Random Rants 79: [Impassionating Intensifies]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously. The last time I had an emergency situation with the kitchen sink and the plumber had to come around 3 am, the security guard had to be here, too.

Apparently plumbers' tools are expensive black-market items. :dunno:
A friend of mine had his truck broken into once, lost a few thousand dollars worth of tools. He adopted a rottweiler. She sits in the truck while he's working, unless it's too hot out.

Robbing a plumber sounds scary. I'd expect to get knocked out with a wrench or pipe or something.
Snerk did it in the kitchen with a wrench.

I just bought stocks (ETF) and I don't know what the hell I'm doing. there is so much information overload, it changes so fast, I'm overwhelmed. I'm just trying to build a safe and diverse portfolio so I can survive the impending market crashes and stuff. god I'm so freakin scared.

I just bought stocks (ETF) and I don't know what the hell I'm doing. there is so much information overload, it changes so fast, I'm overwhelmed. I'm just trying to build a safe and diverse portfolio so I can survive the impending market crashes and stuff. god I'm so freakin scared.

Anything in particular making you think there is an impending market crash?

Anything in particular making you think there is an impending market crash?

no, I'm not thinking that to be honest. it is an old joke I love to tell, sort of a Zizekian joke. I always act like the market crash and the impeding end of capitalism is around the corner. I have called the end of capitalism for more than 12 years now!

it's not being optimistic, it's not being pessimistic.. rather it is wishful thinking ;)

:lol:

How long are you planning to save for? Do you know your goals?

I have my investments with a 30-year plan, and I'm using a directed mutual fund service. You can set your "risk level" (mine's at low) and they'll take care of it for you. I really don't think about it much at all (I just checked, I'm up 7% from my total what I've put in, and that wasn't all at once)

Robbing a plumber sounds scary. I'd expect to get knocked out with a wrench or pipe or something.

I'd think the plumber would eat a Mushroom, grow twice as big, then jump on my head and I'd vanish into nothing.

How long are you planning to save for? Do you know your goals?

I have my investments with a 30-year plan, and I'm using a directed mutual fund service. You can set your "risk level" (mine's at low) and they'll take care of it for you. I really don't think about it much at all (I just checked, I'm up 7% from my total what I've put in, and that wasn't all at once)

planning to save until retirement essentially, so 60+ years since future generations will have me workin 'til im 90. I really didn't want anyone else having control over my investment. I went with a medium risk plan:

roughly 40% of it go into ETF. most of that is MSCI world, others are emerging markets and sustainability.
probably about another 40% will be fixed deposit, so almost entirely safe.
remaining 20% will be call money, so no risk very low reward.

not sure if these words make sense in English, I used dict.cc to translate. In German it is "Festgeld" and "Tagesgeldkonto".

once I have more money I will go with an even riskier investment I recon. for now I wanna be relatively safe.

"safe" means nothing anyway when inflation can kill the worth of anything that isn't literally gold, a goat or a house. I don't think too highly of "saving" money or "no-risk" investments, its clearly bull dung.

Man, a friend of mine had some gummybears laced with some happy plant oil shipped to him but now it seems very likely that it's been intercepted. Now a friend of mine is sad because he wanted those gummybears and there might be a reaction though kinda unlikely. There's been a clear shift in attitude on these matters here as well but if some reactionary goblin on the other end wants to make a fuss, draconian drug laws will allow it. Absolutely nothing is going a friend of mine's way these days.

Last edited:
Man, a friend of mine had some gummybears laced with some happy plant oil shipped to him but now it seems very likely that it's been intercepted. Now a friend of mine is sad because he wanted those gummybears and there might be a reaction though kinda unlikely. There's been a clear shift in attitude on these matters here as well but if some reactionary goblin on the other end wants to make a fuss, draconian drug laws will allow it. Absolutely nothing is going a friend of mine's way these days.

That sucks man. Come through DC sometime and I'll show you happy plants

What kind of plants make you feel happy? I've received flowers in the mail before, as well as oils from eucalyptus, lemongrass, peppermint, etc ... I don't know why your postal service would confiscate your friend's package? I've never put lemongrass oil on candies, but it's really great in tea.

I got passed up for two jobs.

I've decided to lead the interview process by asking what salary is being offered upfront and declining to move forward if they don't offer what I want. I have had a multiple companies royally waste my time lately and I'm sick of burning PTO to travel to them only for them to aggressively low ball. "We will pay you like an intern but we're changing the world so deal with it" is becoming frighteningly common in aerospace now courtesy of Elon Musk. On top of the bad offers, the general rule has been that companies are extremely rude to deal with and discourteous of my time. Multiple times now I've had companies forget about a call-in interview I've re-arranged my schedule to take and other transgressions like that. Taken individually, none of it is a huge deal but it's become a pattern that needed to be broken.

One of the companies that rejected me decided to set up shop in a remote beach town, which is cool, but it's basically like my college town with beaches instead of forests and homeless people instead of meth heads. I was kind of excited at the possibility of living near the beach but it's in the middle of nowhere. They asked me to come up for an interview and I had a feeling they weren't going to be offering enough to get me to move up there and I didn't want to travel up there for a deal that was never going to happen. I asked them what their salary range was and they refused to answer (it's 'competitive', which is code for 'we have free snacks' in my experience). Someone here (redacted for privacy) gave me the excellent advice to just tell them what my minimum to accept was and I did that and it saved me an unnecessary trip as indeed it was outside of their range. Oh and they kept trying to bait and switch the job I was applying for which was extremely annoying. I can look at it as me rejecting them rather than the other way around but it still sucks.

The other job just flat out declined to interview me which sucks and was unexpected.

I recently got the best review of my life from my current manager but the company hasn't really done much to show they want to retain me.

That sucks man. Hang in there, we'll overthrow capitalism by next week at the latest and then you won't have to worry about this crap anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom