Hosting Iron Pen in A&E
Retired Moderator
The previous chapters in the CFCOT Book of Rants:

Spoiler :

Random Rants
Random Rants Two
Random Rants 3
Random Rants 4: Keep Complaining
Random @#%& rants 5: Life is a female dog.
Random Rants VI: See, this is why we can't have nice things!
Random Rants VII: Why do they ALWAYS do that?!
Random Rantii VIII: When will Latin DIE?
Random Rants IX: I'm Mad As Hell, And I'm Not Gonna Take It Anymore!
Random Rants X: Mraarrrrrrr!!!!!!
Random Rants XI: This Title Actually Has Some Imagination
Random Rants XII: It's Alright To Cry
Random Rants XIII: I don't give a damn for the whole state of Michigan
Random Rants XIV: You're gonna love my nuts
Random Rants XV: Like a Fine Whine
Random Rants XVI: Whambulance Dispatch Center
Random Rants XVII: Rage Against The Machine
Random Rants XVIII: It's cold as hell!
Random Rants XIX: Failure Tactics
Random Rants XX: I CAN'T FIND MY FAGS!!!
RANDOM RANTS XXI: Relapse
RANDOM RANTS XXII: The Angry Dome
RANDOM RANTS 23: Christ, you know it ain't easy!
Random Rants #XXIV - The Angry Mob
RANDOM RANTS XXV: Put a Smile On
RANDOM RANTS XXVI: Those Damned Kids!
Random Rants XXVII: The Rent Is Too Damn High!
RANDOM RANTS XXVIII: Everything is Flammable
Random Rants XXIX: Watch your %*$@ Language!
RANDOM RANTS XXX: age-restricted
RANDOM RANTS XXXI: I hate my job
RANDOM RANTS XXXII: I'm In a Glass Case of Emotion!
RANDOM RANTS XXXIII: World, Y U make me fed up wit U?!!
Random Rants XXXIV: Severe Cussing and VERY Illegal Pony Fights
Random Rants XXXV: BANNED IN THE UK
Random Rants XXXVI: Can't Sleep, Clown Will Eat Me
Random Rants XXXVII: The Server Is Too Busy
Random Rants XXXVIII: First World Problems
Random Rants XXXIX: Coming up with a title is stressful
Random Rants XL: I'm having trouble growing my wood
Random Rants XLI: Life won't take the lemons back!
Random Rants XLII: The Four-Part Plan
Random Rants XLIII: So Much Whinging Your Head May Explode
Random Rants XLIV: I Can't Find The Answer
Random Rants XLV: Isn't This Just a Ray of Sunshine?
RANDOM RANTS XLVI: Slightly More Than a Month-ly Edition #1
Random Rants XLVII: I don't like food anymore!
Random Rants XLVIII: Worst. Thread Title. Ever!
Random Rants XLIX - IT CHAFES MY ARSE!!!
Random Rants Νʹ: Pissed tae th' gills
Random Rants LI- Hell hath no Fury, like a Woman Scorned
Random Rants ნბ: WE FORGOT THE ANAESTHETIC!
Random Rants LIII: F My Life
Random Rants LIV: I Took An Arrow In The Knee
Random Rants LV: The Joy of Ranting
Random Rants LVI: Raving Mad
Random Rants LVII: wow. many anger. very whining.
Random Rants LVIII: Wassamatta U... Ah Shaddap you face.
Random Rants ΝΘʹ: Someone is wrong on the Internet
Random Rants LX: I wish to register a complaint
Random Rants 61
Random Rants ΞΒʹ: Bloody hell!
Random Rants #63: These Rants Don't Run
Random Rants LXIV: Who's Acting Like a Child Now?
Random Rants ΞΕ': No, YOUR thread titles suck!
Random Rants LXVI: NO, **YOUR** THREAD TITLES SUCK!!
Random Rants LXVII: Emptiness = Melancholia*Cheerlessness^2
Random Rants LXVIII: Burn it all to the ground and start over!
Random Rants LXIX: Life is a Dismal Chore
Random Rants LXX: CFCOT's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Random Rants OA - I Have 71 Problems, But This Thread Ain't One
Random Rants LXXII - What is wrong with us?
Random Rants LXXIII: "You've had this place redecorated, haven't you? I don't like it."
Random Rants 75: This is Bat Country!
Random Rants 76: Argh! Augh! Ahhh!
Random Rants LXXVII: I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no cookies!
Random rants --...---.. don't expect others to convert for you
Random Rants 79: [Impassionating Intensified
Random Rants 80: Computer Says No
Random Rants ΠΑ: That's a paddlin'
Random Rants 0x52: [Obligatory rant about title]
Random Rants ΠΓ': Parental guidance required
Random Rants Eighty-Four: Rants Gone Wild!!!!
Random Rants ΠΕ': You're standing on my neck.

The thread title uses Roman numerals for numbering and means 86.

The title itself is an expression coined by Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, when he became annoyed at an Opposition member one day in the House of Commons. The reporters tried to pin down exactly which un-Parliamentary word he had uttered, but he told them it was "fuddle-duddle"... and that has since become part of the Canadian vocabulary.

Rant: Maddy has developed a new habit: Jumping up on the counter next to the sink and relaxing like it's one of her regular napping places. I have no idea why she does that, since I don't leave the water running and there's nothing there for her to eat. She knows she's not allowed to be there but does it anyway... so I have had to re-clutter what I'd previously un-cluttered.

About the poll I included... I know it's customary to spend the first page or two sniping and snarking about the thread title. But we're all under stress and since the regulars here know I don't deal well with criticism of my titles, could we please skip the vitriol (whether joking or real) and express like or dislike for the title in a more civil way?

I am curious as to whether a poll might work for this, to help cut down on hard feelings and complaints (yes, I'm guilty of complaining about titles, too). Consider this an experiment, and let's see where it goes.

Rant: There is a lack of toilet paper in the title.

Rant: There is a lack of toilet paper in the title.
I thought about including it, but there's more to be annoyed about than just toilet paper. Like the lack of Tylenol.

Crap, that's not good.

For whatever reason, this month of illness has caused most of my teeth to develop brown lines near the gum line. Not sure if it's decay or staining.

I suppose it's good that my dental stipend reset this year. I'll need to go once this is all over.

Roman Numerals is Good, which is not a rant. Not a huge fan of the title but definitely like the numerals.

I'm paying for a pool and gym in my complex that I won't be able to use for several months.
Not maintaining the pool in proper conditions might cause further trouble. Is it out on the grounds, or is it like the building across the street, where they're building one on the rooftop?
While this is true, there are different levels of landlording. It is possible that a landlord with every intention to offer a good property with amenities like a gym and pool could be operating at a reasonable profit and not really be in a position to just lower everyones rents just because through no fault of their own they are temporarily unable to provide them. For some landlords an across the board rent reduction would just mean lower profit. For others it might mean short term losses they can afford. But for any that were actually being reasonable to start with it could mean that ownership of the property becomes non-viable.
In practice this will mean across-the-board government intervention.

In practice this will mean across-the-board government intervention.

From a practical standpoint, no alternative.

Businesses that can't stay open can't pay staff. That's life.
Renters who get their income interrupted can't pay rent. That's also life.
Landlords who get their rents interrupted can't pay loans. That is also life.
Banks that don't get payment on debts can't function, so bank robbers are also impacted.

Sucks, since in all probability no one will advocate for helping out the disadvantaged bank robbers who lose their livelihood through no fault of their own.

I can substitute my urge to swear with "Fuddle duddle" like "dang you're such a hopeless fuddle duddle" hahaha sound really harmless and a great tension breaker (I don't even know what it means, sound just like an expression for complain)

I routinely ignore traditions like ranting about the title of a rant thread, so I have happily complied with request. I encourage everyone to take note that if Tim complies with a request it is probably pretty reasonable, since Timsup2notcomplying on a pretty consistent basis.

I can substitute my urge to swear with "Fuddle duddle" like "dang you're such a hopeless fuddle duddle" hahaha sound really harmless and a great tension breaker (I don't even know what it means, sound just like an expression for complain)
A Prime Minister uttering the word everyone thought he uttered was a bit of a scandal at the time, as profanity isn't allowed in the House. Trudeau coyly danced around admitting what he had really said, and so most assume that he actually had muttered "the f-word" loud enough for people near him to hear (though they swore they hadn't) and clearly enough that some Opposition members insisted that it was obvious what he'd said. But the upshot was that it wasn't confirmed, so he could claim anything.

Fun fact: A forum I used to belong to uses this expression in their autocensor.

I routinely ignore traditions like ranting about the title of a rant thread, so I have happily complied with request. I encourage everyone to take note that if Tim complies with a request it is probably pretty reasonable, since Timsup2notcomplying on a pretty consistent basis.
Thank you! :hug:

Rant: I missed recording a really good documentary about rehabilitating a great-horned owl (this is a rescue bird that is being taught to survive in the wild - learning to hunt, etc.). This is on a channel I don't usually get; my telecom is offering a slew of preview channels until April 30, so I'm exploring. Maybe it'll be on again later, hopefully not when I'm recording something else.

Damn it.
The son of the possible future landlord is ill. Maybe the virus.
Whatever it is, he'll be staying in the apartment for an extended time, and I can't take it.
And the second apartment I saw that day... I don't want it anymore. I was totally focused on the first one, and taking the second one will feel like losing.
Meh.

Damn it.
The son of the possible future landlord is ill. Maybe the virus.
Whatever it is, he'll be staying in the apartment for an extended time, and I can't take it.
And the second apartment I saw that day... I don't want it anymore. I was totally focused on the first one, and taking the second one will feel like losing.
Meh.
Are apartments so plentiful that you can afford to be choosy?

Eight years ago I was half a day from being homeless. I had to take an apartment in one of the most violent parts of town, where the cops swore they'd cleaned up the crime, drugs, and gangs... but either it was a cursory cleanup or they came back. I didn't feel safe there, and got out as soon as I possibly could. It wasn't a great place, I hated it, the owners were horrible... but it was somewhere to live that allowed cats.

Banks that don't get payment on debts can't function, so bank robbers are also impacted.

Sucks, since in all probability no one will advocate for helping out the disadvantaged bank robbers who lose their livelihood through no fault of their own.

Rent freezes only work if mortgages are frozen too. So addressing one needs to address the other.

Are apartments so plentiful that you can afford to be choosy?

Rather not, because most landlords/agencies don't get back to me, because I don't speak French.
But I'm picky. I don't like it anymore, so I really don't feel like taking it. I think I would not enjoy living there anymore.
Right now I'm already in an airbnb, which will last me for a month. I guess I can do that more. I'm not picky with the temporary things, but if it's long term... it needs to be good.

Not maintaining the pool in proper conditions might cause further trouble. Is it out on the grounds, or is it like the building across the street, where they're building one on the rooftop?
It's on the grounds and I expect they'll drain it. This isn't going to blow over in a couple of weeks.

My Wal Mart is still using 2-3 people to check the receipts of every single person that leaves the store. It was unnecessary at the best of times, but now it's down right dangerous. The guys weren't even wearing gloves.

Wal Mart was still mostly empty of food (especially meat and dairy) but it was slightly better than last week.:yuck:

Why were they checking receipts?

It's on the grounds and I expect they'll drain it. This isn't going to blow over in a couple of weeks.

They might, because they might be clueless. Maintenance of an unused pool is really easy and fairly cheap, and when the time to put it back in service comes around there's basically nothing to do. Pool plaster isn't intended to be exposed to direct sunlight or air, and a drained pool invites thousands of dollars in replastering to restore it to operation. Even if replastering isn't immediately necessary they would be taking years off the expected life of the plaster.

Rent freezes only work if mortgages are frozen too. So addressing one needs to address the other.
That kind of thing is being done too. Utility companies have been ordered to keep the service up if people cannot pay (there's really a lot of people who can only pay in person and with cash, which normally isn't a problem because there's payment centres that take care of that and it's hardly a hassle), driving permits which are due to be renewed are considered to be so automatically, interest on credit cards is frozen, etc.

btw I didn't know Tim's disadvantaged.

btw I didn't know Tim's disadvantaged.

I'm not. I'm just the visible spokesman. Like a union rep.

The current curiosity is whether filing the appropriate census forms puts me enough on the grid that the feds send a relief check to the address I use, or if they go off of tax records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom