What do you think of the thread title?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they're speaking of Globe, yes it is terrible. [pissed] And I told them so when I changed services. :gripe:
Sky.

What's with ISP names there? I bet there's one named, like, Dirt.

She's trying to switch to "PLDT." Whatever that is.

Doritos needs to fix their Cool Ranch chips!

15 years ago they were covered in delicious powder, and you could occasionally get one with 5x the flavoring.
These days they taste like plain doritos with just a little bit of cool ranch on them. :mad:

I found the disable for it.

Start Menu > Focus assist settings > Click on "When I'm using an app in full screen mode" > Uncheck "Show a notification..." You can also do this for games.

Thank you! :)

An aside, but one thing you’ll find here in Japan is that taps built after 1995 tend more towards being the type that turn upwards rather than downwards.

Why is that? During the Kobe earthquake of 1995, taps were left running after earthquake stuff (for lack of a better term) fell on top of them and caused them to run.

That’s what I’ve heard anyway. I live in a building built before 1995 and my taps are pushed down to turn on. But fortunately for me, I don’t have anything above them to trigger them in an emergency.
Courtesy of the former owner here we have a mix. In the bathrooms it's push-up-to-open and in the kitchen it's push-down-to-open.
The Pi-Hole I installed to block ads across my home network is working too well, as it is stopping Spotify advertisements from playing, which in turn just stops my playlists entirely every time an ad would be played.

Also, there's a shocking number of tracking and ad queries on everything which pisses me right off. Not news to anyone, but still the Pi-Hole dashboard does really bring it home...

View attachment 551332
µBlock alone has blocked some 240k intrusions for me in the past two years IIRC, not counting what PrivacyBadger blocks.
It took the longest time for me to realize what "app" meant. And when I was told it means "program" I wondered why they didn't just say so.
I am old enough to have grown up in an era in which we didn't have computers at home so there was a ‘computing’ class at school. It was all the rage and of course it meant that everybody kept finding excuses for sneaking into the computing classroom in order to play Doom and/or Elastomania.
So we had one rather old man who was actually an old computer scientist on a sinecure for some years and he explained that (tl;dr) to a programmer an app includes more than just the programming part of the software.
Something I learned in the SCA is that "ap" is a Welsh patronymic. I occasionally use the word "pro" in sentences that include the phrase "pro author". I'm not saying I'm in favor of authors (though I am), but in that context it means "professional authors" as opposed to fanfic authors.
Not exactly. ‘Ap’ and its Gaelic cognate ‘mac’ just mean ‘son’ (i.e. male child) in the nominative case, singular number. It has to be followed by the name of the father (father of the person or a clan ancestor -incidentally, clan means children-) in the genitive case.
Thus, Fionnlagh (spelled Fin(d)lay in English) → mac Fhionnlaigh (McKinlay, McGinley, McKinley, McKinlay, etc. in English). sorry for all the parentheses
For women in Gaelic it's nic (a contraction of ‘nighean mhic’, i.e. daugther (NOM SG) + son (GEN SG)) + again the paternal (sur)name in the genitive; I do not know the Welsh equivalent.
There's a lot of examples in a post by Traitorfish a few years ago on Donald McRanald of clan MacDonald and similar confusingly-named clansmen.

Edit: the O's are used similarly but for grandsons.

FFS. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
So the ex boyfriend called again.
He'll come over for dinner tonight.
Noooooooooooooooo, goddamn it.
Her housemate will be there. I told her to not let him in if he's drunk, and not to have any alcohol during dinner. Or better to replace the whole thing with a walk outside (can't meet anywhere else, thanks Corona), with her housemate following. Her housemate thinks it might end up that he stays over, which I hope it doesn't happen. There's also still the chance that it doesn't happen at all, since he seems bipolar, and the mood changes sometimes fast.
I told her housemate that it might make sense that I check on her every hour, and call the police if I don't get a response.
Physical danger isn't that likely. Psychological damage for sure.
I'm so not happy about this. I'm worried. I wish I could fast forward and have this evening over.
FFFFFFFF.

And unrelated to that, seems I caught a sore throat yesterday.

FFS. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
So the ex boyfriend called again.
He'll come over for dinner tonight.
Noooooooooooooooo, goddamn it.
Her housemate will be there. I told her to not let him in if he's drunk, and not to have any alcohol during dinner. Or better to replace the whole thing with a walk outside (can't meet anywhere else, thanks Corona), with her housemate following. Her housemate thinks it might end up that he stays over, which I hope it doesn't happen. There's also still the chance that it doesn't happen at all, since he seems bipolar, and the mood changes sometimes fast.
I told her housemate that it might make sense that I check on her every hour, and call the police if I don't get a response.
Physical danger isn't that likely. Psychological damage for sure.
I'm so not happy about this. I'm worried. I wish I could fast forward and have this evening over.
FFFFFFFF.

And unrelated to that, seems I caught a sore throat yesterday.

Is she your gf? I don't follow the story but it looks quite bad for me. You can move there instead if you think he can endanger her, at least in a certain situation when you need to act and makes a decision you can help her do it or do it for her. Stay save, if things going aggressive don't let him come near to you and seek for help when things seems out of control

My ex girlfriend.
We are very close friends now, and do care a lot about her. (do I love her? Maybe not, at least I don't feel like it right now, but I do care a lot).
The problem we are talking about is the boyfriend after me. He is mentally unstable, suffering from inferiority complex, maybe bipolar, has alcohol issues. Last time they met (beginning of February) he nearly ended up beating her (alcohol was involved). He seems to be quite okay when he's stable, but this can't be guaranteed, that's the main problem. Means sometimes he calls and he's all fine and everything is good, and sometimes he's down, so she feels sad for him, but sometimes he's drunk and a total prick. This would be so much easier if he was only a prick, then she also wouldn't say "I still love him". But yesterday he called and was sad and melancholic, so the whole thing is on again, *sigh*.

I would go there, if I could, but I'm in France, she's in the Netherlands. Otherwise I would for sure be there. Well, otherwise I'd have bashed in his face the last time, so this would anyways look different now :lol:.

@The_J

ex husband ex boyfriend they are mostly bad news, if someone already cross the border of physical violence against their spouse that border will always get across, it's a no no. I really don't want to put my nose into this, but it's already posted here so I will say it, she should able to protect herself, she should know that inviting him to her house is risky for her hence she shouldn't open herself to such situation to begin with.

We are susceptible in any kind of worst and horrific condition, but most of it we can avoid it and anticipate it before its coming, naivety sometime is a worst kind of creature, people shouldn't hope on someone to change during relationship, if people cannot accept him/her as it's before the relationship don't expect them to change after that. The same also with this "battered in the mind" ex-boyfriend don't let her sympathy and false hope of change put her in a dangerous situation.

Trying very hard. That's why her housemate will also be there, that's why I told her she shouldn't do it (didn't listen...), that she shouldn't let him in when he's drunk, that they should not have any alcohol, that she should change the dinner to a walk in the park, etc.
I am also talking to her housemate, and we fully agree on the whole thing.
She just still has feelings for him, because sometimes he's nice.... I hope her housemate and me can work enough on her that nothing bad will happen. She also goes to therapy due to the breakup (yes, with that guy), I hope this will help to.
Guess I can now only sit here and wait. I did everything I could. I hope everything will be fine.

EDIT: Hey, I'm her ex-boyfriend too ^^, don't generalize :p.

She just still has feelings for him, because sometimes he's nice.... I hope her housemate and me can work enough on her that nothing bad will happen. She also goes to therapy due to the breakup (yes, with that guy), I hope this will help to.

:sad: I better not say my piece here

Guess I can now only sit here and wait. I did everything I could. I hope everything will be fine.

You did The J, you are doing good man, you show her the right thing but in the end this is on her hand, except if she's your spouse, your family, then it's different, like it or not you must stop her jumping off the cliff. But as a best friend you can only warn and give help when she ask. The remedy for a broken heart is another person, unless she find a person that can distract her feeling for him, she will always tempts to come back to him.

EDIT: Hey, I'm her ex-boyfriend too ^^, don't generalize :p.

Yea I'm bit emotional reading it after I write it down I sense that you will notice it also, but I know you will understand that it doesn't meant toward you. The things are, most of violent are committed from ex, doesn't mean every ex but most of the abusive one are.

:sad: I better not say my piece here

Tell me :).

You did The J, you are doing good man, you show her the right thing but in the end this is on her hand, except if she's your spouse, your family, then it's different, like it or not you must stop her jumping off the cliff. But as a best friend you can only warn and give help when she ask. The remedy for a broken heart is another person, unless she find a person that can distract her feeling for him, she will always tempts to come back to him.

I disagree for the last part. A broken heart needs to heal without another person. You should love another person because you want to. Not because you need to.
For the rest... I'll do my best. She's as close to me as it can be without being family, so I will stay invested, will not abandon her, unless it starts to damage me.
Let's hope this will all just go easy...

Tell me :).

It's related to my initial suspicion, she hope he will change, because "sometime" he is nice, I think in a relationship that's a wrong thing to think, take for instance she doesn't like you having a dog at home, and you promised her if both of you are together you will give up having a dog at home, she shouldn't start a relationship hoping that you'll change yourselves after that relationship, she should accept you as you are before the relationship started-meant she should accept your dog at home.

This is a minor and less sensitive example, the more sensitive example for instance like he likes to drink and get violent while drinking, he slaps her and cry then promise her never do that again, if she cannot stand the way he treated her and hope he will change after they are again together in my book she's naive. Either she can deal with that inner demon of him or just stay away from him, so many relationship broken because of this.

I disagree for the last part. A broken heart needs to heal without another person. You should love another person because you want to. Not because you need to.
For the rest... I'll do my best. She's as close to me as it can be without being family, so I will stay invested, will not abandon her, unless it starts to damage me.
Let's hope this will all just go easy...

It's much more easier to forget someone that you love(d) by starting a relationship with another person, loving a person is often not you are trap within the illusion, it seems impossible to have a day without him/her, until you have relationship with someone else, you can look back and see how delusional you were, like the magic finally have been dispelled. May not seems ideal or romantic but it is as it is, I'm not saying that you should move and push him away, but you can introduce her to some of your nice and good friend to help her get to her sense, helping her moving away from him.

I think the saying there goes:
Women marry men with the hope they will change. But they don't.
Men marry women with the hope they don't change. But they do.

For the latter, you are right, it makes it easier, but it's not a good way.
But anyways, she's not open for that at the moment.

I think the saying there goes:
Women marry men with the hope they will change. But they don't.
Men marry women with the hope they don't change. But they do.

Lol interesting saying. The first line I agree, don't expect people to change during a relationship man or woman. Accept them before hand, agree to tend wound together, but never demand it to heal, if it is heal then it's heal, if it's not, nothing will change.

For the latter, you are right, it makes it easier, but it's not a good way.
But anyways, she's not open for that at the moment.

It's entirely depend on the narration, it's not intrinsically "not good", it's depend on why you doing it. It's not moral nor immoral to heal and bleed and tend our wound alone, and only come back to relationship when it heal, you can heal it alone or with other none of it bad. You may see the one that need each other as exploiting each other, it's different, but the different is so thin, it's base on intention, deeds and action are based on intention.

So, turns out that he has a cold (or whatever; I hope he self isolates), and has now thrown in some diazepam to sleep. Means he'll be knocked out firmly for the next 8h.

First time that I'm really glad that someone is sick.
I'm not even happy that Boris Johnson has the virus (although it's ironic), but this now makes me feel relieved.

So, turns out that he has a cold (or whatever; I hope he self isolates), and has now thrown in some diazepam to sleep. Means he'll be knocked out firmly for the next 8h.

Unfortunately it's a good news, I don't even know how to say that, but yea you get what I meant.

I would go there, if I could, but I'm in France, she's in the Netherlands. Otherwise I would for sure be there.
Send in @Hrothbern. He can be your cavalry to make sure she is OK. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom