Random Rants XLIII: So Much Whinging Your Head May Explode

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I deploy again for a year in 4 days. This puts me at over 12% of my life in the middle east until I am 31 years old (I am 26). Newscasters continue to downplay deaths overseas as if it were a video game.
I wish you the best of luck, a safe deployment and a happy family.

2. My daughter will have spent 40% of her life, and my son 60% of his life not having dad there because of the "war".
I grew up as an army brat an experienced much the same with respect to my father's deployments.

I just want you to know that if you are a good father, one who is attentive and instills good values in your children when you are around them, they will turn out just fine. It is hard to raise a family from a distance, but remember the separations are only temporary and you will have the rest of their lives to make up the lost time. You can and will be a positive force in their life, no physical distance can change that.

3. Americans complain about hurricane sandy taking out their utilities and that life is so hard, when thousands forego this luxury daily in the "fight for freedom". 7-11 not having power is a more important news story than the X number of Americans killed by cowards that day.
It is rather sad that for the most part, Americans today can forget we are fighting a war. The disconnect between the civilian and military worlds is nearly total and unfortunate.

Stop this madness. Now.

No good ever comes of long distance relationships.

Seriously, stop.

<I double posted only because I don't want my comments on this post to have any reflection whatsoever on my last post because it was a very serious post from me>

I hate to agree with salty mud here given TK's recent painful breakup. But long term relationship do not in fact fair very well in the long run. :(

Wow. It does look like it is getting out of hand. Forgive me if I'm too bold, but if Dan broke up with you and you're flirting with Paul, perhaps... Forget it, it's stupid. I am stupid. How do I pretend to give advice if I know nil about these things. And as pointed out above, long-distance relationship makes the situation even worse/more twisted.

Rant: There's a spelling mistake in the title.

Rant2: In other news, people keep calling Belgian fries French fries :mad:

<I double posted only because I don't want my comments on this post to have any reflection whatsoever on my last post because it was a very serious post from me>

I hate to agree with salty mud here given TK's recent painful breakup. But long term relationship do not in fact fair very well in the long run. :(

Well I don't know about that. I've been in a long-distance relationship for the last 6 months now. It's hard; probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but it's working out.

In short: it's possible; hard, but if you work at it, and have a great deal of love and trust in each other it can work out.

Well I don't know about that. I've been in a long-distance relationship for the last 6 months now. It's hard; probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but it's working out.

In short: it's possible; hard, but if you work at it, and have a great deal of love and trust in each other it can work out.

Did it start as a long-term relationship?

If not, then it's a different situation.

If so, I concede the point that my observation is based on personal bias and anecdotes.

Did it start as a long-term relationship?

If not, then it's a different situation.

If so, I concede the point that my observation is based on personal bias and anecdotes.

It did in its own way. Much of the courting was done in person, but we hooked up about a week before classes ended. So we spent our first 3 months in a long distance relationship. Then we were together in person for a year. And now we've been apart for the last 6 months. So sorta applicable, really I think if it's going to work both partners have to have a seriously strong interest in making it work.

I would just say that in my experience, long term relationships and friendships can be very strong up until in-person contact is made. At that point your conception of who that person is can fall apart rather quickly and badly.

Also given the fact that a rebound relationships normally don't work at all.

Relationships shouldn't be hard.

There was a girl I was interested in. I felt I had more in common with her than with possibly anyone I've ever met. When we first met, we talked for an hour and a half, which is pretty remarkable for me, becuase I don't talk much. Then her boyfriend picked her up, and though there was no hostility or ill will felt by anyone, I decided to try to forget about her because she was taken. This worked well because she's blonde and I'm not really that interested in most blondes. I figured I could just wait for a few months or a few years, by which time she might have broken up with her boyfriend.

And then she announces on FB that she's engaged. Who the hell gets engaged as a college freshman (or maybe sophomore) anymore?

Rant: Heat wave during exam week. :headasplode:
The latter. My bad.
You have an attractive cousin. I have cousins that you can choose from. Wanna swap?
1. I deploy again for a year in 4 days. This puts me at over 12% of my life in the middle east until I am 31 years old (I am 26). Newscasters continue to downplay deaths overseas as if it were a video game.

2. My daughter will have spent 40% of her life, and my son 60% of his life not having dad there because of the "war".

3. Americans complain about hurricane sandy taking out their utilities and that life is so hard, when thousands forego this luxury daily in the "fight for freedom". 7-11 not having power is a more important news story than the X number of Americans killed by cowards that day.[/QUOTE]
1.Can't you just sign out of the army and do something else?

2. If you make it through (let's hope you do) then… you'll spend more time with them, right?

3. Be more understanding, it's the hardest thing they'll ever have to put up with, and not because of their choosing. While soldiers go out to die in a foreign country because they choose to join the Army (or Marines, or Air Force or whichever service they're in) of their own free will.
Stop this madness. Now.

No good ever comes of long distance relationships.

Seriously, stop.
I agree.
That's a fairly naïve thing to say.
Not all relationships are interefered with by attacks from members of the Fire Nation.

Rant: I have a sick :(

People! Just. Bloody. People! (no reference to anyone in the previous posts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom