Random Raves νγ: Pizza!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mama mia Argentina!

Partial rave: The province of Quebec has made it illegal to declaw, devocalize, and dock ears and tails of cats and dogs (exceptions will be made for legitimate medical reasons).

It would be a full rave if the legislation took effect immediately, but the government in its stupidity decided to allow 18 MONTHS for whatever humans (breeders and vets and misguided pet owners) to get used to it.

There is no reason not to put this into effect immediately.

I've been meaning to join my local buy-nothing group all year but just never bothered. When my girlfriend booked a ticket to stay here for a while, I suddenly found myself in desperate need of furniture for my empty room. :lol: I joined the group a few weeks ago but hadn't managed to get anything since most people were doing first-come, first-served, or there was no way to get things delivered.

Until now! I snagged a table for the other room. It's sturdy. I can put a TV on it and it has a shelf underneath, so now I don't need to buy an entertainment center. This saves me over $100. Admittedly, this table was the least important item on the to-get list, but it's nice to finally get something from the group and doubly nice to finally get some furniture for the room. This is the first thing I've gotten for her stay.

It's also an exact, perfect fit for where it needed to be.

Now you can watch television properly!

I've been meaning to join my local buy-nothing group all year but just never bothered. When my girlfriend booked a ticket to stay here for a while, I suddenly found myself in desperate need of furniture for my empty room. :lol: I joined the group a few weeks ago but hadn't managed to get anything since most people were doing first-come, first-served, or there was no way to get things delivered.

Until now! I snagged a table for the other room. It's sturdy. I can put a TV on it and it has a shelf underneath, so now I don't need to buy an entertainment center. This saves me over $100. Admittedly, this table was the least important item on the to-get list, but it's nice to finally get something from the group and doubly nice to finally get some furniture for the room. This is the first thing I've gotten for her stay.

It's also an exact, perfect fit for where it needed to be.

Once upon a time there were Freecycle groups all over North America, and it was fairly easy to match people who are giving stuff away with people who need stuff (or vice-versa; people could post Wanted ads and get lucky).

The guy in head office in the States got greedy, however, and decided to take over all the independent groups. Red Deer was one of the last holdouts in this region, as I'd had early warning about it and purged the local membership list of the phony accounts this guy had put into all the groups that would have allowed him to just take over whenever he wanted.

They did catch us in the end, of course. But it took years - more than half of Maddy's life, in fact (the really down and dirty part of this began the year I adopted Maddy - from another person on Freecycle, and got involved in an international discussion between mods and owners in Canada, the U.S., the UK, and Australia).

And now that there are so many similar groups on FB, Freecycle has gone the way of "huh? Never heard of it."

LOOOL

When my girlfriend booked a ticket to stay here for a while, I suddenly found myself in desperate need
It certainly sounds like it. To help you out I'll send you a set of these. At least you will be able to entertain her in style. Watch your mail and guard against porch pirates! these are in demand even in Canada.

Spoiler :

HIINST-5PCS-Cute-Cartoon-Animal-Hand-Puppets-For-Kids-Children-Christmas-Gifts-hand-puppets-fo...jpg

@Synobun Your package shipped today. Since you are in Canada and customs is a thing, If those agents don't declare the package contraband, you should see it in a week to ten days maybe?

When you are entertaining friends from afar, you need to be prepared for those uncomfortable silences. finger puppets are an ideal solution. You can keep them hidden in a pocket and bring them out as a third person to discuss some new topic of interest. And they won't have to be fed or take up space on the couch. Do you have a couch?

And, yes I did. :D

My geezer dad got me a finger puppet for xmas last year

Just the one? Which finger does it go on? :mischief:

Northern Lights Might Be Visible This Week

People in some parts of the continental U.S. will be able to see the northern lights this week due to a geomagnetic storm.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said a geomagnetic storm watch is in effect until Friday.

The conditions may push the phenomenon known as the aurora borealis farther south, past its usual boundary of Canada and Alaska in the Northern Hemisphere, and deeper into the Great Lakes region, the North-east and the Pacific Northwest, said NOAA, a government agency.

If visible, this week’s aurora borealis should look like a glow on the horizon in the continental U.S. But an overcast sky, light pollution or a bright moon could diminish visibility.

Big day for buying things. I finally bought a mattress for the other room, and I cashed in all my Christmas chips with people and got the rest of my wishlist sorted. The only things left for the Big Event are a TV and food. I've already started getting shelf-stable things, so it's really "half of the food" that's left, and that has to wait until, well, then.

Bummer about the TV though. I'm going total budget for it, and the one I had wishlisted is unavailable now. I found one that's an identical price, but it's worse quality. Sad. Still, any TV is better than no TV, and it will get the job done.

Also had a potential new client reach out today! We'll see if that amounts to anything. Pretty much all of my new clients this year have been in romance despite me almost entirely removing it from my public marketing. Perhaps I should reconsider that.

Also also... this will be the first year I get to pay taxes on my income. I paid more taxes as a teen than I ever did as an adult. It will be nice to officially become a taxpayer again.

Big day for buying things. I finally bought a mattress for the other room, and I cashed in all my Christmas chips with people and got the rest of my wishlist sorted. The only things left for the Big Event are a TV and food. I've already started getting shelf-stable things, so it's really "half of the food" that's left, and that has to wait until, well, then.

Bummer about the TV though. I'm going total budget for it, and the one I had wishlisted is unavailable now. I found one that's an identical price, but it's worse quality. Sad. Still, any TV is better than no TV, and it will get the job done.

Also had a potential new client reach out today! We'll see if that amounts to anything. Pretty much all of my new clients this year have been in romance despite me almost entirely removing it from my public marketing. Perhaps I should reconsider that.

Also also... this will be the first year I get to pay taxes on my income. I paid more taxes as a teen than I ever did as an adult. It will be nice to officially become a taxpayer again.

Romance is big business when it comes to reading material. Lots of people just like mental junk food.

My own rave: I just spoke to the leasing agent here (my lease is up in October but they like to get things taken care of ASAP). He said he'd give me a discount on the rent that happens to coincide with the amount it was slated to go up.

So no rent increase for next year! :dance:

Electricity, though... not sure how that's going to go. I've not been running the portable fan this summer even though some days have really needed it. I do run the ceiling fan at night, though - I wouldn't be able to sleep without it.

When you are entertaining friends from afar, you need to be prepared for those uncomfortable silences. finger puppets are an ideal solution. You can keep them hidden in a pocket and bring them out as a third person to discuss some new topic of interest. And they won't have to be fed or take up space on the couch. Do you have a couch?

Hm. A true Canadian experience requires moose, beaver, and loons.

Actually, these are really cute. Do they have penguins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom