Random Rants LXVI: NO, **YOUR** THREAD TITLES SUCK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap this American election has been dragging on and on and on and on and everyone's talking about it for months and years and decades it seems, holy crap it's all going to be over soon, I can't wait to go to bed and wake up in a world where nobody's talking about how the stupid election is going to turn out.

I honestly wouldn't mind if you guys did it like a civilized country and had it over with two months after it was brought up as even a thing. But nope, it's got to go on and on and on like a long winded person you just want to punch in the face

Holy crap this American election has been dragging on and on and on and on and everyone's talking about it for months and years and decades it seems, holy crap it's all going to be over soon, I can't wait to go to bed and wake up in a world where nobody's talking about how the stupid election is going to turn out.

I honestly wouldn't mind if you guys did it like a civilized country and had it over with two months after it was brought up as even a thing. But nope, it's got to go on and on and on like a long winded person you just want to punch in the face

Hoo boy are you in for a treat when you realize we still have another two months of this.

Nah, the worst will be over this week. I underwent a full year of local elections in 2015 and will probably deal with a lesser version in 2017. Yay.

I do sort of remember that it takes you guys forever to count all the ballots for some reason. But I also seem to remember all the results coming in on the night of Obama's election 8 years ago. So which is it?

Or are you referring to Trump going apecrap when he loses?

I do sort of remember that it takes you guys forever to count all the ballots for some reason. But I also seem to remember all the results coming in on the night of Obama's election 8 years ago. So which is it?

Or are you referring to Trump going apecrap when he loses?

Most of the time it's clear by the end of the night who the winner is. But if some districts have really close votes, there could be recounts. But the rest of it is just that the officially designated day for a president-elect to take office and be just the president is January 20. We've been doing it that way, for no particular reason any longer, for so long that no one really contemplates changing it.

It makes a degree of sense, to be honest. Expecting politicians to twist straight from campaigning to governing overnight could be seen as a bit unreasonable, and a slight delay allows new incumbents a bit of breathing space so they're better able to hit the ground running when they take up office. In the UK, we expect new prime ministers to start governing the country before they've even been allowed to have a night's sleep, whereas you have that bit in your constitution about prohibiting cruel and unusual punishments.

I'm not sure why a delay of over two months is allowed, but it used to be in early March, so perhaps Americans are just used to the idea that the president-elect shouldn't assume office until the new calendar year, and pushing it any year would clash with whatever Christmas-and-New Year duties politicians are expected to busy themselves with?

I had a fight over politics with a friend today. It had been building a bit for awhile, after he had dropped n---a a couple times as a white dude in the last several months. After he admitted Trump was racist but still said he voted for him, I kind of went all in on him, and now we gotta find a way to patch it up.

I'm not sure why a delay of over two months is allowed, but it used to be in early March, so perhaps Americans are just used to the idea that the president-elect shouldn't assume office until the new calendar year, and pushing it any year would clash with whatever Christmas-and-New Year duties politicians are expected to busy themselves with?

In 1790, it actually took time to gather all the votes, count them by hand, gather the Electoral College together, count the votes, et cetera, et cetera, so it made a small amount of sense that there was a delay while they got all of that sorted out.

In 1790, it actually took time to gather all the votes, count them by hand, gather the Electoral College together, count the votes, et cetera, et cetera, so it made a small amount of sense that there was a delay while they got all of that sorted out.

I think it also makes sense as a way to help ensure a smooth transition from one representative to the next, from one senator to the next, and from one president to the next.

Well, in 1796. In 1790 everyone knew that Washington was going to be president, and that he was going to be president for as long as he damn well pleased, and that his ceremonial turban was going to be studded with as many rubies and sapphires as he thought appropriate; the elections were just for precedent's sake.

(That isn't actually true, there was still a competition for the vice-presidency, because they hadn't really figured out the details of that one yet, and it wasn't guaranteed that Adams would win, just overwhelmingly probable, but forgive an old man his yelling-at-clouds.)

Last edited:
In the UK, we expect new prime ministers to start governing the country before they've even been allowed to have a night's sleep, whereas you have that bit in your constitution about prohibiting cruel and unusual punishments.
In more like Snoreway the government steps down when parliament tells it to. So after an election a new majority nagotiats a government. Last election I think it took about a week before those negotiations where over, and the new government assumed power.

Thing is, we're thaught in school we basically copied this system from Britain so eh

america

y u do this

Even last year's 78/79-day ordeal was unprecedented. We normally get our elections over with in 6 weeks at the outside, from the dropping of the writ to when CBC calls it between 9-9:30 pm Mountain on voting night. I started watching my soap online so I wouldn't have to sit through any more of those "nice hair" attack ads on TV.

warpus said:
Maybe the voting machines worked 8 years ago. It's flabbergasting how every state has its own method of casting ballots. We use the same method everywhere - paper and pencil, and a standard procedure to use for counting.

Traitorfish said:
Expecting politicians to twist straight from campaigning to governing overnight could be seen as a bit unreasonable, and a slight delay allows new incumbents a bit of breathing space so they're better able to hit the ground running when they take up office.
It's customary to let the new premier or Prime Minister have a bit of time to choose who the new cabinet ministers will be. It's more efficient when they're all sworn in during the same ceremony.

On the flip side, of course, it gives the outgoing government more time to shred the incriminating documents. When we had our last provincial election, they didn't lock up the shredders fast enough. Silly NDP, expecting the outgoing Conservatives to abide by the rules...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom