Random Rants OA - I Have 71 Problems, But This Thread Ain't One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the radio station I'm listening to is about to flip formats, though I haven't any idea what to or where I'll go if the changes aren't good ones.

I have a bunch of responses typed up in various threads from the past few days, but haven't posted any of them. I think I'm just getting tired of constantly debating and arguing with people here.

Of course, this might just be a symptom of a larger "crisis" of sorts in my life right now. I've fallen into a routine where all I do is work, sleep, or take care of my kids. Those have literally become the only things I do. The funny (or sad, depending on your perspective) thing is, those are really the only things I want to do. I don't want to debate people here anymore, I don't want to play video games anymore, I don't even want to go shooting anymore. I've even been kicking around the idea of selling off my guns and my game consoles simply because I just don't use them anymore. For some reason I can't quite put my finger on, I just don't want anything to do with any activity or hobby that doesn't involve my work or my family. In the past few months, every time I try to do something else, I seem to get bored and disinterested relatively quickly.

I know some here are going to suggest it might be some kind of depression, but I don't think it is. I am perfectly fine when I'm working or spending time with my family and I'm not sad or anything that I have lost interest in the things I used to love. I think I've just moved on from my old hobbies. The only thing that is messing with me about all this though is that I don't know what could have caused this sudden shift in my interests.

I'm in a very similar boat but in my case it's definitely low grade depression. Depression doesn't have to be a crippling, soul-crushing experience. Sometimes it just feels like someone has dampened the vital flames that animate you - not enough to extinguish them but enough to make your life a little less bright and make it harder to see the things that interest you in the same light. Take care of yourself dude.

And to the suggestion about a vacation - I just had one and it didn't help but to each his own.

Thanks hobbs.

Rant: Got into it with the guard supervisor today. Apparently some of the guards were bringing in laptops during their shifts to do schoolwork. Technically, the guards are not allowed to bring personal electronics other than their phones to work. When I was told about this, I talked to the guards and they all told me their supervisor told them they could bring their laptops as long as it was only for schoolwork and it didn't interfere with their duties. When I asked their supervisor about it, he tried to deny it just to cover his own butt. I found that hard to believe since all the guards gave me the same story and I doubt they would all make up the same story, even the ones who don't bring in their personal electronics. This supervisor is a retired cop with no military service, so I gave him a little lecture about how the military trains its officers and NCOs not to sell out their subordinates just to protect themselves. I also said that maybe that's how things are done in the police world, but that's not how things are going to be as long as I'm here. I also kinda threatened him, saying that if he tries to lie to me and sell out his employees like that again, I'm going to call his company and request he be transferred away from our site.

I also went and talked to my boss about it and convinced him to allow the guards to have their laptops as long as they are only using it for schoolwork since it's not like they are super busy anyway and they do have quite a bit of downtime.

Thanks hobbs.

Rant: Got into it with the guard supervisor today. Apparently some of the guards were bringing in laptops during their shifts to do schoolwork. Technically, the guards are not allowed to bring personal electronics other than their phones to work. When I was told about this, I talked to the guards and they all told me their supervisor told them they could bring their laptops as long as it was only for schoolwork and it didn't interfere with their duties. When I asked their supervisor about it, he tried to deny it just to cover his own butt. I found that hard to believe since all the guards gave me the same story and I doubt they would all make up the same story, even the ones who don't bring in their personal electronics. This supervisor is a retired cop with no military service, so I gave him a little lecture about how the military trains its officers and NCOs not to sell out their subordinates just to protect themselves. I also said that maybe that's how things are done in the police world, but that's not how things are going to be as long as I'm here. I also kinda threatened him, saying that if he tries to lie to me and sell out his employees like that again, I'm going to call his company and request he be transferred away from our site.

I also went and talked to my boss about it and convinced him to allow the guards to have their laptops as long as they are only using it for schoolwork since it's not like they are super busy anyway and they do have quite a bit of downtime.
Are these guards all in university? I assume you can't mean high school kind of "schoolwork"...

Are these guards all in university? I assume you can't mean high school kind of "schoolwork"..

Yeah. A lot of them are veterans using their GI Bill to further their education and just have this job to hold them over until they get the job they really want.

You mean before the clear interference in the US election and besides the usual outrage from some quarters at everything he did?

You mean before the clear interference in the US election and besides the usual outrage from some quarters at everything he did?

He obviously means that Obama wasn't claiming that Putin had any foul play in winning Russia's election. While now apparently he suddenly is said to have, because other stuff.

2012: George is a good kid. He bought a nice new game.
2018: George is a known jerk. He stole all of his games too. He also is a member of the KKK since forever.

Last edited:
I'm sure Berzerker can tell us what he 'obviously' means, especially as you believe that he's already been misunderstood once.

I'm sure Berzerker can tell us what he 'obviously' means, especially as you believe that he's already been misunderstood once.

Going by current news (congratulations to Putin for winning his election, by Trump?) it is indeed obvious what Berzerker means. He is comparing it to how it was all nice when Obama in 2012 also congratulated Putin. Why do you think otherwise?

Last edited:
Going by current news (congratulations to Putin for winning his election, by Trump?) it is indeed obvious what Berzerker means. He is comparing it to how it was all nice when Obama in 2012 also congratulated Putin. Why do you think otherwise?

It wasn't 'all nice' when Obama did it. There were hopes of repairing/improving relations with Russia back then, more of a "Maybe we could make this work despite the circumstances".

A lot of things have happened since 2012 even without the Putin ties with the Trump administration. Surely people are capable of grasping the difference between the two different scenarios six years apart.

Why do I keep getting YouTube App ads for Jaguars? I mean, I'm flattered you think I have the disposable income for luxury automobiles, but I don't.

I do take a yearly vacation to see the Army/Air Force football game with my father. It's our little rivalry since I served in the Army and he served in the Air Force.
Wait. You use an Air Force rank as your name but you defected to the Army? What gives?

Also, ‘you need a vacation’ is a reference to Terminator 2. ;)
Why do I keep getting YouTube App ads for Jaguars? I mean, I'm flattered you think I have the disposable income for luxury automobiles, but I don't.
I keep getting YouTube ads halfway through videos I watch on a desktop computer… they're advertising YouTube.

Wait. You use an Air Force rank as your name but you defected to the Army? What gives?
Commodore is a position and/or ceremonial term, not a rank or grade, and it is for naval officers, not Air Force or Army ones.

Oh, in other air forces Commodore can be an actual rank.

Typical American-centrism. :mad:
Yeah, it's totally inexcusable. We should always talk about other countries' ranks and grades when referring to people in the US military.

Well, there's some NATO member countries whose police/border guard/gendarmerie forces have colonels and generals in any case.

And yes, typical American-centrism. Why doesn't your country get a currency of its own, Mr. Synsensa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom