Random Rants ΟΔ: broken record

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hungarian right are super anti-Semitic, though, is the thing. Both Jobbik and Orban's mob.

I'm genuinely interested in some evidence for the latter. Not 'the Guardian says so' evidence, directly sourced material.

Issue seems to be that Mouthwash is prepared to identify the guys in brown uniforms as anti-Semitic, but not the pro-Israel strongmen, so he's allowing himself to read significances into this horrible proposal that aren't really, y'know, there.

They're antisemitic in effect. Just like denying special social/economic programs to black people might be called racist, even if no one's intention was actually racist.

This springs naturally from the pretense that antisemitism is a core element of Fascism. Fascism foments and uses fear and hatred of "the other" to build commonality and excuse its excesses. Because Nazi Germany chose the Jews as their "other" and they are the most famous fascists the pretense is superficially reasonable, and modern fascists are constantly obfuscating with "but I never said anything against the Jews" as if whoever pointed out their fascism had called them antisemitic instead. The absurdity is best illustrated by Israelis, who whip up fear and hatred of Palestinians as the foundation of their society and justification for their government being the world's most prolific terrorist state, but will scoff at any observations about fascism with a resounding belly laugh and "we can't be fascists, we're Jews."

Hey, guess who sees things your way?

I didn't realize you had such a high opinion of Hungarian Nazis.

Well, a broken clock can still be right twice a day.

I didn't realize you had such a high opinion of Hungarian Nazis.

I take it that's who you linked? If they are actually pointing out the fascist state of Israel then they happen to be right in that instance. Being Hungarian Nazis should not be assumed to make them blind to all reality. But they are more likely using Jews as the foil for their own fascism, just like Israel's ruling party uses Palestinians, in which case their observation, while accurate, could be accurate by accident and just motivated by their own political purpose.

That has no bearing on the fact that any rational person who observes the state of Israel can and usually will conclude that they are equally fascist and have just substituted Palestinians for Jews as the necessary foil to make it work.

EDIT: Wow, tl;dr, @choxorn was far more concise.

I don't know how I did it (clumsy drag-and-drop, I think) but I just accidentally mixed up a couple thousand music files into a single folder.. At least they're all properly tagged so I should be able to get them into the right folders again. I'm good at breaking things.

Don't you have an undo option in Windows?

Often there is, but not whatever I did. It wasn't really any effort to put everything back, though. There's a number of programs that can do it. (I used TagScanner.) Still, I'm an idiot.

Moderator Action: I think we've heard enough of the anti-semitism/fascist Jewish state discussion, please. While it may be a valid topic, it's probably better if it has its own thread. This is the rants thread. I will caution anyone who starts an anti-semitism/fascist Jewish state thread that it will be moderated carefully and rigorously. Now back to ranting, please.

Unrelated rant, usually I find British royal wedding coverage irritating, but this time round I've just found it baffling. I genuinely didn't know we had a "Princess Eugenie", or that there was some sort of wedding in the works until it was already happening. Do they just keep a supply of spare Hanoverians in storage for slow news days?
She's the younger daughter of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson. She's the one who didn't wear the worst hat on the planet to William and Kate's wedding.

Andrew's daughters don't do much as far as royal duties are concerned, so the public doesn't hear much about them. At least until this wedding was announced. It was supposed to be earlier in the year but they were pretty much told (as I understand it) that Harry's wedding was more important so they should postpone it.

Still, I'm an idiot.
No, you are not. This is just an accident that lots of people have to deal with. Mistakes are easy to make. But at least you know how to fix them.

Often there is, but not whatever I did. It wasn't really any effort to put everything back, though. There's a number of programs that can do it. (I used TagScanner.)
Problem solved!
aimeeandbeatles said:
Still, I'm an idiot.
We live and learn. Don't just dismiss yourself because you are ‘an idiot’. There's plenty enough of people who are going to dismiss you for whatever reason they can find that you doing the same would be counterproductive.

Even you discount Andorra and the Vatican (neither of which are hereditary), there are still ten monarchies left in Europe.

Let me guess: Sweden, Norway, Denmark, UK, Netgerlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Spain, Monaco, and Liechtenstein.

My fatigue-addled brain read this as Andoria and Vulcan. :think:
Vulcan is only a monarchy if you go by the nonsensical garbage William Shatner, et. al wrote for the Star Trek V script.

I'd have semi-vaguely gone along with Sarek's first marriage being to a Vulcan priestess, rather than a princess. Up to that point there was never the slightest indication that Vulcan was a monarchy.

A bunch of crows formed a murder and committed a murder on one of their own. They tore it apart.

So naturally the landlord tasked me with cleaning up the remains because she was "afraid". The crows became very angry with me when I did so.

I am assuming they will now all collectively attack me on sight. That should be fun. But also a little confusing, because they are the ones who killed it. I'm just cleaning up their mess.

It wasn't a murder, it was a sacrifice to the Dark One. You interrupted their ritual before its completion and have ruined their plans for the week.

It wasn't a murder, it was a sacrifice to the Dark One. You interrupted their ritual before its completion and have ruined their plans for the week.

There is surprisingly little documentation on the internet about repairing relationships with crows after you have cleaned up the results of their murderous tendencies.

I'm wondering if I can feed them into complacency. Having the one crow who took nesting a little too seriously constantly swoop and claw for months was annoying but solved itself. 20+ crows who see me as a meddler in their murdering ways will be problematic.

There is surprisingly little documentation on the internet about repairing relationships with crows after you have cleaned up the results of their murderous tendencies.

I'm wondering if I can feed them into complacency. Having the one crow who took nesting a little too seriously constantly swoop and claw for months was annoying but solved itself. 20+ crows who see me as a meddler in their murdering ways will be problematic.

Well, they probably planned to eat that mess you cleaned up, or at least eat whatever came along planning to eat it. Perhaps if you provided replacement food?

Even you discount Andorra and the Vatican (neither of which are hereditary), there are still ten monarchies left in Europe.
Well, Andorra is also in the club, kinda-sorta, because since 1871, one of the two Princes has been the President of France, and the President of France from 1873 to 1879 was Patrice de MacMahon, a descendant of the Dál gCais dynasty, whose most famous member was ya boy Brian of Munster.

I don't know if there have been any Boru-descended Popes, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom