New Tech Tree Playtesting + Feedback

Could the Palace overflow be connected to lines 10963-10973 of CvPlayer.cpp? (@ void CvPlayer::setCapitalCity() )
When the palace moves, the commerce of the building changes. But there is no check if the civ is running Tributaries or Colonialism, so IIRC, it will always change the commerce of the new palace.

I don't think so. Well, for Colonialism, I managed to spot a +26 :commerce: in the palace in London while doing a 1700 AD start. That's 18+8, and as shown in its city screen, it had 9 luxury resources (1+3+2+1+1). Which is correct since the supposed effect of Colonialism is 2 :commerce:/resource. Moved capital away through WB and through debug tools, new palace had only original +8 :commerce:. What's weirder is that I changed England's territory civic away from Colonialism thru WB, but the +18 :commerce: still remained. Anyway, I suggest not tying the bonus commerce to the palace? Maybe something else, like the city tagged as the capital. (Technically there could still be a capital without a palace, right? If you make it happen through WB, again.) (I dunno, did I phrase it right? Lol)

EDIT: And oh, here's a photo. :)
Spoiler :

Last edited:
No, unless you break or circumvent the normal game rules, the city with the Palace will always be the capital. I chose to tie the effect to the building because changing extra commerce for buildings is a system that was already in place, and therefore required less work than adding another extra commerce property to cities.

Regardless, the challenge here is that the modifier can change from a number of causes, including gaining/losing resources, adopting/dropping the civic and moving the capital. The error likely is in the implementation of one of these scenarios, in which case it doesn't matter if the actual effect is attached to a building or the city itself.

The screenshot is showing a situation where everything is working right, correct? I really need a save where the bonus changes to something wrong.

No, unless you break or circumvent the normal game rules, the city with the Palace will always be the capital. I chose to tie the effect to the building because changing extra commerce for buildings is a system that was already in place, and therefore required less work than adding another extra commerce property to cities.

Regardless, the challenge here is that the modifier can change from a number of causes, including gaining/losing resources, adopting/dropping the civic and moving the capital. The error likely is in the implementation of one of these scenarios, in which case it doesn't matter if the actual effect is attached to a building or the city itself.

Okay, I understand. You've got a point: implementation may have gone wrong one of those scenarios. I think there could also be something about looping the addition of the bonus every turn? I don't know if it's sensible, but the amount of the overflow looks too alarming to disregard that possibility.

The screenshot is showing a situation where everything is working right, correct? I really need a save where the bonus changes to something wrong.

Yep, everything's working as it should in the screenshot I posted. Wasn't able to take screenshots of instances of the bug, though. I'll make sure to get some next time. On the first 2 instances I encountered the bug, it was a big negative commerce malus instead. Then in the next instances, it was a big positive commerce bonus. Both of them are in magnitudes of 100 (I saw a -200, a +200, and a +400, approximately).

Yeah, whenever you come across this again, please upload a save here!

There is something wrong with the Tributaries civic. Upon vassalizing the incas in my recent game, everything works correctly:
They own 3 cities, and my palace commerce gets bumped to 23.
However, when i release their cities, it gets weird: One extra city bumps the commerce to 43 and another one to 93!
I included the saves. One from before vassalizing the Inca, one where I did not gift them any city, one where I gifted the first city, and lastly the save where I gifted both cities.

I hope this helps!

Attachments

• 0VC, 8PC.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1 MB · Views: 98
  • 3VC, 23PC.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1 MB · Views: 107
  • 4VC, 43PC.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1 MB · Views: 90
  • 5VC, 93PC.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1 MB · Views: 86
YES those are the saves I've been waiting for.

Current idea of :yuck: from improvements warps gameplay in interesting ways. Since mines, workshops and villages all contribute to this it became impossible to designate single city as commerce one, there is no remedy for +10 - 15 :yuck: and:c5unhappy: in single city. Mass transit is at the end of game, way to late for that.
Same with mass workshops for industrial city.
New method is more smaller cities and adopting state party as fast as possible, or going full SE with farms and windmills everywhere.
Rainforests are also hurt by this because you can only cottage them.
Anybody has this kind of problems in their games?

There is something wrong with the Tributaries civic. Upon vassalizing the incas in my recent game, everything works correctly:
They own 3 cities, and my palace commerce gets bumped to 23.
However, when i release their cities, it gets weird: One extra city bumps the commerce to 43 and another one to 93!
I included the saves. One from before vassalizing the Inca, one where I did not gift them any city, one where I gifted the first city, and lastly the save where I gifted both cities.

I hope this helps!
Thanks for uploading these, it's what enabled me to fix the bug.

Downloaded the mod a few days ago and played a couple of games, found the bug of the image. I was running tributaries (and had Tibet and Khmer as vassals, both of which won and lost cities), then switched to colonialism to see If the bug would be fixed, but the palace bonus actually kept skyrocketting. I was also getting notifications of overflow at the coordinates of the capital.

And, is the bonus of the English Unique Building intended? The base bank now gives +25% gold, while the English one gives +65%.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0058.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0058.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 119
Downloaded the mod a few days ago and played a couple of games, found the bug of the image. I was running tributaries (and had Tibet and Khmer as vassals, both of which won and lost cities), then switched to colonialism to see If the bug would be fixed, but the palace bonus actually kept skyrocketting. I was also getting notifications of overflow at the coordinates of the capital.
I'm currently working on that very issue, thanks for the additional information. I'll also gladly take before-and-after saves for the scenario you describe.

And, is the bonus of the English Unique Building intended? The base bank now gives +25% gold, while the English one gives +65%.
Not intended, will fix.

These are saves of the same game. At India 3 it seems to be slighly off already, as my vassals have 2 cities in total, yet my palace gives 23g instead of 8 + 5*2. At India 4 and tosave the bug has already grown out of proportion.

Attachments

• India 3.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
  • India 4.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.8 MB · Views: 213
  • India tosave.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.9 MB · Views: 97
Thanks! How up to date are you? I already pushed a partial fix to develop a couple of days ago.

My first save with the new tech tree is from the day 23rd, so I most likely downloaded it that day.

Downloaded? You did not use the Git client?

Back on the matter of the palace-capital connection. Shouldn't a single flipped city without any prior cities present always become the capital? Also, shouldn't such a flip-capital always have a palace? I checked old RFC with Germans, and when Frankfurt flipped it got a palace, as would seem logical. When playing India under DoC, whenever I wait for Delhi to flip before founding Pataliputra (intention being to start both religions in one city), Delhi is marked as a capital but has no palace. At least it used to be like this. Should I check it out again? ;)

Seems like a bug, will look into it.

Okay, I am not developing the hrtechs branch anymore. The new techs are now also available on the develop branch, and I push all updates there. Do you might want to clone from there instead.

Top Bottom