Pick the Civ5 Leaders (There's a Catch)

Ito Hirobumi. Yes, I do have an obsession with suggesting him.

Simon Bolivar would be cool...but he would require a new civilization.

Henry IV would be pretty neat, too, and perhaps William the Conquerer or Richard.

Oh, and this thread needs more Hitler.

Poland
Mieszko I
Casimir III The Great
Wladyslaw II Jagiello (Poland/Lithuania)

Scandinavia
Sven Forkbeard
Margaret (Queen Margrethe I)
Gustavus Adolphus (Gustav II Adolf)

Israel
David
Salomon
Joshua

Assyria
Tiglath-Pileser I
Tiglath-Pileser III
Ashurbanipal

Sumeria
Sargon of Akkad

Babylon
Nebuchadnezzar II

India
Chandragupta Maurya

England
Richard I (the Lionheart)

Germany
Frederick Barbarossa

If a choice must be made between more leaders or more civs I'd prefer the latter. To find Civ4 including three leaders for America, England, France and Russia while so many potential civs/countries/empires are left out of the game is frustrating to say the least.

Leaders I missed in Civ4

• USA - Thomas Jefferson.
  • England - Henry II
  • Mongolia - Ogedei Khan obviously.
  • Rome - lots and lots of rulers to choose from... Sula, Trajan, Marcus Aurelius, Hadrian, list goes on.
  • Arabia - Muhammad. Period. Nevermind fanatics.
  • Ottomans - Osman I The creator of Empire. Must be in, period.
  • Persia - Xerxes.
  • Holy Roman Empire - Barbarosa, for gods sake.

Iván de España;8938601 said:
In the reign of Harun ar-Rashid, the Arab Empire reached its peak in science, culture, and economy.
Respectively, wrong, maybe, and maybe, depending on how you define "culture" and "economy". And none of them had much to do with his actions.

Id like to see Hitler as a leader for germany. I mean i know its controversial, but for civ4 our unique unit was the panzer and we got assembly plants as buildings. And while it is for all the wrong reasons hitler is the most well known german leader, and he had a massive impact on the world as we know it. I think its wrong that they purposefully dont include him due to his henious crimes when so many other leaders have committed equally or even worse crimes, i mean stalin is in the game isnt he.

Also, which frederick is the frederick german leader? Frederick II of Prussia?

Egypt: Amenophis IV (Akhenaten) or, why not, Ptolemy I Soter.
Greece: Themistocles or Leonidas.
Rome: Marcus Aurelius or Gaius Marius.
England: Oliver Cromwell.
Russia/USRR: Trosky.
Inca: Manco Inca or Tupac Amarú.
Aztecs: Izcoatl.
Americans: Teddy Roosvelt.
Babylon: Burnaburiash II.
Spain: Charles I.

And, in the (unlikely) case any of these civs are included:

Brazil: Pedro II.
Hittites: Hattusili.
Gran Colombia: Simon Bolivar.

I really, really want to see Marius and Themistocles make it into the game... they were such great leaders, but are constantly overshadowed by more prominent figures like Alexander, Pericles, Caesar and Augutus.

Id like to see Hitler as a leader for germany. I mean i know its controversial, but for civ4 our unique unit was the panzer and we got assembly plants as buildings. And while it is for all the wrong reasons hitler is the most well known german leader, and he had a massive impact on the world as we know it. I think its wrong that they purposefully dont include him due to his henious crimes when so many other leaders have committed equally or even worse crimes, i mean stalin is in the game isnt he.

Yeah, and Mao, and Gengis... but Hitler is still somewhat of a taboo... we don't need bad media attention and controversy around Civ V..

Besides, there are numerous great german leaders apart from him.

marius would be a nice addition for rome, but chances are he won't be in there because it was still a republic. and dom pedro ii sounds too much like peter, so manuel deodoro is probably more likely for brazil, if it's in an expansion.

Yeah, and Mao, and Gengis... but Hitler is still somewhat of a taboo... we don't need bad media attention and controversy around Civ V..
Im pretty sure the average civ player is level headed enough to understand, was rather hoping the rest of the world would be too :p I mean im german and i wouldnt mind in the slightest, but i guess we just have to let some things go

Besides, there are numerous great german leaders apart from him.

Cant argue with that

Sulla is nowhere near a great leader. If people are claiming that C. Julius Caesar ain't good enough, then Sulla should never even be considered, as he simply isn't in the same league.

I'll try and stick with Civs that have been in before (so no Ashurbanipal II for Assyria):

Ancient:
Rome - Marcus Aurelius, Constantine, Scipio Africanus, or Marius (tried to pick a good variety of Republic and Imperial figures)
Babylon - Nebuchadnezzar (while the Chaldeans aren't the Babylonians we'd normally think of for classical Babylonia, he's certainly a famous historical figure).
Celts - Vercingetorix (I'd probably stick with Brennus, but, if we had to pick somebody new, he'd be a good choice).

Western:
America - Thomas Jefferson or Theodore Roosevelt (I think if the President appeared on Mount Rushmore, he would be a good choice).
Spain - King Charles I (Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor. Equally German, but the new world empire he owned is associated with Spain).
Scandinavia (yeah, Vikings in some games, but I'm trying to broaden them from their pagan roots) - Gustavus Adolfus (very important King for Sweden, associated with the 30 Years War)
Ottomans/Turks - Ataturk (similar to the Scandinavians, it depends on how broadly you classify them).

Eastern:
Japan - Meiji (the Meiji restoration was an important time for Japan and gives them more representation than feudal Japan)
Korea - Sejong (another important Korean leader, probably more important than Wang Kong)

Scipio Africanus was a famous general of the Roman republic. He wasn't a world leader in any sense.

Egypt: Ptolemaeus I,
India: Akbar
China: One of the Ming emperors
Greece: Solon, Pyrrhus
Persia: ???
Rome: Trajanus, Hadrianus, Constantinus, Scipio Africanus
Japan: Meiji
Ethiopia: Haile Selassie
Arabia: ???
Spain: Carlos I, El Cid
France: Napoleon III, the Louis that went on the crusades
Britain: William the Conqueror, George III/IV
Germany: Barbarossa
Russia: Cruschchov, Ivan the Terrible
Inca: ???
Mongols: Ogodei Khan, Guyuk Khan, Timur
Turkey: Ataturk
America: Thomas Jefferson

How was George IV a remotely good or defining leader of the UK? There are so many better choices than him. I'll give you his father, simply because of his extremely long reign and historical importance to a group of trans-Atlantic rebels :)

Apenpaap, you couldn't really call England "Britain" if William the Conqueror were leader (nor Elizabeth I for that matter), just like you couldn't have Peter the Great as leader of the USSR (even though you could have Stalin as leader of Russia and Churchill as England!).

I picked George IV mainly for the era he represents. And IMO British Empire is a more approppriate name then English Empire.

George III would be a far better representative of the Georgian era. After all, Queen Victoria came to the throne not seven years after George IV died.

Top Bottom