Random Rants Q': I protest against subtitles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, basically this, and same with the other apps- the drivers I almost never have a problem with, but sometimes the restaurants don't deliver me something I ordered or even the entire order vanishes into the ether.

I've also been given slightly wrong orders a few times, a recent example being when I ordered a medium pizza and got a small one.
A couple of weeks ago I ordered a steak & cheese with mushrooms and got a steak & cheese with mayo. I may never recover. I mean, what kind of unholy monster would even do that?

Spoiler :

Your mother is in here with us, father. Would you like me to give her a message?

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a steak & cheese with mushrooms and got a steak & cheese with mayo. I may never recover. I mean, what kind of unholy monster would even do that?

Spoiler :

Your mother is in here with us, father. Would you like me to give her a message?
The former Philly resident in me shares your sense of horror.

Reminds me of a Gordon Ramsey episode where he asks the bartender to add soda to a fancy scotch, knowing that a good bartender would flatly refuse to mess up good scotch like that.

You don't put mayo on a Philly cheesesteak... its... just... not done :nope: It is known.

Interesting days ahead. Commodities and fuel are spiking, trucks are idle. Nobody dumb enough to get into trucking with that Musk snakeoil fella claiming they're obsolete anyways.

Reminds me of a Gordon Ramsey episode where he asks the bartender to add soda to a fancy scotch, knowing that a good bartender would flatly refuse to mess up good scotch like that.
Is this really true?
  1. In Scotland I would guess you are more likely to get your head kicked in for adulterating the national heritage that a barman refusing your money
  2. I feel the same about the stoli bolli, but I would not expect to be refused it anywhere.

You don't put mayo on a Philly cheesesteak... its... just... not done :nope: It is known.

But apparently you do put the abomination known as "cheese whiz" on it, according to Wikipedia.

:think: that actually sounds interesting (although the 2 others sound better)
I guess someone must like it, but I really like each individually and hate them mixed together. I have not problem adulterating stolichnaya, as it is quite cheap and gets mixed with all sorts of stuff. But bollinger? Expensive heresy!!

But apparently you do put the abomination known as "cheese whiz" on it, according to Wikipedia.
Absolument :yup: on both counts... it being an abomination against god and nature, and also it being a proper/traditional topping for a Philly cheese. It's also delicious, despite being a terrible frankenfood that no one should ever eat.:yumyum: I would usually opt for other cheeses if available, but that is the traditional one.

TBH if I'm at the ball game, drinking beer and eating footlong hot dogs and such... cheese wiz on a steak sandwich is the least of my worries.

That has to be a euphemism, right?
No... and yes... meaning its a real thing, but also as gross as the name sounds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheez_Whiz

It looks gross, probably tastes gross and I wouldn't put it anywhere near anything I ate.
Correct, except that it tastes good of course... because its essentially a goo made of fat and salt. But yeah, you probably shouldn't eat it :lol:
Is this really true?
Yes. It was an interesting episode, about an excellent chef that was just making everything too fancy and adding too much to his dishes. Anyway, here is the exact clip. The full video:

No... and yes... meaning its a real thing, but also as gross as the name sounds.Correct, except that it tastes good of course... because its essentially a goo made of fat and salt. But yeah, you probably shouldn't eat it :lol:Yes. It was an interesting episode, about an excellent chef that was just making everything too fancy and adding too much to his dishes. Anyway, here is the exact clip. The full video:

Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Not that is disbelieve you, I just wanted the opportunity to make a joke ;). I disbelieve Gordon Ramsay though, I bet it was scripted.

The thing I do not get about american cheese is that not only is it really bad, but it is also quite expensive. I reckon the best cheese is the cheapest camembert you can get (usually 4 - 5 £/Kg) left in the sun for a month or so. Once it starts getting that orange colour it tends to be ready :yumyum:.

Depends on where you are. If you're in love with cheese you cannot escape it, good and bad, in northwestern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.

Don't hold your breath for good fish unless you go catch it yourself, though.

Edit: now that I think about it, a good friend of mine married a lovely woman from China. On her first visit to the US, they stopped by my house for a week(flattered). It was a lovely week, but about halfway through, she very honestly was just at cheese overload. It's in everything. And if it isn't that, it's summer in Illinois, so it's ice cream. Had to go find good fresh veg spots, and that requires significantly more willingness to travel around to get them. :lol:

That has to be a euphemism, right? I am not googling it.
It's real. I don't have any right now, but I was somewhat tempted a few weeks ago due to Maddy's insistence that if I can have cheese, so can she - and she has a habit of stealing my food if I forget to keep it out of her reach if I want to get a glass of milk or answer the phone.

Cheez Whiz comes in a jar, so there aren't any slices for a cat to grab out of my sandwich and run off with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheez_Whiz

It looks gross, probably tastes gross and I wouldn't put it anywhere near anything I ate.
It tastes like cheese. Not good cheese, but the kind that will do if you're craving a cheese taste and don't have anything else (or don't want to bother). And unlike real cheese, which is pricey for the good stuff, Cheez Whiz is cheap.

Cheez Whiz is also very handy when you have kids who want a snack or sandwich and aren't fussy. I had a summer babysitting job 40 years ago (hard to believe - those little kids are probably grandfathers now :eek: ), and there were three boys - ages 7, 5, and 4. The 4-year-old was obsessed with Cheez Whiz. Fixing lunch was easy - all they ever wanted was sandwiches, and the youngest was still sorting out his speech issues... it took awhile to realize that "______, can I peez have a skeez skiz skammich?" meant Cheez Whiz sandwich.

It's real. I don't have any right now, but I was somewhat tempted a few weeks ago due to Maddy's insistence that if I can have cheese, so can she - and she has a habit of stealing my food if I forget to keep it out of her reach if I want to get a glass of milk or answer the phone.

Cheez Whiz comes in a jar, so there aren't any slices for a cat to grab out of my sandwich and run off with them.

It tastes like cheese. Not good cheese, but the kind that will do if you're craving a cheese taste and don't have anything else (or don't want to bother). And unlike real cheese, which is pricey for the good stuff, Cheez Whiz is cheap.

Cheez Whiz is also very handy when you have kids who want a snack or sandwich and aren't fussy. I had a summer babysitting job 40 years ago (hard to believe - those little kids are probably grandfathers now :eek: ), and there were three boys - ages 7, 5, and 4. The 4-year-old was obsessed with Cheez Whiz. Fixing lunch was easy - all they ever wanted was sandwiches, and the youngest was still sorting out his speech issues... it took awhile to realize that "______, can I peez have a skeez skiz skammich?" meant Cheez Whiz sandwich.
Can I ask how much is cheap? I looked it up here, and it costs £119.96 / kg but I guess that is private import price. I shall again advocate for mature camembert, £4-5 / kg and very runny, spreads like stuff out of a jar. And to my taste one of the best cheese flavours available.

Last edited:
Can I ask how much is cheap? I looked it up here, and it costs £119.96 / kg
:eek:

It depends on the size of jar you want, but even the largest is less than $10 CAD (I'm not sure how much that is in your currency). Of course the price varies depending on where you buy it* and if it's on sale - it'll be more expensive in a convenience store than at regular grocery stores or bulk purchase places like Costco. Mind you, Costco requires a membership fee to shop there, so if I wanted any I'd just get it from the place where I get my weekly grocery order.

*Food prices can vary by an insane margin depending on which region of Canada you're in. Something that costs $5 here could be $25 up north in the Territories, in places like Iqaluit, in Nunavut. A lot of northern communities don't even have a road year-round so groceries have to be flown in. That makes it extremely expensive.

I know what you mean, and I know that tipping is different over there, but:
  1. They make so little as base because they generally get good tips. If they did not, the "gig economy" companies like deliveroo would actually have to pay their staff properly. The tipping is effectively subsidising these companies.
  2. By paying cash on delivery you are not stiffing anyone who actually does their job.
  3. By paying cash rather than electronically it may mean they do not pay tax on it, which I feel they totally should not have to, as it is a gift and gifts are not taxed (in the UK anyway).
Why not pay them properly in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom