Random Rants Eighty-Four: Rants Gone Wild!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I freeze at 0C, like water :)
Wimp.

Here's a screenshot of the latest weather report from CBC.ca:

red-deer-weather-jan.15.3am.png

And that is why he's the richest person in the world.

Since the turn of the year, Amazon has started playing ads before movies and shows.

Why am I paying to be shown ads? Why am I paying to be shown ads on Amazon, the owner of which is the richest person in the world?

they've always done this. in EU at least. it randomly happens every now and then, for me at least.

There's a work scheme here to promote "healthy living" or whatever, whereby there is small pot of money you can use to claim back expenses for sports equipment or activity in the year. It was coming up to the end of December when I realised I still had some money left in my 2019 pot, so bought a new pair of training shoes that I don't really need, but just for the hell of it. However, this was over Christmas, so I wasn't able to try and claim for these until the 2nd of January when I was back at work...

This was when I discovered that the 2019 money pot is immediately shut down at midnight on the 31st of December. Oh well, annoying, but I'll just have to claim it from the 2020 pot instead. But I can't do that either because the receipt is dated 2019.

HR are refusing to budge on the issue, meaning I'm now in the ridiculous position of having to send them back for a refund, only to then immediately buy an identical pair which I can then claim for. But because "computer says no" I can't just skip the completely pointless part of sending shoes on a round trip across the country for absolutely no purpose other than to cost me a bit of extra money and create pointless work for people. I even contacted the supplier to see if they could just update my invoice, or go through a virtual returns/re-order process that bypassed the physical act of doing it, but of course there's no actual human there who can make that happen either.

Last night, as I was drawing her insulin shot, Gena took it into her head to run into my gf's office for a head rub. I thought at the time this was a cool thing since it would distract her from the shot. Worked great. Unfortunately, When I set out to get her breakfast shot the insulin wasn't in the fridge, and when I checked all the usual places I didn't find it. This lead to checking all the usual places again...and yet again, while contemplating the possibility that one of the dogs had table surfed the bottle. This lead to prowling the yard checking all the prize zones where things tend to get collected...nothing.

Eventually I was trying to encourage myself that insulin breaks down in the digestive system, hence the necessity for shots, so if the diaphragm failed before the bottle got pooped out, assuming somebody swallowed it, they'd be okay. But since it was an almost brand new bottle (of course) I couldn't quite get convinced and called my sister for a second opinion. She wasn't encouraging at all. Fortunately though, while talking to her on the phone it occurred to me to check gf's desk. Bottle found, all is well, but what a fiasco.

Vancouver itself is fine except for the snow, but just an hour north of the city they're getting shelled by category-one-force winds and "freezing spray." Sounds fun.

Since the turn of the year, Amazon has started playing ads before movies and shows.

Why am I paying to be shown ads? Why am I paying to be shown ads on Amazon, the owner of which is the richest person in the world?
There's a blocker for that. I found one so Amazon isn't showing extra ads on the pages where I actually shop. I also wrote and told them that I would never buy anything they advertised in an extraneous, intrusive way.

It's been awhile since I watched any videos on Amazon Prime. I thought part of the point of subscribing was so ads wouldn't be shown.

Vancouver itself is fine except for the snow, but just an hour north of the city they're getting shelled by category-one-force winds and "freezing spray." Sounds fun.
Harry and Meghan should feel quite at home, with all the rain you get there, although it's likely not as cold.

This is why I won't pay for any streaming service ever.

Harry and Meghan should feel quite at home, with all the rain you get there, although it's likely not as cold.

Definitely not the -40 you guys are rocking. It's only -8 here. Six inches of snow, which isn't terrible, but for here that might as well be apocalyptic. Everything's shut down.

There's a blocker for that. I found one so Amazon isn't showing extra ads on the pages where I actually shop. I also wrote and told them that I would never buy anything they advertised in an extraneous, intrusive way.

It's been awhile since I watched any videos on Amazon Prime. I thought part of the point of subscribing was so ads wouldn't be shown.

I have uBlock Origin and that blocks page ads fine enough. But since 2020 started Prime Video has started putting ads in the player itself before every episode/movie, and you have to manually skip it every time. A really bad change. People have complained about Netflix's end-of-movie trailers and the auto-playing ads on the main page, so Amazon decided to one-up them and instead put ads before every single thing you watch. Great.

what kind of ads? I only see ads for their own content, which are usually short and interesting to me to see what other originals they have. HBO does the same thing.

what kind of ads? I only see ads for their own content, which are usually short and interesting to me to see what other originals they have. HBO does the same thing.

So far some documentary about the Jonas Brothers.

Isn't there a skip button?

This is why I won't pay for any streaming service ever.
+1

You two are awfully confident there aren't any Inspector Javerts around here.

I know that this is a nasty world, but since they aren't governments they cannot charge me if I am not their customer easily.

As I have said many times, there's already so much media on cable TV and/or legitimately available for free on the series of tubes that why would I bother to pay for even more stuff?

I have those Oreo cookies and I have absolutely no idea how to eat them !? :think: instructions on the box are vague ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom