Random Rants Q': I protest against subtitles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not pay them properly in the first place?
Who exactly? If you mean I should negotiate a higher paying contract with someone I would otherwise give a tip to I am a bit lost. Companies should pay people more, and that is what I was getting at.

Everything I basically read make me think US is actually a pretty poor country for a developed country, low wages, long workhours, harsh work conditions, poor infrastructure, lack of healthcare, lack of childcare, lack of consumer protection, cheaply built houses the list goes on. Also each year it seems US is falling further and further behind other developed countries.

Who exactly? If you mean I should negotiate a higher paying contract with someone I would otherwise give a tip to I am a bit lost. Companies should pay people more, and that is what I was getting at.
Yes they could pay more

Everything I basically read make me think US is actually a pretty poor country for a developed country, low wages, long workhours, harsh work conditions, poor infrastructure, lack of healthcare, lack of childcare, lack of consumer protection, cheaply built houses the list goes on. Also each year it seems US is falling further and further behind other developed countries.
Yes. Yes, you're right.

And you object to mayonnaise?!?!
Like on a cosmic level? No. I don't object to mayonnaise in general. It's just not an appropriate topping for a Philly cheesesteak. Chocolate chips are fine, but you wouldn't sprinkle them on top of barbecued shrimp skewers... unless, again... you're some sort of monster.

Like on a cosmic level? No. I don't object to mayonnaise in general. It's just not an appropriate topping for a Philly cheesesteak. Chocolate chips are fine, but you wouldn't sprinkle them on top of barbecued shrimp skewers... unless, again... you're some sort of monster.
Shrimp and chocolate?

Sounds interesting. :think:

Sweet and savory. That sort of registers as the chicken n' waffles vibe for me, which I do agree, is gross.

Yes. Yes, you're right.
You TAKE THAT BACK! :mad: USA #1 4EVA!!! :aargh::jesus::ar15::rockon::cowboy::beer::banana:

Uuuhh, you complain about shrimp and chocolate but you're from the country that perpetrates pineapple on pizza.
Don't tell me how to hug. :mad:
:hug:

Not my fav. Still less gross. Though maybe if I look at it like a chocolate covered cockroach...

Uuuhh, you complain about shrimp and chocolate but you're from the country that perpetrates pineapple on pizza.

:hug:
Ham & pineapple used to be my favorite kind of pizza until I tried ham & tomato. Then I tried other toppings with tomato, and now my favorite combination is pepperoni, tomato, sausage, and black olives. Yes, black olives are good.

BTW, the Aztecs ate turkey with chocolate sauce. We made that in the SCA one year when we did an Aztec-themed feast. It's good.

Pepperoni and sausage? Don't they overlap a bit?

Also, IIRC the Aztecs' chocolate was not as sweet as the Europeanised version we have now.

TBH, one pizza I loved to the death was called 'the 5 meats (cold cuts)' pizza.

I'm probably way too much in love with meat.

Pepperoni and sausage? Don't they overlap a bit?
Depends on the variety and degree of spiciness.

Also, IIRC the Aztecs' chocolate was not as sweet as the Europeanised version we have now.
Of course they didn't have chocolate that has modern levels of sweetness. It's like the difference between Cadbury (or similar) brand of cocoa, which has the sugar and milk components already added and Fry's cocoa, which doesn't. My grandmother used to make hot chocolate with Fry's, but she'd add condensed milk to make it palatable for my 6-year-old self. When the ready-made stuff became more common in the stores, she switched out of convenience.

We still used Fry's for baking, though. I remember one time when I was making cookies and miscounted the number of tablespoons... which made the recipe lopsided. So with a bit of experimentation I realized that adding extra unsweetened Fry's and cutting the refined sugar by a quarter would result in extra-chocolatey cookies and nobody complained that it wasn't as sweet as the recipe called for.

Video Leaks Of NRA's Wayne LaPierre Missing His Mark On Elephant Hunt as he and his wife each kill an elephant.

Don't watch the video in this NPR link if you don't want to see each of them kill one. It is pretty terrible and needless. They are both terrible people that should know better.
Not gonna watch it. Some years ago I ended up on a mailing list asking people to write letters to various governments and organizations to advocate for stronger measures against poachers and non-environmentally friendly companies. I had an anxiety attack when I opened one email to discover a gruesome photo of an elephant with its entire face hacked off so the poachers would have an easier time to remove the tusks.

Depends on the variety and degree of spiciness.

Of course they didn't have chocolate that has modern levels of sweetness. It's like the difference between Cadbury (or similar) brand of cocoa, which has the sugar and milk components already added and Fry's cocoa, which doesn't. My grandmother used to make hot chocolate with Fry's, but she'd add condensed milk to make it palatable for my 6-year-old self. When the ready-made stuff became more common in the stores, she switched out of convenience.

We still used Fry's for baking, though. I remember one time when I was making cookies and miscounted the number of tablespoons... which made the recipe lopsided. So with a bit of experimentation I realized that adding extra unsweetened Fry's and cutting the refined sugar by a quarter would result in extra-chocolatey cookies and nobody complained that it wasn't as sweet as the recipe called for.

Not gonna watch it. Some years ago I ended up on a mailing list asking people to write letters to various governments and organizations to advocate for stronger measures against poachers and non-environmentally friendly companies. I had an anxiety attack when I opened one email to discover a gruesome photo of an elephant with its entire face hacked off so the poachers would have an easier time to remove the tusks.

I feel the same way about video of police killing people..."have you seen the footage, have you seen the footage, have you seen the footage" no I don't watch snuff films

Same.
I feel the same way about video of police killing people..."have you seen the footage, have you seen the footage, have you seen the footage" no I don't watch snuff films

Video Leaks Of NRA's Wayne LaPierre Missing His Mark On Elephant Hunt as he and his wife each kill an elephant.

Don't watch the video in this NPR link if you don't want to see each of them kill one. It is pretty terrible and needless. They are both terrible people that should know better.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/28/9915...ne-lapierre-missing-his-mark-on-elephant-hunt
I watched. The wife has a cleaner kill than the husband, but it was pretty sad in either case. The elephants don't even seem to regard the humans as a threat. I guess some countries depend on this kind of tourism for their economy, but it was still sad to see elephants die like this.

It reminds me of a time I went to the Philadelphia Zoo... There is a huge statute of a mother elephant and a baby elephant following her, right up front. However, there are no elephants at the actual zoo. My son, then a toddler, got excited about the elephant statue, and assumed there were elephants at the zoo. After viewing the ape exhibit near the statue, he asked to see the elephants... to which I replied "Buddy, I don't think there are elephants here... how about we go see a nice tiger or lion?", to which he became very stern, and pointed his fat little toddler finger at me and proclaimed... "No! No Daddy! I want to see ej-ju-fents and baby ej-ju-fents!"

When we did finally see some elephants in the zoo... the Providence, RI zoo IIRC, it was super sad, because the elephants, one in particular was obviously in mental/emotional distress. They even had a placard trying to explain away why one of the elephants was constantly shifting and swaying back and forth. It was obvious that the elephant was in severe distress. I don't know... on the one hand I like being able to expose my kids to animals from all over the world, but on the other hand... the animals are essentially prisoners. I can appreciate a balance between those issues, but shooting wild elephants in the face for amusement seems to step over that balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom