New Official Version - October 7th (10-7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been able to finish a game. It keeps crashing to desktop when I am about 20-30 turns from winning. It has happened 3 games in a row now. I have tried to play the preceding turns a bit differently but it keeps crashing on the same turn. Is this a known problem / any recommendations for this or would it require me posting my save game data somewhere to analyze specific problem?

If I'm not mistaken, some other civ needs to have heavy cultural influence, a.k.a. lots of tourism, in order to have a city flip to an opponent, instead of becoming a city-state. I remember games in which the AI had a city becoming a CS next to me (one was even the city he had a Notre Dame). I don't remember what influence level is required for that, but you should be able to avoid giving a city to an opponent merely by working on culture and tourism.

I remember an old discussion about luxuries being the major factor behind happiness. Keeping friendly relations to enough civs, allying city-states for their luxuries (especially the mercantile ones) and expending great admirals are a priority during expansion.

I haven't seen luxuries make much difference in my games as of late... Maybe it's time to look at the math behind luxuries again.

what a time to not have logs turned on ;-;
If i could describe it i took out spain from the game around turn 100 on epic then settled the area i razed at turn 223 the coral they had left is not registering as a luxury and all my cities want coral now :/

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 114
I haven't been able to finish a game. It keeps crashing to desktop when I am about 20-30 turns from winning. It has happened 3 games in a row now. I have tried to play the preceding turns a bit differently but it keeps crashing on the same turn. Is this a known problem / any recommendations for this or would it require me posting my save game data somewhere to analyze specific problem?

Please make a bug report on the project Github.

https://github.com/LoneGazebo/Community-Patch-DLL/issues

i'm not altogether against the city flipping directly to neighbour but should be only in the extreme circumstances... i've only had it happen once since it was implemented, and this feels about right to me, but it wouldn't bother me if it were even rarer...

the idea of flipping it to barb instead sounds pretty interesting, as it allows player to react and maybe contest indirectly with neighbour

the CS idea sounds great too but in 43-civ & 20 CS game there are no free slots so would have to be assigned to existing CS which might be jarring if they are not close... still not altogether terrible imo.. don't they already flip to CS sometimes though?

They do flip to CS sometimes but they are neutral and difficult to recapture without consequences. In small maps even standard map games loosing one city is a big punishment which is why a temporary CS alliance eases the pain and helps to reduce rage quit. Like wise if it flipped to a barbarian city then you have a very valuable city at stake with a heap of infrastructure in it which needs to be recaptured but meanwhile the punishment is still there and you fall too far behind and rage quit.

Problem of barbarian city is that it can't work any land tiles and will starve to a few population real quick.

Crashed early playing Denmark. Loaded my last save and the AI immediately made a different move than it did before (I did the exact same thing). So the crash ended up not being reproducible. I'm submitting the save and logs anyway, just frustrating (I didn't have the random seed thing turned on).

They do flip to CS sometimes but they are neutral and difficult to recapture without consequences. In small maps even standard map games loosing one city is a big punishment which is why a temporary CS alliance eases the pain and helps to reduce rage quit. Like wise if it flipped to a barbarian city then you have a very valuable city at stake with a heap of infrastructure in it which needs to be recaptured but meanwhile the punishment is still there and you fall too far behind and rage quit.

i get it now.. this makes sense then, though maybe thematically jarring, as a revolution resulting in some kind of new state irl seems to rarely result in a military alliance with the former collective they just left... maybe i'd go for friends though, right near the threshold of allies, so previous owner has advantage in making them allies

One of the late game consequences of the city assault change from a few versions ago (dropping the +50% bonus to 33%), is in late game infantry vs tanks.

I use to still make City Assault Infantry for city taking, and tanks for charge.... aka let tanks mow down the forces and then infantry would assault the city. Drill III Tanks do decently at it but infantry were stronger for the big cities. Now I find tanks are just better, I do use infantry to hold certain chokepoints (or if I have no oil of course) but otherwise its all tanks all the time.

I don't know if that is enough to consider a reversion, it could be well argued that at that stage in the game tanks should be taking over the limelight. I do still use city assault in earlier eras though I've definitely felt the loss of the extra power.

So here's an example of the AI handling exceptional religious pressure very well.

So I have Churches + Orthodoxy, so I am busting out the pressure from all sides of this continent. And though my pressure has definately weakened the AI religion over time, all of the civs have dutifully used inquisitors + missionaries to maintain their religious strengths. The AI has even thrown enough pressure back that some of my religion has slid from time to time.

Spoiler :

upload_2020-11-25_13-1-7.png

upload_2020-11-25_13-3-14.png

i'm not altogether against the city flipping directly to neighbour but should be only in the extreme circumstances... i've only had it happen once since it was implemented, and this feels about right to me, but it wouldn't bother me if it were even rarer...

the idea of flipping it to barb instead sounds pretty interesting, as it allows player to react and maybe contest indirectly with neighbour

the CS idea sounds great too but in 43-civ & 20 CS game there are no free slots so would have to be assigned to existing CS which might be jarring if they are not close... still not altogether terrible imo.. don't they already flip to CS sometimes though?

If I recall correctly the order of priority is:
1. Flip to original owner (if any)
2. Flip to civ with ideological pressure (if any)
3. Become City-State

I wouldn't be opposed to adding:
4. Become Barbarian city

I doubt that the AI intentionally took one of my city states right before this key sanction vote.... which caused me to lose the vote by 1 even though I am dominating the WC at the moment....but it feels that way, and its ingenious. So kudos AI you got me on this one!

Spoiler :

upload_2020-11-25_13-30-6.png

If I recall correctly the order of priority is:
1. Flip to original owner (if any)
2. Flip to civ with ideological pressure (if any)
3. Become City-State

I wouldn't be opposed to adding:
4. Become Barbarian city

i realize this is old update stuff, and not a current change, but out of curiosity, anyone know what happens in the circumstance that neither condition 1 or 2 (as listed by Recursive) are satisfied in a game of 43 civ & 20 CS? Or 22 civ and 41 CS? ie if all the slots are full? Does the city just not flip?

I wonder if this is why i see it happen so seldom, as i most often play one of the civ/CS configurations above, filling all slots.

Standard Communitas_79 Immortal as Morocco. DV on Turn 330.

I was pretty happy with this game, even though I got surrounded on all sides by civ, I was able to jump start ahead and build up enough units with enough defensive terrain to pacify my neighbors. So much so that I got numerous friendships and even defensive pact offers this game, which kept things peaceful for a long time. It was a bit intense at the end when Shaka starting going conquest crazy, but I was already on the speedy path to victory and was able to hold them off long enough to finish this game up quick.

Spoiler :

upload_2020-11-25_18-50-52.png

Just a few notes:

1) I wanted to give the Shaka AI a lot of credit in this game. They were mid to low in score most of the game, and honestly I rarely gave them much thought. They ROARED ahead during Industrial, and started conquering territory left in right. Than hit the east coast and took out one of my Civs, destroyed Theodora, and suddenly were on my borders. I have rarely seen another continent's AI able to put that kind of war pressure on me, so Kudos!

2) AA guns and Mobile Sams need a review. The issue right now is that they murder any fighter that performs an airsweep, even with all dog fighting promotions intact. Therefore, you have no means of countering the interception, you either take big damage on your bomber to soak it, or you just turn off air combat. I didn't see this in some other games because the AI wasn't giving them the proper promotions, but in this one some of them did have the right ones and now they are just deadly as hell.

3) Last game I noted buildings I wasn't building by the end game. This time while I still went wide I did play with freedom this game. So I got all hospitals in my civ, and therefore built a few more medical labs as well (I like labs, its just the hammers for both the hospital and lab is hard to muster). But otherwise the list is pretty much the same as before.

Standard Communitas_79 Immortal as Morocco. DV on Turn 330.

Using your image is a good example, but does anybody else not like the fact that the Communitu map always has the bulk of it's land placed at the poles (I've had plenty games with 10+/16 CS lined practically adjacent horizontally across the map)? It allows most civs access to just hug the border and practically nullify any flank/threat for the entire game, and although this map is designed to bring realism, I feel that in this instance it actually hurts balanced gameplay.

I love everything about the map except this, and I'm wondering if there's an easy tweak/setting to address it to my own personal liking. Preferably I'd want all the features of Communitu, with land placement more along the lines of the normal Continents map. Thank you @tu_79 and @azum4roll

Using your image is a good example, but does anybody else not like the fact that the Communitu map always has the bulk of it's land placed at the poles (I've had plenty games with 10+/16 CS lined practically adjacent horizontally across the map)? It allows most civs access to just hug the border and practically nullify any flank/threat for the entire game, and although this map is designed to bring realism, I feel that in this instance it actually hurts balanced gameplay.

I love everything about the map except this, and I'm wondering if there's an easy tweak/setting to address it to my own personal liking. Preferably I'd want all the features of Communitu, with land placement more along the lines of the normal Continents map. Thank you @tu_79 and @azum4roll

There is an adjustment — a simple one. I just forget what it is! I'm sure one of those two will tell you soon enough if you don't want to experiment.

I doubt that the AI intentionally took one of my city states right before this key sanction vote.... which caused me to lose the vote by 1 even though I am dominating the WC at the moment....but it feels that way, and its ingenious. So kudos AI you got me on this one!

I've had this happen more than once! I think it is intentional, and it's devious!!
Last game I noted buildings I wasn't building by the end game. This time while I still went wide I did play with freedom this game. So I got all hospitals in my civ, and therefore built a few more medical labs as well (I like labs, its just the hammers for both the hospital and lab is hard to muster). But otherwise the list is pretty much the same as before.

Did you still not use refineries/recycling plants even though you weren't playing Russia this game?

So I’ve read through the thread and seen the complaints about tech speed (especially on epic). I’m having the same issue on epic speed but in later eras.

I can keep up with techs pretty will until around the Industrial era. I’ve tried with several different civs and the AI starts teching super fast around industrial every time. I played a game as England where I was eclipsing my neighbors in techs for basically the whole game till I was in early-mid industrial and suddenly half the map blasted past me to modern.

Has something drastically changed in the last few versions? I’ve been gone for a while so I probably missed a version or two. I play on King and I’ve always been able to compete but now I can’t even keep up on Prince.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom