Random Rants #XXIV - The Angry Mob

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly, I don't see why anyone would ever use pint/cup. Just specify ounces!

Unless it's cooking instructions or something.

honestly, I don't see why anyone would ever use pint/cup. Just specify ounces!

We use millimetres (568 ml = 1 pint). It's *much* more precise. (Especially seeing the Imperial pint is 20 fluid ounces [I just checked].)

Yeah, there are some differences between imperial and US standard measurements. Not everything is different, but some things are.

<RANT>

Collection Agencies calling the wrong number!

They are calling my number but trying to reach someone who I've never lived with and don't know, and they do automated calls so I have to call THEM to tell them they have the wrong number!

1. Takhar Group - Sure looks like a scam if you google people's comments about them. Especially beware if a conversation goes like this (and how you can catch them trying to scam you):

Spoiler :
I received two calls from them, I returned the first one, the woman on the other hand asked for the phone number. I gave that to her, she said "your name?" -- I said, "you tell me. You say that this is an unpaid bill, give me the information you have."

(Now, be honest -- is a LEGITIMATE debt collector NOT gonna have your name?)

She said "is there a Suh-Huh there?" No, no one named Suh-Huh here. Clean up your act and the files. So, I could detect an aroma over the phone on this.

Another call. I call back. This time, it sounds like a noisy boiler room -- the woman asks for the number, I gave it to her. "Your name?" I said "You tell me". She guesses (my wife's first name - which is very common) but asks, "ummm..." so I said "go on, last name on your file?"

"oom, umm, yeah, ummm, Shemmy (Shemmo, don't remember but she just made it up)" .. I advised, leave the boiler room, go take a bath, and then remove this number from your files. If I have one more call -- I am calling the cops (going to do it anyway) and asked "Do you want to go back to jail?" ... she hung up.

They have called me for months, never telling me who they are trying to reach or what it is they are calling about. A real person NEVER tried making the call, it was always a recorded message telling me to call them.

The calls started out with a male voice who sounds like a lawyer saying "We need to talk to you about an URGENT matter", and months later the messages were changed to a cranky woman saying something like "We are trying to contact you, AGAIN, we would like some COMMON DECENCY by receiving a call back". (And they eventually switch to different phone numbers so blocking the number won't work, and since they are supposedly a 'collection agency', they aren't subject to 'do not call' lists.

Well, since it was a 1-800 number, I finally called the (unfavorable term) back. They were trying to reach the guy who had the phone number before I did, but the name was so horribly pronounced one could have been fooled if their name was in any way similar (I have the same first name, but last name is completely different).

I told her that maybe THEY could show some common decency by having a real person try to make the call ONCE. She tries defended herself saying she is not the only one in the office making calls (but she sounded like the recording!), so I told her to just tell her bosses about my complaint and she hung up on me!

2. Some other company that at least leaves a message saying who they are trying to call, but give no option to tell them that person doesn't (and never has) lived here. "This is a message for XXXX, if this is not XXXX then please hang up or disconnect immediately. If this is XXXX......."

Well the only way to get them to stop calling me (every week for 3+ months) is to listen to the whole message to get a phone number, and now I will be calling the creditor tomorrow and advise them to switch to a different collection agency or make them change the recordings options or something (the creditor is a big national bank, the collection agency is some little unknown group).

<end rant>

First test at 50%?
Not bad. I got barely 60% on mine and I still got a 5 on the test.

My laptop struggles to run the Civ V demo on the lowest settings. And I really wanted to play more. :(

same pretty much.

And when I eat, I'll eat, but... I just don't feel that hungry often.

Also I binge all the time on junk food. Still ~130 lbs though,

Some people sitting next to me in class didn't get why I was snickering when the female instructor said "The only way you can tell if I'm a natural blonde is by taking some of my hair and looking at the DNA" :(

First test at 50%?
Not bad. I got barely 60% on mine and I still got a 5 on the test.

Well to the whole class it was chapter 2 I took chapter 1 last week late since I joined late but my teacher has yet to grade that one.

same pretty much.

And when I eat, I'll eat, but... I just don't feel that hungry often.

Also I binge all the time on junk food. Still ~130 lbs though,
I have such a fast metabolism.. I weigh only 110 and I eat so much... And I barely do any sports or exercise (Taking my dog for a bike ride, skiing, baseball)

I have such a fast metabolism.. I weigh only 110 and I eat so much... And I barely do any sports or exercise (Taking my dog for a bike ride, skiing, baseball)

I'm about 5'8, weigh about 135 and eat like there's a black hole in my stomach. I walk at least half a mile every school day, and play football there. Note that the way I play involves a lot of running.

I'm about 5'8, weigh about 135 and eat like there's a black hole in my stomach. I walk at least half a mile every school day, and play football there. Note that the way I play involves a lot of running.

WIM, both Brazil and Britain use the metric system. You should too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom