Random Rants 76: Argh! Augh! Ahhh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snerk!! :) Yes we certainly did notice your absence!

Welcome back!

(Villagers of CFC do an ethnic dance for you)
But we don't dance.

The usage here that started the conversation was in reference to a monitor. An old car will eventually give up the ghost. Old appliances, not so old computers and peripherals; even a tired argument might give up the ghost. I don't think I've ever heard of a person dying being referred to as 'gave up the ghost.' Maybe if it comes after a long battle with cancer or something.

But I'm sure that no one, anywhere, is going to say that LM's old monitor is pushing up daisies or swimming with the fishes, though kicked the bucket is a possibility.
Yeah, maybe you're right. (Despite my earlier N.O.)

Is that an actual English idiom?
(just asking; because this is also how we say it in German, but totally doesn't sound like something I'd try to translate)
I think it is a Greek idiom that got translated into many different languages because of its use in the New Testament.

Well, those are usually assigned to people. Gave up the ghost is usually said in reference to a machine of some sort, at least in my experience.
Yeah, I tend to use it in reference to technology or machinery that is beyond repair.

Giving up the ghost?
*goes to Wiktionary*

Etymology
Attested since the Old English period.

Verb
give up the ghost (third-person singular simple present gives up the ghost, present participle giving up the ghost, simple past gave up the ghost, past participle given up the ghost)

1. (intransitive, idiomatic) To cease clinging to life; to die. intransitive, idiomatic, figuratively) To quit; to cease functioning.
    My old computer finally gave up the ghost the other day.
  2. (intransitive, with of) To cede a commitment to or identification with.

(entry here)

I suspect that means it is attested since the first Old English translations of the New Testament were made.

Is that an actual English idiom?
(just asking; because this is also how we say it in German, but totally doesn't sound like something I'd try to translate)
It is. I've heard it since I was a young girl in Ireland. It's here in Canada too.

I can only echo J's sentiment.
It's an extremely common idiom in German; and had you made me guess i wouldn't have known that it exists in English.
Well, evidently it does. :)

I was too tired to cook and ordered delivery.

Two hours later I'm sitting here hungry and mad, not understanding what is taking this Chinese place so long. Then I remembered it's Valentine's Day. D'oh!

I can only echo J's sentiment.
It's an extremely common idiom in German; and had you made me guess i wouldn't have known that it exists in English.
Well, evidently it does. :)
Please tell me that it's not something ridiculously literal e.g. ‘giben auf der geist’.

I was too tired to cook and ordered delivery.

Two hours later I'm sitting here hungry and mad, not understanding what is taking this Chinese place so long. Then I remembered it's Valentine's Day. D'oh!
That's why I always maintain a stash of frozen pizza or frozen burritos.

(Either that, or -- with no disrespect intended to @aimeeandbeatles -- I'm starting to develop some kind of neuro/muscular problem myself)

One of the first symptoms that I actually noticed (aside from my foot, but I thought that was just a weird cramp) was my keyboard and mouse movements becoming a bunch more clumsy than usual. I just kinda brushed it aside for a while, and then the tremours started up.

I suspect that means it is attested since the first Old English translations of the New Testament were made.
There's no further explanation in that page.
That's why I always maintain a stash of frozen pizza or frozen burritos.
Why ‘or’?
One of the first symptoms that I actually noticed (aside from my foot, but I thought that was just a weird cramp) was my keyboard and mouse movements becoming a bunch more clumsy than usual. I just kinda brushed it aside for a while, and then the tremours started up.
Yes, problems with fine motor skills (typing, writing, drawing) are one of the early signs.

I have been banned yet again from commenting on Breitbarf.

Yes, problems with fine motor skills (typing, writing, drawing) are one of the early signs.

There's also quite a few early non-motor symptoms, such as sleep disturbances and, uh, bowel problems.

Rant: It was really nice of one social agency to bother telling me that they transferred my file to another agency that doesn't know wtf is going on. I just love having people show up unexpectedly, telling me they've come for some reason that has nothing to do with me and I have to start explaining things from the beginning.

Kinda like the nurses in the hospital who started spouting polysyllabic medical jargon at me and getting upset when I told them I had no idea what they were talking about. They're supposed to read the patients' labels (aka the wrist bands worn), but they didn't bother doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom