Random Rants Q': I protest against subtitles

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Takhisis, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Where are you watching it? If it's YT, there's an extension that can get rid of ads.

At least you're getting relevant ones. I used to run a Dune forum and Google AdSense would zoom in on the dumbest keywords in our posts. Wanna discuss the 1984 Lynch movie and the absurdity of Patrick Stewart carrying around the Atreides' pug dog for several in-universe years? The Fremen would have taken its water right away (or most likely it would have died from dehydration). Next thing we knew, we were getting ads for pug breeders, trainers, and kennel facilities.

Some of the ads were for completely inappropriate things and finally I wrote in and told them to stop - we were a niche forum mostly populated by teenage males and 20-something young men, and they would NOT be buying what those ads were selling. I knew we had to accept ads as part of the TOS/TOU, but could they at least be relevant and not offensive to the point of inducing embarrassment and nausea?

Gelion likes this.
  2. really

really Deity

I got my second jab yesterday and have a high temp and headache today.

I'd like to take the day off sick and crash on the couch playing civ or whatever, but I have two small kids at home so I think I'll get more rest working from home.

3. Gelion

Gelion Captain

I don't mind the ads, they give me a sensation that I am "paying" for my content ;) Its the algorithm that seems to be nearly personified (not personalised :) ) and yet purposely dumb that made me notice it.

I guess those could be described as semi-relevant, as in my case. Unless you added a little sarcasm to the mix in the first phrase. It seems to mirror my situation exactly.

Its funny, but a lot of "inappropriate" adds are there to mark that you are not surfing in a "popular" part of the internet. Its not about selling ads for revenue, but rather to show that the ad providers do not approve of the contents of a site. Some of the more interesting places I know used to get these "inappropriate" ads. Also Russian internet in general in the 90's and early 2000's used to be the same. Thats my take on this based on 20+ years of surfing.

tjs282 and The_J like this.
  4. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

Get well soon :).

tjs282 likes this.
  5. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Quite a lot of my posts come flavored with sarcasm/snark these days. Call it a freight train's worth of frustration with RL issues going on that sometimes creeps into my non-news site/FB posts. But in the case of Dune-related ads, I assumed you meant that the ads were trying to sell you real spices - the kind you eat. If that's the case, then it's somewhat relevant, given that the Fremen and most aristocrats who could afford it would consume melange on a daily basis.

If Google doesn't like academic discussions of a novel that was published in 1965, it can take a hike. Arrakeen was a forum that was dedicated to Frank Herbert, his Dune novels, his non-Dune novels, and much more. That was the place where I found people who could explain God Emperor of Dune to me - up until that time I found that novel an unbearably awful slog and didn't get most of what it was about.

As far as ads go... I accept them as a necessary evil on TV, though it does grate that I've never actually seen some shows on PBS when they weren't broken up by 10-15-minute pledge breaks. I had to buy the Yanni: Live at the Acropolis video to see it in its unbroken form.

What solidified my loathing for ads, though, was some years ago when I found a YT channel where someone had uploaded several years' worth of General Hospital episodes. These were from years I'd missed when I didn't have a TV, and when I finally did get one and started watching again, I couldn't make heads or tails of the storyline and there were too many new characters. But when I found that YT channel, I was able to catch up on over 3 years' worth of episodes in about 3.5 months. When you remove the ads, that show is about 36 minutes long, rather than 60.

6. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

I moved into a new house about two months ago and it's almost perfect in almost every way except for one big one, it has a big problem with loud cars and their drivers who like to use local roads as a race track. Now this is a problem anywhere you move in this city, but it's particularly bad in this suburb

Police ostensibly has a dedicated taskforce to combat hoons but it's so embedded in this country's culture it's hard to not just hit my head against the wall out of despair

7. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Yes, thats exactly the case, it thought that if there's a lot of the word "spice" in my video that I really want to "buy spices"... I know it can do better ;)
    Yes, its hard to stomach what is going on right now, even though the processes are never abrupt, they are always building in magnitude. Perhaps I've been more sarcastic in advance than now because I've anticipated much of it and I am just living though what I've analysed before.

I don't think ads were a responsibility of Google at first... but I agree in principle :D

Having watched those Dune lore videos on YT I think I am finally ready for the books. So its great that you ran one of those good old Forums during their golden age :goodjob:

There are some countries that have an unbearable amount of ads and if you have to watch 1 minute of ads for 2 minutes of content then you are not paid enough. Most of ads are unaccountable as far as results go anyway, so there's no practical need to have as much if selling stuff is your primary motivation. I've always treated them as an indicator of someone "making a point" about the way things are run rather than genuine attempts to sell you stuff. With exceptions of course.

8. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Greece in the early noughties, there was a bizarre worst-of-both-worlds of having one ad break in a film but it was twenty or twenty-five mins long. I'ld just go out and have a quick beer.

No-one watched the ads, but they annoyed everyone.

9. Sofista

Sofista Deity

Guilty... and proud! :lol: . It's a way of life to me...

But what would be the most credible alternative to instant noodles, other than pasta?

I failed to mention it above, but maybe @haroon could try pastina soup (very small pasta cooked directly in meat stock) and be happy with it. As a recipe, it's even faster than regular pasta!

haroon and Birdjaguar like this.
  10. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

And how would you know? Pls don't tell me you had been masquerading all this time as a british person :p

11. haroon

haroon Deity

As a recipe....

Perhaps you can provide me the recipe :D

12. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

You actually once posted:
    And now you're proposing to boil pasta in chicken broth. With actual chicken in it.

13. Samson

Samson Deity

It depends what you mean by an alternative to instant noodles. Instant noodles primary features are they contain everything in one little packet, they only need hot water and a container, are dirt cheap and last for ages. Now couscous is a pasta, and is about the only thing I know of that really gets close on all axis, but you have to add some flavourings in a way you do not with instant noodles.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  14. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

1. Simmer a couple of chicken legs (or other parts) in water until cooked and the meat falls easily off the bone. Add any seasonings you like. The amount of chicken should be tied to the amount of food you are making overall.
    2. Remove the bones from the simmered chicken and return to the broth.
    3. Add mixed, fresh or frozen veggies of all types to the broth and chicken and heat or cook them as desired.
    4. Cook some pasta of the kind you like in the amount needed for your meal or enough for later too. Drain the pasta. Time the cooking of the pasta so that it is ready about the time the veggies are cooked.
    5. Add the pasta to the chicken, veggies, and broth and season to taste.
    6. Serve
    :D

Sofista and haroon like this.
  15. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Seems like you're not the only one who's lived abroad and now complains about having done so. ;)

16. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

I don't complain about having lived in England (well, at least London). It would have been a lot better if my attitude had been different.

17. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Didn't live just stayed with an ex for a couple of weeks. The single mega ad break wasn't really a bad thing, just weirdly pointless. Surely everyone just did something else for a bit? Hell, Sofista could cook a meal.

Kyriakos likes this.
  18. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

Yes. Which is one of reasons why by now virtually no one watches greek tv, if they have enough giga-web access (mobile) or just unlimited mobile or landline.
    The other reason is that there isn't anything good there in the first place. I haven't watched in fifteen years.

19. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

Oh what we suffer here in my house is drunk people yelling as they walk past, and it being a narrow street it's even worse. Covid at least gave us some respite from that.

20. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

There's a chap with a noisy motorbike who likes revving past, but it's only infrequently. The biggest noise pollution in my area is people's lawnmowers and noisy children.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.