1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Socrates-

Socrates- Warlord

Hey Guys,

Just started playing this awesome game again and was pleasantly surprised to discover it still has such an active community!

Opening a new topic on this personal 'return to CIV-IV' seemed a bit too much, so just wanted to share my enthusiasm by replying to (what seems to be) the most active topic.

Huge shout-out to all the previous replies containing a lot of useful information.

Cheers,

2. Scandal

Scandal Chieftain

Is there any way to turn on notifications about civs getting eliminated. I remember in Alpha Centauri and Civ3 there were pop ups, but here I don't see anything.
    If no is there a mod for that?

3. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

I use BUG mod, and I get a message that scrolls on the top of the screen with the rest of the messages.

4. salty mud

salty mud Deity

When I trade with an AI for a resource I don't have, the trade tip says it will give me either food, hammer or commerce. For example, if I trade with an AI and they give me fish which I don't have, it will apparently give me +1 :food:. What does this mean? Do all my cities gain +1 :food:?

If I trade for incense and it gives +1 :commerce:, do all my cities gain 1 :commerce:?

5. ztrapon

ztrapon Chieftain

No you only receive the Happiness or Health, and of course access to the resource itself.

If you look closer, I'm pretty sure what you're reading is the plot yields from the resource in question. But when traded, you only receive the resource itself, not the yield from its tiles.

Every resource has 3 bonuses (using Gold in this example):

1) Plot yield.
    Gold gives the tile +1 commerce, whether improved or not.

2) Improvement bonus
    An additional bonus from the corresponding tile improvement. Building a Mine on Gold gives the tile +6 commerce/+1 production.
    If you construct a Windmill instead, you still get the plot yield (+1 commerce), but not the improvement bonus.

3) Resource itself
    Gold gives +1 happiness, another when building a Forge, and speeds up Shwedagon Paya. If you trade it away, you still receive bonus 1) and 2), but you lose access to the resource, unless you have a surplus.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  6. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

To be fair, the plot yield bonus is also shown when hovering over a resource in the city screen, even if you are importing it.

7. ztrapon

ztrapon Chieftain

Hence his confusion, I'm assuming. But like I said, look closer and it clearly says "on plot".

8. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Although not a CIV newbie question, I have a Xenofor newbie question:

Ever since the Xenofor system replace the older one, I have not been able to figure out how to post a "Spoiler". In the old system one just highlighted the relevant part of the post and clicked the Spoiler icon. I can't find such an icon in Xenofor. How does one do it?

9. Samson

Samson Deity

There is an "Insert..." icon in the toolbar above the text box. Selecting this gives a dropdown that includes spoiler.

10. Fish Man

Fish Man Emperor

Keshiks get one free first strike...do they also lose immunity to first strikes? Or is it one free first strike on top of immunity to first strikes (which isn't stated in their unit description, BTW)?

11. s.bernbaum

Thanks! It never occurred to me that the insert icon was a drop down menu.

12. s.bernbaum

Units that have a free strike are immune to strikes no matter what type of unit and no matter whether it is inherent or a promotion. Basically, a unit with a free strike attacking a unit with a free strike results in neither unit having a free strike, since there is no way of choosing which one would get the first strike. So, the Keshik's free strike is on top of the immunity to first strikes but does not work against other units that have a free strike.

13. millahnna

millahnna Mouse

I'm struggling to figure out an appropriate place to post this question as my searches of the forum are turning up nada and I'm not positive if this is a core game dysfunction or a mod/mod comp problem. I've been away from this game long enough that I feel like a newb. Can I get some advice on where to go ask this:

I'm recently returning to civ 4 (again, it's my goto when I'm between newer games) and trying to figure out if an oddity I've bumped into is a bug and if so if it's a core game bug or related to Legends of Revolution. My capital got reduced to size 0 in an early war via bombardment. After I smacked down the attacking civ, my defenses went back up to their full capacity but the city still isn't growing; I've been stuck at size 0 for 10 or 20 turns at least. I've gone into city management and cannot select any of the tiles to be worked. They are within my territory. My city is not in revolt. Ideas?

14. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

millahnna, only thing I can think of is check the buttons in the lower right of the city screen. You may have accidentally clicked the "avoid growth" button. Also, if you have the city governor button on while "avoid growth" is on, then it might muck up citizens as the governor seeks to minimize food. So maybe that why you are having issues with the citizens. But regardless, you will not grow with the "avoid growth" button on.

I don't recall anything LoR specific that would othewise do what you are describing unless you encountered a BUG or something.

Besides those buttons, I encourage you to analyze the city screen more closely. Not the food and production bars and how they relate to your yields and growth. Great info for this strategy game and micro-ing cities.

Oh.and don't let the enemy get to your cap like that...ha

Culture has nothing to do with growth (well, indirectly when you need to expand to second ring of BFC to reach more tiles/resources)

millahnna likes this.
  15. millahnna

millahnna Mouse

THanks for getting back to me. Was definitely able to confirm my governor buttons were not on avoid growth. It was early game so my capital was my only city. Barbarian world option combined with minor civs option is a beast, man. Eventually I was able to get a second city and I let Viet Nam take my capital and then took it back. Things went back to normal after that. I kept a save of what I'm now calling "The Borkening" though. SO I can go poke around at it and double check that I didn't misclick anything in there. I've seen some wacky stuff in this game over the years (been playing since launch off and on) but this was a wholly new one on me.

16. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Could you post a picture so we can see exactly what's happening?

17. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Yeah, I should note that I get confused sometimes between the many mods I've played. Is LoR one of the mods that lets you start like thousands of years earlier than normal, with an extended early techpath? If I recall, growth is very slow if you play that option...at least early on.

18. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Well, your city is size zero, you say. I believe that is impossible in normal Beyond the Sword, though I am not sure, nor do I know why or how certain mods can cause this behaviour (perhaps by automatically drafting defenders? I do not know). Size zero means zero citizens; you only have your city tile. One citizen requires two food - which, I believe, is the base yield of a city tile. So in theory, your city should still grow. Perhaps there are modifiers, reducing your food? Or perhaps a city inherently needs three food to grow, that a city is always treated as if having one citizen (that requires two food) even if it hasn't?

19. millahnna

millahnna Mouse

Ah sorry I just saw your reply, salty. Unfortunately, I don't have the save anymore now so I can't screen shot it. Triple checked on "no growth" in my city screen and no joy. Weirdest thing. If I bump into it again, I'll report back. First time I've ever seen anything like it.

20. ArchGhost

ArchGhost Prince

Is there a way to disable World Builder in game? Or maybe by modifying an XML? It's not part of the cheats, right?

Been moving up in difficulty lately and getting screwed by the AI doing what the AI does (like beat me to a settling spot by 1-2 turns, Finish a wonder they still didn't even have a tech for more than halfway through me building it, the smallest vassaled AI running away with the tech lead by a mile, etc) more often on the better difficulties makes it too difficult for me to stay away from WB to "right" the "wrongs" :p

I need to have these mistakes forced on me so I can learn how to avoid or circumvent them, World Builder makes it too easy to avoid the "next time..." mantra. I've already turned "random seed on reload" back off.