Paris suburbs - Is it starting again?

Fair enough, but I don't see riots on a regular basis around the US capital. This has been on/off for some time now. Previously, IIRC, it effected many more locations, not just one bad area, as you say here.

Remember the LA riots? People were killed. People don't get killed in French riots.
All I'm saying is that it's not as bad as the media makes it :)

Remember the LA riots? People were killed. People don't get kill in French riots.
All I'm saying is that it's not as bad as the media makes it :)

Sure, but why is it so consistent? The LA riots and random "gang neighborhoods" in the US are isolated events, usually quelled in a short time.

In France (and I'm asking, as I certainly don't know), it seems as though it's occurred in many areas of the country, at least in recent months, and may be starting up again. Why is there no resolution, and will this continue in the future?

Sure, but why is it so consistent? The LA riots and random "gang neighborhoods" in the US are isolated events, usually quelled in a short time.

It's the same thing for France. Usually isolated events, usually quelled in a short time. Rarely, it's a lot bigger and longer, like last year's riots. But these were not the norm.

In France (and I'm asking, as I certainly don't know), it seems as though it's occurred in many areas of the country, at least in recent months, and may be starting up again. Why is there no resolution, and will this continue in the future?

Why is there no resolution? Because it's an extremely complex problem. You don't "solve" ghetto-related issues by snapping your fingers, I think you can agree to that, no?
Will this continue in the future? I think yes.

I wont be satisfied until they start railroad riots.

What is it with the French and Rioting? Did they love the bloody murder of the French Revolution so much their genes were infused with the impulsion to rebel?

You're just jealous, aren't you? ;) How's the protest going on the little island?

It's the same thing for France. Usually isolated events, usually quelled in a short time. Rarely, it's a lot bigger and longer, like last year's riots. But these were not the norm.
That's the point of the thread, I believe? To draw a parallel between the current riots and last years mass riots... will it continue to get out of hand?

Marla can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what my response is based on. Isolated riots are no big deal. A repeat of last year would be widely known, and very unfortunate.

Why is there no resolution? Because it's an extremely complex problem. You don't "solve" ghetto-related issues by snapping your fingers, I think you can agree to that, no?
Will this continue in the future? I think yes.
So last years riots were just escalated "ghetto" discords? I thought maybe it was beyond the normal disturbance, reflective of a larger, more widespread issue. If you agree it will continue, surely there is more contributing than you imply?

Note for Americans : There is no suburbia as you know it in France. The suburbs (banlieues) of Paris are huge bedding communities built after the war and thru the 70's.
Don't generalize that much. Paris suburbs are of an extreme diversity, and in land area, individual housing sprawl still dominates (though not necessarily in population, that depends of locations).

It's true that in France the expression "jeunes de banlieue" is widely used by journalists to specifically mean someone having been raised in a housing project, but that doesn't mean that "la banlieue" is only about housing projects.

It's true individual housings in Paris are generally of a different kind of the one in the US though. Generally, houses are closer to one another, and there are fences on streetside to close the property from the exterior. I find this rather sad but that's the way it is.

We can still find copycats of US suburbs in Paris, predominantly in the outer ring:

But anyway, even in portraying Paris suburbs this way, I charicature them. The diversity of landscapes in the Paris suburbs is just huge. Insanely high urban density as in Levallois, bourgeoise "old town" as in Versailles, skyscrapers in La Défense, collections of rich villas in Le Vésinet, suburban Chinatown as in Lognes, popular dense neighbourhood as in Montreuil, rich condos as in Neuilly... Well, all this to say that the 8 million Parisians living in the suburbs are not all in housing projects.

OK, so german are cold and nordics, and Italians thieves :lol:

yes we steal french girls:lol: (french girls are crazy for our italian style)

Not all of them are Abdullahs, some are Muhammads, Mahmuds, Alis, Boutrous, Mikhael, not to mention Fatima, Khadija also

you have forgotten Zizou Zidane and his last match:lol:

keep you hands off our beautifull banlieu, many french-italians live there

ok i've already a plan
1)i will send a message this message to italians there " get out "
2)i will bombard with napalm banlies to kill all rioters
i hope you aren't a rioter(i was kidding:lol: )

you that's becuase you Kiddo wasn't around when Goethe was :p:lol:

you haven't understood me;)

@ Marla : Thanks for the precision, I posted quickly and made a generalization.
@ll : After watching the news tonight it looks like it won't be a repeat of last year...

I'm quite amazed about the "stolen moto" part of the story.

I haven't heard, for the moment, in any french newspaper, that the moto were stolen. It would be quite amazing that the only source about the stolen moto that no newspaper (even from belgium, which are known to tell everything in France...) react on that.

About the fact that some people act violently. Well, some people were waiting for events like this one to discharge all their hate in the street. As most people know in France, there will be dew arrestations and little trial.

There's no fear of the police. Then they do what they want. I'm not a pro-police, far from it. But if the police can't restore order, well, that's normal some people do anything they want. It's like illegal downloading: there's no fear of being caught, why bother paying if it can be free?

It's another riot in France, isn't this how you guys mark your seasons?
I can't wait until something HUGE pisses the . .. .. .. . out you guys. I want to see what an over the top riot in France looks like. If only the Bastille was still stormable...
I want to go to France someday, I'll try and tie my visit in with a riot.

If I remember correctly, the riots from last year (or was it 2005...?) lasted for almost three weeks. I doubt these will last as long.

It seems it's going the same way as a year ago. Nothing has changed since then, so probably its getting worse.
Apparently there are many more wounded cops and firemen than 2 years ago. There are serious risk this would be more violent... not simply a car-burning competition between rival districts, but it's too soon to tell yet.

Apparently French media are extremely cautious, because they remember that they've been caught as the "referee" counting points then and they don't want to make the same mistake. For instance, they don't give the name of the other districts outside Villiers-le-Bel where events happened, and they don't give any figure about car or bus burning. That's a good thing.

Unfortunately, the only figure they've given is the number of wounded cops, telling there was an increase from sunday night to yesterday night. I don't believe it is really wise to mention such an increase. Rioters have shot on cops on yesterday night, one of them taking a bullet in the shoulder. Police only responded with flashballs and lachrymatory agents.

Well, the situation is quite tense.

From where i lived (Antony 92), the situation seems tensed in Villiers le Bel and Val d'Oise, but the rest is quite calm for the moment...

I'm not as "afraid" as you, but i've always been consider as a reckless person

For instance, they don't give the name of the other districts outside Villiers-le-Bel where events happened, and they don't give any figure about car or bus burning. That's a good thing. - Marla

Why is this a good thing? Isn't the media's job to report the news. Seems to me that the locations of the violence and its intensity is some vital information. I mean, if I lived in Paris and had to travel through some of these places for work, I would want to know where the violence is. Or better yet, if I LIVED in and around these area's, I'd want to know where the violence was.

What benefit is there in systematically not reporting news? I don't understand.

Why is this a good thing? Isn't the media's job to report the news. Seems to me that the locations of the violence and its intensity is some vital information. I mean, if I lived in Paris and had to travel through some of these places for work, I would want to know where the violence is. Or better yet, if I LIVED in and around these area's, I'd want to know where the violence was.

What benefit is there in systematically not reporting news? I don't understand.

Rioters get a kick out of being in the news.

Rioters get a kick out of being in the news.

Oh gee. That sounds like a great reason to purposefully repress information that might lead to people being safer...

"Well, I suppose I'll go through this neighboorhood. Maybe, I dunno, keep my fingers crossed that they aren't rioting a block from here. It sure would be nice if the news folk would just tell us where the violence is so we can avoid it..."

Crush them - arrest anybody who commits an offence, jail anybody who attacks a policeman and shoot anybody who fires at a policeman.

What cannot be accomplished by the use of force can be accomplished by the use of even greater force.

^^just weigh up the pros and cons: accurate news will never be accurate enough to inform you about such inpredictable things as riots.

Top Bottom