Resource icon

Promotion Flags EUI for VP v3

Since I've now updated Promotion Flags EUI to the latest VP and added some functionality (and akamal is absent for more than a year) I'll post this in a separate thread here so people can find it more easily:

Based on the great work by akamal, who integrated Thal's Promotion Flags with bc1's EUI in his old version and is now unfortunately absent from the forum since last year, I present to you an updated, fully VP compatible and improved version of Promotion Flags EUI!

Changes include:
  • updated to latest VP version, which includes bug fixes for health bars
  • completely reworked the promotion icons such that it now uses the same ones as base VP (from 7a, which is now a dependency)
  • completely reworked promotion grouping and ordering
  • updated / added compatibility with MUC4VP, EEVP, UCS and others
  • cleaned up some code and fixed some bugs
  • added functionality to use the triangle fallback consistently above the Unit Flag and in the Unit Panel to avoid confusion
  • added functionality to allow the user to scroll the horizontal line of promotion icons in the bottom left Unit Panel if that line is long enough to partially disappear behind the Unit Portrait (easier for associating promotion icons with their name and function for those units); included a special version of this for the "small UI" option. To use this just scroll with your mouse wheel while mousing over that line if it is too long (sorry, no scroll bars due to very limited space; you need a mouse wheel)

But what does this mod do?
This:
PFEUIVP.jpg

(Displays small 16x16 pixel promotion icons above unit flags on the map so you can more easily keep track of specialized units and for better overview of the battlefield; version 3 pic coming soon)

It also retains the previous benefits, of course:
  • Safe to add to, or remove from, in-progress games
  • Up to 13 promotion icons per unit (configurable)
  • Promotion icons in the Unit Panel and above the Unit Flag stack for multiple ranks of the same promotion (eg: Drill1\2\3\4)
  • Will use the yellow triangle for promotions where no 16x16px icons is present (eg: for promotions added by mods, or where a mod has changing an existing icon without providing a 16x16px version)
There are a few settings which can be configured by editing PromoFlags_Settings.lua (defaults shown in bold):
  • ShowUnitFreePromos (true|false) - Show icons for promotions that a unit always gets for free, eg: promotions that provide UU's special abilities
  • ShowLeaderTraitPromos (true|false) - Show icons for promotions given by Leader Traits
  • ShowForPlayer (true|false) - Show icons for the active player's units
  • ShowForOthers (true|false) - Show icons for ai units
  • ShowUnitTypeInUnitPanel (true|false) - Show unit type in the UnitPanel for units that have been renamed
  • MaxPromosToShow (1-13) - Maximum number of Promotion icons for each unit
  • Debug (true|false) - Show Promotion Keys in tooltips, and log debug info to firetuner and lua.log
If you don't like the little promotion icons above the Unit Flags but want the considerable improvements to the promotion row in the Unit Panel you can simply replace all instances of "true" in the settings file with "false"; this will also mean that the mod uses barely any extra memory.

As with the original Flag Promotions, this mod will increase memory usage (although it should be less than the original), so it may increase the chance of CTDs late game. This is especially true if used alongside other graphics mods (eg: Hires textures, RED, Ethnic Diversity, etc). Memory usage can be reduced by setting MaxPromosToShow to a lower value, or disabling promotion icons for non-player units.

To install: quit the game, download and unzip the archive into your MODS folder (find it in C:\Users\your_username\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS) and delete the contents of the "cache" folder (find it in the same folder as the MODS folder).
Note: Civ 5 + all extensions + Vox Populi (full EUI, VP version from April 2019 or later) are required to run this.

You can get it here:

Download from Civfanatics

Use this thread for issues / comments / feedback.

Last edited:
Amazing work on updating these (essential) mods. You've managed to address all the small nitpicks I've had for ages, like scrolling icons for the bottom left unit screen, bugged health bars, CS quest icon for TR in the menu, etc.

The bug fixes for health bars, does that mean it helps address the various issues with health granting promotions like dreadnought?

The bug fixes for health bars, does that mean it helps address the various issues with health granting promotions like dreadnought?
It should, yes, but all I did regarding Health Bars was integrate all the VP changes and fixes for them, so it could be that there are still bugs out there messing them up...if you find any like that it's probably best to post to VP's Github since it should now behave exactly as VP in this aspect...I'll probably see it on Github anyway so I can react, too, but PFEUI doesn't really change anything Health Bar wise; it was simply updated to the latest VP in that regard.

It should, yes, but all I did regarding Health Bars was integrate all the VP changes and fixes for them, so it could be that there are still bugs out there messing them up...if you find any like that it's probably best to post to VP's Github since it should now behave exactly as VP in this aspect...I'll probably see it on Github anyway so I can react, too, but PFEUI doesn't really change anything Health Bar wise; it was simply updated to the latest VP in that regard.
There are still ongoing changes being made to EUI. Will any of this be incorporated in the soon future with regards to the mod-mods?

There are still ongoing changes being made to EUI. Will any of this be incorporated in the soon future with regards to the mod-mods?
EUI update for VP is not my domain; I will stick with the EUI version VP uses...if it is updated in the future and I have time I'll take a look at some mod-mod updates for the new EUI in VP then.

civplayer33 updated Promotion Flags EUI for VP with a new update entry:

Update to version 3

This update includes the following:
  • fixed bug that broke automatic grouping in certain cases
  • fixed bug that prevented tool tip simplification
  • completely reworked promotion grouping and promotion ordering; promotions should now be displayed usefully and consistently in most cases with almost no random ordering and a lot more grouping
  • updated / added compatibility with EEVP, MUC4VP, UCS and others
Note: this mod is useful even if you don't want the little icons...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I'm having the same issue with this as I'm having with Capture Great People for VP. Even though I have all dependencies required, the game is still telling me that I'm missing dependencies. Anyone else having this issue?

Same here. Full VP installed with no other mods. 7-29-1 from the official download site (not a beta version)

Not allowing me to turn on the mod in the mod menu, saying missing dependencies.
Any unit with any combat experience right now has too many promotions for the unit panel, and there is no scroll so the only way to check promotions is to use mouse hover tooltips which is a pain in the ass and time consuming...

Attachments

• 8930_20200517122947_1.png
    8930_20200517122947_1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 413
where exactly do you extract this zip file? i tried unzipping the folder into the /MODS folder with all the other mods, its shows up in the mod list but the promotion icons still dont show on top of the units (like in the screenshot) during the game.

the promotion icons still dont show on top of the units
To install: quit the game, download and unzip the archive into your MODS folder (find it in C:\Users\your_username\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS) and delete the contents of the "cache" folder.
Note: Civ 5 + all extensions + Vox Populi (full EUI, VP version from April 2019 or later) are required to run this.

To install: quit the game, download and unzip the archive into your MODS folder (find it in C:\Users\your_username\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS) and delete the contents of the "cache" folder.

Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS <<<thats where i put it, it lets me activate mod from the mod screen in game but the promotion icons still doesnt show up in game for me.
modsfolder.jpg

still doesnt show up
Weird. It works for me and millions VP players on Earth :crazyeye:

In this case, I advise you to be radical.

- Delete and reinstall Civ5 all extensions + Vox Populi (EUI)
- Reload Promotion Flags EUI for VP v3
- Copy only Promotion Flags EUI for VP v3 in your Mod folder

And tell me that it works now.

EDIT:
"Toft's flag and religion icons" is maybe the problem...

EDIT2:
"Improved Air recon v1" is obsolete with VP. Kill it!
Red Modpack v27 + Ethnic Units v31 !? Have a look at Dolen2's Ethnic Diversity instead
7fdd..... v31 ! What is that?
Pace Mod v3 is very risky IMO.

Last edited:
ill delete these and try it out later to see if it works...the 7fdd has same stuff as the ethnic units v31...that folder poped up after i start a game.

Top Bottom