding it. thanks for the info. think I'll play for a while with patch before even looking at dlc. spain looks to be crazy powerful as an "explorer" civ. go very early 2 scouts + trireme explorer even on immortal, great lighthouse is quite useful, etc. inca could have potential but look a bit...odd. I could see using the slinger UU bonus to stock up on a bunch of retreat-able rifles later on, but that's very expensive and unlikely to be doable on a game where that ended up being the decisive advantage. terrace is ok, depending on how many mountains and hills you have obviously, ditto the UA. I would assume that the inca typically start in very hilly terrain at least.

Gives a permanent bonus to swordsman and spearman units that spend a turn nearby; makes their swords sharper.

how about + 1 culture in all courthouse/palace b/c everyone is so smooth-shaven? ;)

Making their sword sharper will really help spearman :D

It's hard to imagine how they thought they were natural wonders. I guess they wanted some Spanish natural wonders and Spain doesn't have any, so they used the fictional ones.

I liked the idea of calling them Fantastic Wonders and having their spawn potential be turned on or off in Advanced Setup.

I read a little about Potosi (wikipedia), that seems pretty cool. A Rich Mountain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potosí

Coming back to magical wonders: When i ve read the stuff in this thread i was thinking "well, this is ridiculous.. why the hell have they done that?". Then i just wanted to see them in game so i made up a huge map in the future (revealed map) but there was neither Fountain of youth nor el dorado so i gave it another shot and another... In the end i needed 10 games on huge maps to see both once!! Means these wonders are REALLY rare... And on this point i can somehow live with it. I mean sure they do not exist on this world, but civ is creating a whole new world every time, so why no el dorado there?? It seems to me like something really surprising if i find one of those in a game which might make it more thrilling. Acually im always already happy if the wonder i find is not old faithful again :D The damn thing seems to be on every map.

Perhaps if they delete this healing upgrade then it could be as well any source which are credited with healing abilities in the minds of the ppl then.

El Dorado shouldnt be a natural wonder, it wasn't supposed to be a natural feature. :p

Fountain of youth ... could have had a wonder that is more ... natural that does the same thing. What about the Ganges river or something? OK, I suppose in the year 2010 pollution and overuse from India's massive population has diminished its healing qualities somewhat, but traditionally the water there was supposed to be exceptionally clean. Or something real.

It's hard to imagine how they thought they were natural wonders. I guess they wanted some Spanish natural wonders and Spain doesn't have any, so they used the fictional ones.

I liked the idea of calling them Fantastic Wonders and having their spawn potential be turned on or off in Advanced Setup.

I read a little about Potosi (wikipedia), that seems pretty cool. A Rich Mountain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potosí

Spain was in possession of the Rock of Gibraltar for centuries.

Spain was in possession of the Rock of Gibraltar for centuries.

WHOOPS! They should have held Rock of Gibraltar for their DLC push.

Bob_ (a few posts above) makes a good case for the fantastic wonders, but I still don't like the idea of them. There are a lot of real natural wonders to choose from.

Good grief. Why can't all of the complainers just think of these as Natural Wonder #16, #17 and #18?

What if the AI gets them? (I don't recall the mechanics of finding these things first or the AI.)
The AI won't use them nearly as good as a human. Those types of mechanics are tricky for the AI just like how the AI has trouble using about half the civ abilities properly.

Fountain of Youth shouldn't be in the game. It creates gameplay I wouldn't label as fun at all. The other one is about 1/4 as bad, but still bad.

Hilarious, i might add that the new "diversity" of yields for the earlier ones is enjoyable & much appreciated. But now that i know how Spain gets a whole lotta money out of simply discovering any, i prefer to get lucky if not to race like hell towards ElDorado asap if by any chance Isabella was randomly shown during my games setup. As Skywalker says to Solo; She's RICH!
Considerable consequences, in fact.

Top Bottom