[NFP] Portugal is the last NFP Civilization confirmed. Also... Zombies??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean Bean isn't that bad of a narrator
Sean Bean's an excellent actor, but I feel like his narration is kind of...middling, even disregarding the mispronunciations. It's not bad, but it's not great.

I prefer Potato and CivShow as it comes to Civ-related content on YT. But the more the better, especially if one of us is mentioned there ;)
A fellow Spuddie!
Sean Bean's an excellent actor, but I feel like his narration is kind of...middling, even disregarding the mispronunciations. It's not bad, but it's not great.
Sad to say that's true. It's almost like he dies even when he narrates...

Anyway, away from Sean Bean and off-topic stuff, let's talk about Joao III specifically. What was his legacy, what did he do to merit his inclusion? Let's discuss that.

Last edited:
I'm ok with that. Should genocide be in the game, since it was used to eliminate huge numbers of people that leaders deemed to be "enemies?" I say no.

Just because some aspect of history is important does not make it appropriate for a historical-themed game.

What the hell do you think razing a city means? I mean there are background screams and stuff as an audio cue.

What happens when you “disperse” a barbarian camp?

Slavery being a no no but genocide OK Because Reasons just shows how divorced from reality political discourse has become, they are both horrible crimes but are both historical things that happened.

If you object to one being in the game you should logically object to both.

There is zero chance of slavery being a game mechanic in the current sad state of affairs where you can’t even give barbarian clans historic names

Slavery in general as a game mechanic is - already in Civ 6. It's what Monty's Eagle Warriors are doing to their defeated enemies (when they become builders). He literally says "Do you want your people taken as slaves?"

Slavery in general as a game mechanic is - already in Civ 6. It's what Monty's Eagle Warriors are doing to their defeated enemies (when they become builders). He literally says "Do you want your people taken as slaves?"

I just fine it silly when people object to slavery in a game that features several flavours of outright genocide

This is very OT so I’m dropping it here

"Do you want your people taken as slaves?"

Imagine Monty in a restaurant. He orders his food but then sees someone else's meal, and it looks really good.

"You have much that I do not! Do you want to see your people taken as slaves?!"

Probably gets some awkward looks from that family.

Last edited:
Imagine Monty in a restaurant. He orders his food but then sees someone else's meal, and it looks really good.

While Catherine orders the same meal over and over. :lol:

Hmm I wonder how the leader/civ ability will affect Portugal's economics. At least one of them will HAVE to be economic if not both...I'm really hoping the devs don't give some lame passive bonus to trade routes (I.e. More gold, adding faith, extending them). I would rather give them some ability to generate more trade route slots-that's more powerful and interesting. A simple one would just be giving them the ability to gain +2 trade routes from a lighthouse and market in the city. Or if they really wanted to go nuts they could have some way of doubling yields of trade routes (Like to city-states). With Kumasi and policy cards that'd be fun XD. But yeah something like that would "spice" up gameplay more than just "trade routes get extra gold for having more luxuries" like so many other civs.

I also reeeeally don't want them to add in any religious bonuses-that's Spain's role. Keep Portugal rich+explorative and Spain religious+dominationy.

I'm really hoping the devs don't give some lame passive bonus to trade routes (I.e. More gold, adding faith, extending them)

Same here. I am kind of baffled by how many lame "extra yields on trade routes" abilities we have.

Wilhelmina, Peter, Spain, Persia, and Cleopatra.

The only one I'll excuse is the Incan Ability, since it's actually very impactful and has a noticeable effect on how you play.

The other ones are just so passive and unnoticeable they bore me.

Same here. I am kind of baffled by how many lame "extra yields on trade routes" abilities we have.

The only one I'll excuse is the Incan Ability, since it's actually very impactful and has a noticeable effect on how you play.

Yeah and given how important economics and trade were to Portugal, it'd be a crime to be so lazy with their ability. Especially since this, in all likelihood, will be the last new for civ vi (Unless they do a one-off pack as discussed). Go out with a bang!

Now I'm imagining Catherine stealing the breadsticks from everyone else's table
While Mansa Musa decides to pay for everyone. :mischief:

Here are some things that I've seen on other threads, and I've come up with my own, to make them more exciting:
Wilhelmina: Radio Oranje- Maybe make the yields better once you research Radio? Maybe Writing, Recorded History and Printing as well considering those are all forms of communication.
Peter: Maybe add in an ability where if you send a delegation or establish an embassy with another civilization you get an eureka or inspiration for techs or civics they have that you don't.
Spain: Not sure how to change it considering it might overlap with Portugal.
Persia: I'd make the yields for culture and gold go up for domestic trade routes if the origin city has a governor established. You know because Satraps are governors. :)
Cleopatra: I guess this ability is fine. Not sure what else to give her off the top of my head. Maybe the other civilization gets more gold and food if they have a larger army playing into her agenda?

While Mansa Musa decides to pay for everyone. :mischief:

Here are some things that I've seen on other threads, and I've come up with my own, to make them more exciting:
Wilhelmina: Radio Oranje- Maybe make the yields better once you research Radio? Maybe Writing, Recorded History and Printing as well considering those are all forms of communication.
Peter: Maybe add in an ability where if you send a delegation or establish an embassy with another civilization you get an eureka or inspiration for techs or civics they have that you don't.
Spain: Not sure how to change it considering it might overlap with Portugal.
Persia: I'd make the yields for culture and gold go up for domestic trade routes if the origin city has a governor established. You know because Satraps are governors. :)
Cleopatra: I guess this ability is fine. Not sure what else to give her off the top of my head. Maybe the other civilization gets more gold and food if they have a larger army playing into her agenda?

I think Spain needs to fully embrace the religious/dom playstyle-especailly now that Portugal is in. And in that vein, they should drop/radically change the Treasure Fleets ability a'la England (And they could do it in the April patch). I think they can keep their armadas bonus (It's barely significant to gameplay anyways) and just add in more combat bonuses for units/cities on different continents. Just spitballing but that's the direction that Spain could play in-leaving room for Portugal to get all the economic bonuses.

I like the Persia buff. They're already strong in general (And one of my fav civs to play lol) but that makes sense. I also think that the Netherlands needs something better for the leader ability as it's probably the worst in the game currently. Tbh, maybe just give them +8 loyalty for a city if a trade route is in progress-allows them to play more colonially and helps them keep cities with aggressive neighbors. For Peter, just give him a one-time additional eureka or inspiration when establishing a trade route in a civ with a embassy. I like that one.

We already know Portugal will be very gold-focused civ (due to trade routes), but in victory-leaning strategy, what bonuses do you think this civ will have? Bonus on faith, or something related to religious victory?

I won't be surprised if Faith is part of João III's LUA, since that was part of his personality and legacy, but I agree that it's unnecessary for Portugal to work as it ideally would in my mind - as a trade/diplomacy/naval civ. One of the things that was cool about Portugal in Civ5 was how, despite having no military bonus at all, their economics felt "aggressive." More than that, their economic bonuses, while worth it, took work - you had to get someone over to the city state, before the tile you needed was gone, and that was always a bit of a risk, and the Nau needed to travel to the other side of the world in order to get the best windfall.

I don't want this to be a copy of what we saw in the last game, but that kind of effort-reward would be very welcome.

We already know Portugal will be very gold-focused civ (due to trade routes), but in victory-leaning strategy, what bonuses do you think this civ will have? Bonus on faith, or something related to religious victory?

I reeeeeeally hope the devs don't lean into religion when Spain is RIGHT THERE and in need of help. If anything, a diplomatic direction would be best with some way to buy envoys. But I don't think that they necessarily need to have that much of a direction if their bonuses are good enough. Mali is another real good example of a civ that can pull off multiple victories (Diplomatic, cultural, religious) with their unique bonuses alone. Portugal can fill a similar niche hopefully.

I won't be surprised if Faith is part of João III's LUA, since that was part of his personality and legacy, but I agree that it's unnecessary for Portugal to work as it ideally would in my mind - as a trade/diplomacy/naval civ. One of the things that was cool about Portugal in Civ5 was how, despite having no military bonus at all, their economics felt "aggressive." More than that, their economic bonuses, while worth it, took work - you had to get someone over to the city state, before the tile you needed was gone, and that was always a bit of a risk, and the Nau needed to travel to the other side of the world in order to get the best windfall.

I don't want this to be a copy of what we saw in the last game, but that kind of effort-reward would be very welcome.

While I also wouldn't be surprised if there's some faith part of Joao's LA, I kind of doubt it too. I feel it'd be so much easier to focus on the relations with Asia, or the whole "Grocer King" schtick. And it'd make for a more complete/focused civ. Given how synergized recent civs have been (GC, Byzantium, Ethiopia) I think they're more likely to go in a synergistic direction over a purely historical one. Plus, 99% of past leaders were known for being super devout and not all of them have religious based abilities...

While I also wouldn't be surprised if there's some faith part of Joao's LA, I kind of doubt it too. I feel it'd be so much easier to focus on the relations with Asia, or the whole "Grocer King" schtick. And it'd make for a more complete/focused civ. Given how synergized recent civs have been (GC, Byzantium, Ethiopia) I think they're more likely to go in a synergistic direction over a purely historical one. Plus, 99% of past leaders were known for being super devout and not all of them have religious based abilities...
I think if he gets the luxury/trading ability, which he should, then the Civ ability should lean into the exploration bonuses making them different than Spain. I agree that there is no need for religious bonuses when people are already saying that Spain already had the niche covered in the game.

Probably gets some awkward looks from that family.

I read “Monty” as shorthand for Field Marshal Montgomery and was momentarily confused on many levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom