Random Rants OA - I Have 71 Problems, But This Thread Ain't One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monopolies are an 'Murican thing, Mr. S.

Well, at this point all I can answer to that is ‘No, you’.

Wanted a Great Engineer for Mining Inc. 88% GE, 11% GA in my GP farm. GP pops, guess what I got. This seems to happen more than it should. Or it usually happens when I need the GP for something.

Guess a Golden Age isn't a bad consolation prize.

Something I was ordering on Amazon switched to "usually ships in 2-3 months" on the order confirmation screen.

Please don't tell me it was a carton of milk.

It wasn't 'all nice' when Obama did it. There were hopes of repairing/improving relations with Russia back then, more of a "Maybe we could make this work despite the circumstances".

A lot of things have happened since 2012 even without the Putin ties with the Trump administration. Surely people are capable of grasping the difference between the two different scenarios six years apart.

A lot of things certainly happened. But none of those have to do with the method and validity of outcome of russian elections.

Wait. You use an Air Force rank as your name but you defected to the Army? What gives?

Also, ‘you need a vacation’ is a reference to Terminator 2. ;)

I keep getting YouTube ads halfway through videos I watch on a desktop computer… they're advertising YouTube.
You don't actually have to put up with that, you know...

Well, there's some NATO member countries whose police/border guard/gendarmerie forces have colonels and generals in any case.

And yes, typical American-centrism. Why doesn't your country get a currency of its own, Mr. Synsensa?
Canadian Tire money is accepted for purchases at more than just Canadian Tire stores.

Something I was ordering on Amazon switched to "usually ships in 2-3 months" on the order confirmation screen.
I ordered Season 1 of The Handmaid's Tale the other day. It's sold and shipped by Amazon, but won't be shipped for weeks. Funny how Amazon Prime works... the book I ordered at the same time (Tudor historical novel by Philippa Gregory) is coming in the usual 2 days (might even be in my mailbox right now; I should go check).

The video must be on back order and they haven't bothered mentioning that on the website as they're supposed to. I know a lot of people have been looking forward to this release, but taking months to ship is ridiculous. I'm not ordering it from a Marketplace seller.

Nah, us Canadians only recently got packaged foods on Amazon. We're probably still a few years out from fresh perishables. :lol:
Not to mention some things that cost an insane amount, like $30 for ONE tube of Pringles that happens to not be one of the basic flavors. Or $10 for a mint chocolate flavored Kit Kat bar. Seriously, who actually forks over money like that?

Which of her Tudor novels were you ordering?

I found a basic mistake in the code for my master's project that makes garbage of a large chunk of the results I've come up with so far. We even published a paper where many of the findings now appear to be crap, because of this one bug. I have no idea what will happen now - if we'll have to retract it or what.

Write another paper explaining how and why yours went wrong? Otherwise, just retract it and reduce the damage caused.

Can we get your friends from the FBI to use the memory-wiping thing and delete the paper from everyone who's read it?

I found a basic mistake in the code for my master's project that makes garbage of a large chunk of the results I've come up with so far. We even published a paper where many of the findings now appear to be crap, because of this one bug. I have no idea what will happen now - if we'll have to retract it or what.

Sounds like the only option is:

SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING!

I've been meeting with a potential client (for a freelance project) since december. We've been going back and forth, I've been preparing quotes, updating them, etc. It's a pretty interesting project overall and I was invested in it

Today I just found out that they are putting the project on hold.. after all that! I actually don't really mind, as they seem a bit disorganized and unrealistic with their expectations and their budget. So now I can focus on other things and my stress levels will go down a bit, even if it means I won't have an opportunity to increase my world travel fund

I sort of already half got started on the project, but I consider this "free time" clients get with me, before a project is finalized. Which kinda sucks from that pov, but what can I do other than focus on the positives

Looks like we can publish a correction, after I redo everything.

I care enough about science to do that. But to be completely honest, it would be better for me if I hadn't caught the mistake in the first place. It was already published and nobody would be the wiser, and I'm definitely giving up on doing any further science once I leave here. This is just going to distract me from all the other crap I need to do in order to put my life semi-together.

More broadly, a pretty significant proportion of all computer-based science, not to mention anything involving complicated statistical analysis, contains serious errors. The peer review process is kind of a joke - nobody looks over your code. That should really change. It probably won't, though, because it would add a lot of work for everyone and thereby reduce people's output in a publish-or-perish world. Never mind that the output would be more reliable - that's not where the incentives lie.

95% of all code I've worked on (written by somebody else) has not been documented nearly well enough to make it easy for me to just jump right in and start making modifications. Even if it were, there are often so many variables at play, editing or even understanding somebody else's code can be a challenge. So I'm not surprised!

Looks like we can publish a correction, after I redo everything.

I care enough about science to do that. But to be completely honest, it would be better for me if I hadn't caught the mistake in the first place. It was already published and nobody would be the wiser, and I'm definitely giving up on doing any further science once I leave here. This is just going to distract me from all the other crap I need to do in order to put my life semi-together.
Do correct it, because of your care for science. You are wrong. It wouldn't be better, including for you, if you hadn't caught or didn't correct it. As you move on to some other field, some job interviewer will ask you to characterize yourself and you can cite this development as a testament to your character, all sorts of good things about your character: honesty, willingness to own up to mistakes, eagerness to correct mistakes, care for things other than your own reputation or convenience, pains-taking. I bet I could go on.

And I'll give you a more cynical POV: you'd better retract or correct it, because if you let it stand and it's later debunked you'll look either like an arse or like an idiot. Or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom