• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

OT survey results

Well all the polls that asked the question directly showed a clear majority against the split. How likely is it that every single one of the 37.5% who didn't mention it would be in favour of the split? You only need 1 of those 37.5% to say they want a merge for there to be a majority who want a merge....... This whole thing is just bizarre.

The silent majority did not vote against the split, so only a small minority voted against it.

Truthfully, I kind of lean slightly against the split at the moment - mainly because I do not trust that Tavern levels of moderation will be the standard in a merged OT.

So you're saying the questions lacked clarity (or the potential for more clarity in the answers?)... :confused:

I had a hard time adequately answering these, which is why I never did get some answered that I wanted to (that, and my browser munching a few).

Atticus, if you want a clear answer to a clear question, you need to post the question. Have it require a Yes or No answer. Unless you word it in a poll that doesn't have a "fun" answer, of course, you're going to get responses all over the place.

I think the questions were fine and I think the graph posted in the first post was overwhelmingly clear... I just don't get this stuff about how we have to assume that every single one of the people who didn't mention the split at all actually did like the split and just forgot to mention it.

There was a survey? Oops...

I think the questions were fine and I think the graph posted in the first post was overwhelmingly clear... I just don't get this stuff about how we have to assume that every single one of the people who didn't mention the split at all actually did like the split and just forgot to mention it.

Although I was in favour of the split, this does remind me of an admin on a small imageboard who, on certain subjects, would operate on this principle
Spoiler :

@Kennigit - cherenkov blue.
Not to be a jerk, but why? CFC is not a church. It is not a massive corporation. It isn't some monolithic institution. Staff is what, a dozen people? 15? Making changes shouldn't be treated like the Reformation or something. You've been collecting data for years. I'm sure these same general themes have been discussed for AGES. If you don't want to make changes, it's because you're (staff, not you personally) either paralyzed at the concept of making a decision, or you aren't invested enough in the product to put forth a modicum of effort to do anything.

How many developers post here? If technology is a hangup, do you think you could just ask people for help?

I was actually more just talking about the time it can take to implement change. For example, lots of people seemed to express a desire for the moderator list to be cleared up. Staff reached some sort of decision on this months ago. Yet we are awaiting implementation, which seems fairly imminent. That's out of my control, and out the control of other moderators too.

Also, discussion of things can take a while, simply due to inactivity and process. If we were to remerge the OTs, for instance, we'd want a proper staff discussion on that. I imagine probably 4 or 5 moderators would chime in, and you could get one reply from each per day, as an average. So a proper discussion can take some time. Sure, we could just leave it up to one moderator making some sort of executive decision, but, although we realise this isn't some massive institution, we don't often get positive feedback for appearing to treat change trivially. It's best for us to think about what we need to do before we do it. Moderators have also been criticised in the past for being too invested.

So we could get more help in doing this, but that in itself requires both discussion and a degree of training/supervision. This is something we're discussing now, though, so hopefully the rate of change will speed up before too long.

It seems strange that the silent majority speculation is coming up here if not for the purpose of maintaining the split in the face of the fairly consistent feedback that is being provided. What if it was going the other way - would there be such open speculation that the community wanted the merge even though the pro-split side was getting in more feedback?

We don't assume that; by 'silent majority' I meant that a majority of people are silent, and silent people have a greater propensity to oppose change than those who are vocal. This is why it was a poor choice of words! I was not meaning to say that a majority of people opposed a remerge, but rather than a majority of people are generally silent on change, and that that group of people generally oppose change more than those participating in discussions.

As I said after that, though, the numbers themselves are not the point. Whether it's 45% (not a majority) or 55% (a majority) makes no difference. This is because this isn't a democracy. The point is that opinion is somewhat split, and whereas this isn't a democracy, if everyone is united in holding a particular opinion, that's definitely going to be very significant in our decision-making. But given split opinion, we're more interested in the merits of the arguments either way, rather than the exact number of people who actually want a remerge. I currently think a remerge with RDs has more merit than keeping things as they are. But that's distinct from me thinking that we better remerge because everyone's demanding it, and keeping forum members happy is a generally good idea.

The inference we've made about people who didn't specifically mention they want a remerge is not only drawn from the logical proposition that in general if people are in favour of a remerge they're going to mention it when asked about the subject, but also from the nature of the individual replies.

rather than continue to argue this why doesn't someone make a poll....

Because:

the numbers themselves are not the point. Whether it's 45% (not a majority) or 55% (a majority) makes no difference. This is because this isn't a democracy.

I guess you can create a poll if you like, but there's no point in doing so. We're interested in the arguments put forth, not in numbers.

Because:

I guess you can create a poll if you like, but there's no point in doing so. We're interested in the arguments put forth, not in numbers.

You may not decide to do anything based on a poll. But you could at least lay to rest the question of how many people want what rather than spend several (more) pages arguing about it.

@Kennigit - cherenkov blue.
thanks!

Some specific things that were mentioned were that PDMA shouldn't be so strictly forbidden, that the April fool's joke was terrible, that mods are snobbish or disdainful etc.

yeah the split has been a pretty long lasting April fool's joke :( ;)

re likes:
I am unfavourable toward "likes" or thumbs up/thumbs down, but that's just me. I don't really pay attention to small things anyways (tags, postcounts, the little moderator flag warnings, etc). I wouldn't care as long as I don't really see it clutter anything.

But speaking about lack of visibility, I know my complaints were about lack of visibility of punishments---posts get ninja-mod-editted without warnings assigned, threads get quietly closed or moved, posts get quietly deleted. and moderator flag warnings are not prominent enough. People get unfairly or fairly moderated and it is quietly forgotten.

Particularly thread OPs, there are many bad threads that get started that run a 3-4 page course and get closed without much penalty to the OP creator. And the threads may not necessarily be terrible, just something that is answerable in a 5 second google search, so trolls take over a useless thread.

Just stop and smell the flower slap a line of text "thread is terrible; please make an effort to make a better thread"

make people know their posting or thread creating habits are bad and don't beat around the bush.

I guess allowing more PDMA is part of that too. things get quietly dealt with then no PDMA is allowed, but making mod actions more visible allows posters to either call out the mods on bad calls or approve of the action.

An official poll would help, IMO. The problem with random posters starting a poll is that you don't get as much serious feedback. The particular OP that starts it can influence opinions.

Although the reasons for a Yes/No vote would help, I suppose. Right now there are exactly 5 people viewing The Chamber, 41 viewing The Tavern. I guess I just don't understand the reasons for even having The Chamber. When they were combined, the number viewing was often triple digits. Correlation without causation, possibly, but possibly not.

I guess allowing more PDMA is part of that too. things get quietly dealt with then no PDMA is allowed, but making mod actions more visible allows posters to either call out the mods on bad calls or approve of the action.
I think this is a good idea as well. The zero-tolerance on PDMA does not seem helpful, but rather less likely to provide examples to others as to what is acceptable & why some things get infracted but similar things don't. "Please read the rules" is too generic. Maybe you could confine PDMA to a single sticky thread & still not allow it in the thread where it happened?

Also, I'm not in favor of Likes. Especially if you want to reduce the circle-jerkiness.

yeah the split has been a pretty long lasting April fool's joke :( ;)

re likes:
I am unfavourable toward "likes" or thumbs up/thumbs down, but that's just me.
I'm on the fence. I've seen it used well and I've seen it cause irreparable harm to forum morale and good will between members. My points above are intended to say to the moderators that if they prefer not to install any "like/reputation" system, be honest and don't say it's because it's too hard to do. It isn't. But saying it's because you don't want to risk the morale of this place makes more sense (if that's one of the reasons).

But speaking about lack of visibility, I know my complaints were about lack of visibility of punishments---posts get ninja-mod-editted without warnings assigned, threads get quietly closed or moved, posts get quietly deleted. and moderator flag warnings are not prominent enough. People get unfairly or fairly moderated and it is quietly forgotten.
It's frustrating to report a post and never know if anything was done about it. It's not correct to say that no mod tags = no action. I know that action frequently happens behind the scenes, or via PM. The not-knowing can give the impression that the staff simply ignored the situation, or doesn't care.

Particularly thread OPs, there are many bad threads that get started that run a 3-4 page course and get closed without much penalty to the OP creator. And the threads may not necessarily be terrible, just something that is answerable in a 5 second google search, so trolls take over a useless thread.
To be fair, the OP might not have intended to create a terrible thread. I've noticed that things can get sent off on a tangent by the third post, though, and it never recovers.

I think this is a good idea as well. The zero-tolerance on PDMA does not seem helpful, but rather less likely to provide examples to others as to what is acceptable & why some things get infracted but similar things don't. "Please read the rules" is too generic.
This phrase is basically useless, because the rules are not posted all together in one place. And even then, it's sometimes not clear exactly which rule has been broken. And when a moderator just parrots the link to the "rules" instead of explaining... that creates more frustration.

What's more helpful when a poster asks "What's wrong with my post?"

"You said x, y, and z, which are against the rules because..." or
"READ THE RULES!"?

We don't assume that; by 'silent majority' I meant that a majority of people are silent, and silent people have a greater propensity to oppose change than those who are vocal. This is why it was a poor choice of words! I was not meaning to say that a majority of people opposed a remerge, but rather than a majority of people are generally silent on change, and that that group of people generally oppose change more than those participating in discussions.

As I said after that, though, the numbers themselves are not the point. Whether it's 45% (not a majority) or 55% (a majority) makes no difference. This is because this isn't a democracy. The point is that opinion is somewhat split, and whereas this isn't a democracy, if everyone is united in holding a particular opinion, that's definitely going to be very significant in our decision-making. But given split opinion, we're more interested in the merits of the arguments either way, rather than the exact number of people who actually want a remerge. I currently think a remerge with RDs has more merit than keeping things as they are. But that's distinct from me thinking that we better remerge because everyone's demanding it, and keeping forum members happy is a generally good idea.

The inference we've made about people who didn't specifically mention they want a remerge is not only drawn from the logical proposition that in general if people are in favour of a remerge they're going to mention it when asked about the subject, but also from the nature of the individual replies.

I don't understand why you're saying opinion is split either. Every other poll we've had has given an overwhelming majority for those who don't like the split. Like, 2:1 and 3:1 majorities. 2 or 3 times as many people don't like the split than like the split. And the poll results in the OP also support this... 4 times as many people said they wanted to remerge the OTs than said they wanted to keep them separate.

And it's not a "logical" proposition to say that every single one of the people who didn't mention the split actually really like the split. That's nonsense and frankly it just undermines the moderators by continuing to repeat it. I'm not privy to the nature of the individual replies, but on the basis of your continued Comical Ali assertion that "no mention of the split" actually means "support for the split", I simply cannot trust your judgement at all...

EDIT: I made some pictures:

We shouldn't be encouraging the circlejerk, if they want "likes" they can go to facebook or reddit and wallow in that filth.

Agreed. There is no question that some posters want to keep discussion effectively closed off, to only opinions that they approve of. Whenever they read something they disagree with, it is suddenly a "problem poster". A typical theme of some threads, 1 maybe 2 pages of posts of the circlejerk, than new guy comes in with a contradictory opinion. An hour later he has like 5 replies, 1 or 2 might be constructive the other three are ad hominens or strawman. All the while, the five are complaining about "problem posters" behind their keyboards, when it is really a problem of people having closed minds.

These guys can go to the Guardian and recommend one another's posts and slap each other on the back about how enlightened and intelligent they are; yet it makes for terrible discussion.

Mise: That question is irrelevant, since
1) We don't hold the survey an adequate measure of people's opinion on the matter, and
2) Even if we did, ultimately, the merge is up for the admins decide.

Still, as a theoretical question, if people are asked how they would organize the Colosseum, and they don't mention the merging the OTs, I don't see any other reasonable way to read it than that they don't actively support it. There was for example nomentions that the Sci and Tech should be merged with Humor and Jokes. Thus, I presume that none of the repliers actively support that. If someone thinks that the OTs should be merged, I think it can be safely assumed that he'd also write that as an answer to that question.

I suppose that you folks are reading this whole thing from the point of view that we have some huge need to deceive you on this matter. At least I personally don't have.

So you're saying the questions lacked clarity (or the potential for more clarity in the answers?)... :confused:

Yes. The questions weren't discussed so thoroughly in the staff, since we felt it's better to have some idea of people's opinion rather than to delay it for ages. This is the downside of getting things done quickly.

1) We have already held several polls, every single one of which showing a clear majority opposing the split
2) Yes yes I realise our opinions are irrelevant. Well, to be fair, not all opinions are irrelevant -- just the ones that disagree with the admins.

I've been talking about the theoretical question as well. They may well not actively support the merge, but you seem to be taking "not actively supporting" to mean "opposing". The fact that you don't claim to have any motivation for making this weird inference makes it all the more baffling that you'll continue to make it.

This guff about "discussing" the questions annoys me too. It would have been quite easy to ask the question directly: "Do you like the split or would you rather remerge the OTs?" You don't have to set up a question asking committee and hold 10 day talks on the proper wording of the question. You just ask a simple "split or merge" question. Why didn't you do that? Is it because you already knew what the answer would be? Did you write the question in such a vague and inconclusive way exactly because you wanted to later claim that no conclusions could be drawn from it?

Of course, the answer to all of that is "no". How silly of me! You did it quickly because you were rushed and hence the question lacked clarity. It's impossible to ask a clear question without deliberating and discussing it for weeks, months even. How silly of me to think otherwise.

Though maybe 'therefore aliens' would be more appropriate. I dunno.

These are two of the answers we got to the survey:
I see nothing much wrong with how it's organized.
The current organization is fine. Maybe put OT back together.
The first discloses no opinion on a remerge, and the second would be in favour of a remerge. It would be fanciful to say, though, that the first answer can be interpreted as support for a remerge, and the second is an active proponent of it. That is not to say that the first would oppose a remerge, and the second certainly wouldn't. But there's shades of opinion between being an active proponent demanding a remerge and being happy to accept whatever happens. The results do not disclose a majority of people as being active proponents of a remerge. Simple as that. There is no way to read the results and come to that conclusion. Thus, we cannot take from these results the message that a vast majority of people want a remerge; something that would certainly shape how we move forward.

I think what you're trying to get at is whether or not people would oppose a remerge. As stated above, the first answerer would not necessarily oppose a remerge. There's no way to tell from the answer; no way in which to draw an inference. But that doesn't mean that their lot should be thrown in with those who are active proponents of change (nor should the second answerer), and doesn't detract from the point that opinion is divided on the issue.

So when we are making an inference about those who are not actively supporting a remerge, that is not to make an inference that those people would oppose change (or are active opponents diametrically opposed to the active supporters). Rather, it is to make an inference that they are not supportive of change. This is a pretty important distinction. Please note what Atticus said on the first page:
Atticus said:
On the merge issue, I think the only way to read the results is that if a person didn't in some form say that the OTs should be merged, he doesn't support (actively) the idea. Of course that doesn't mean that they are against it either.
Actively support. It could be that 80% of people would not oppose a remerge, and 80% of people would not oppose a continuation of the split. These are not mutually exclusive results, because lots of people are ambivalent (even amongst those who answered in favour of a split, as seen in the second answer above). So we may be talking past each other when we say that we infer that those who didn't mention a remerge aren't active supporters, and you say that a vast majority would not oppose a remerge. If you are arguing that the results make clear that a vast majority of people are active supporters of a remerge, then no, that is simply wrong. The results tell us nothing of the sort.

Also don't conflate opposition to the split with support for a remerge. Some saw the split as tainted by its timing or the lack of prior consultation, but may not necessarily oppose the continuance of the existing system. Similarly, some prefer the current situation to that existing before the split, but would like a remerged OT with different standards even more.

Your conspiracy theory is cute, but I don't get where it comes from, when the two of us answering questions in this thread have specifically said that we are in favour of a remerge. I'm perplexed by your logic, which seems to suggest that Atticus and I decided to wilfully misinterpret the results of the survey because we enjoy more people disagreeing with us, and making our job harder for ourselves. For if everyone was in favour of a remerge, that would make our job easy. We could just do it and everyone would be happy, ourselves included. You seem to be looking for us to ignore the opinions of people you disagree with by classing them as irrelevant and insignificant, and I don't know why you would seek to do that when you could just argue for the merits of a remerge instead, to convince people that that is the best way to proceed.

On the wording of the question itself, I drafted it, and Atticus disagreed with it. There wasn't any further discussion on it beyond Atticus expressing his disagreement, because we decided to just post the survey, which had already been delayed. Both Atticus and I were about to be a little inactive, so no discussion could take place without even further delay. I drafted it broadly because I wasn't just interested in an OT remerge. The status of A&E and S&T have been important topics too. Moreover, I was interested in gauging people who are active proponents of a remerge, rather than those who are simply happy to go along with it. A question not specifically mentioning a remerge captures the former rather than the latter.

You could have asked us whether we were actively in favour of remerging or actively against etc. You could have done it in a separate question, one for the split/merge specifically and one more general question about the other issues you mentioned. You could have done it as two parts of the same question. There's lots of ways you could have asked us for our opinion on the split/merge, if you wanted to know them.

anyway here are the polls that asked the question about the split directly:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=458151&highlight=split
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=467125&highlight=split
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=460876&highlight=split
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=459034&highlight=split
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=458152&highlight=split

Crystal clear, no? What inferences can you draw from them? And, given these results, how likely is it that your conclusion is actually accurate? It's like, your conclusion completely flies in the face of all of these other polls - what makes you think that your inferences and interpretations and unique insights are more accurate than actual polls?

Top Bottom