Random Thoughts 2: Arbitrary Speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course you would find us all interesting, because we are all parts of you, and you are a narcissist after all. ;)

Jupiter is such a show-off. Already had 67 moons, and now it turns out there are 12 more of them.
Given whom he's been named after, I think that is only par for the course.
I read the first couple of stories of Genesis yesterday and I can't help but notice that there's a lot of people beyond Adam and family during his reign.

I also can't help but notice indirect references to Lord God being Lordliest Godliest among of a pantheon of deities.
Yes! In fact, the story of Israel is told twice (books of Kings and the Chronicles), and there's two tales of Creation (plus whatever the Samaritans and non-Rabbinic Jews say, I don't know how much they diverge). And the Hebrews were henotheists before they became monotheists (i.e. they worshipped one god from between many before they proclaimed him to be the only real one, and even then they relapsed a few times). Which is why i recommend that people read the Bible, rather than simply misquote it at random.

I find it interesting when people say watching a certain sport is interesting. But only with friends, they could never watch it alone. Really makes you ponder.
I prefer watching figure skating alone, since it's annoying to have to explain things to whoever is watching it with me. But I suppose it's a whole different experience if you're actually in the arena watching it with thousands of other people.

I used to watch hockey games with my dad, and it was fun.

I read the first couple of stories of Genesis yesterday and I can't help but notice that there's a lot of people beyond Adam and family during his reign.
Yep, a person almost gets the impression that whoever the editor was, they weren't very good at finding the plot holes and inconsistencies.

One of the things my grandfather told me about was his own experiences with religious studies when he went to school in Sweden, pre-WWI. Religion classes were mandatory, and even then he wondered how Cain and Abel could have taken wives from "foreign lands" if they and their parents were the only people on Earth.

Cain leaves to build a city. Adam was picked among the humans God already made to be the first man of the garden.

There's a cherubim with a flaming sword guarding the tree of life!

Christians who do not believe in ‘Sola scriptura’ tend to take Genesis as an embellished retelling or an allegory, depending on which part we're discussing.

I found a "reaction gif" that has no apparent use but i absolutely have to post somewhere.
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!
Spoiler :

Don't worry, I've just found a use for it.
Do I have your permission, Erika?

I was asking for Erika's permission, not yours.

Last edited:
MINNEAPOLIS — A Minneapolis day care owner was sentenced to 10 years of probation for trying to kill a toddler in her home by hanging him from a noose.

Forty-three-year-old Nataliia Karia was sentenced Monday after earlier pleading guilty to attempted murder and third-degree assault. She also pleaded guilty to criminal vehicular operation for hitting a pedestrian, a bicyclist and another driver as she fled from her home in a minivan in November 2016.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/16/day-care-owner-gets-probation-for-hanging-toddler-from-noose/
Attempts to kill a child, gets probation. Even more ridiculous than that guy who got 6 months in jail for raping a girl. :eek:

Attempts to kill a child, gets probation. Even more ridiculous than that guy who got 6 months in jail for raping a girl. :eek:

Here's the story.
http://www.startribune.com/minneapo...toddler-from-noose-to-be-sentenced/488290231/
Ten years probation is because:
The defense argued for no further incarceration. It pointed to several ways that Karia has already been punished including her lengthy jail time, loss of her child-care career, parental time with her son and daughters, and a monetary loss topping $100,000.

Her attorneys also pointed to the “scarlet letter of disgrace in the community she’s loved and served since immigrating to the United States [and] the shame she will live with for the rest of her life for doing something so out of character that harmed many people.”
The story explains that she has mental problems.

However clinical insanity is not legal insanity. "Timed served" for attempted murder of a toddler? No, just no.

As of about 30 minutes ago, Comcast has withdrawn its bid to purchase 21st Century Fox, leaving Disney to close on its $71b bid. I guess this could be both a rant and a rave.

This package deal does not include Fox News or Fox Sports, but it does include Fox Entertainment subsidiaries such as FX and Searchlight Pictures. On the nerd side of things, Fox Entertainment owns the Marvel Comics characters The X-Men, The Fantastic Four, and Deadpool, as well as affiliated characters (Doctor Doom, The Silver Surfer & Galactus, Prince Namor), but that's just the tip of the iceberg. The original film studio, 20th Century Fox, was founded in 1935 and owns franchises like Avatar, The Planet of the Apes, Die Hard, Predator, Aliens and on and on and on.

As Mark Bernardin, an entertainment industry writer, tweeted when the Disney bid was first announced last year, "Omniglobomegacorp is go."

CNN, 19 July 2018 - "Disney wins: Comcast drops its bid for 21st Century Fox"

Until this kind of stuff can be prevented entirely, I'll content myself with recognizing that Disney is better than Comcast.

How do you figure?

I know you're angling for an opportunity to say "Disney is a terrible business", but my comment was simply restricted to its entertainment contributions. Disney is better than Comcast.

Disney seems to care about it's viewers so....(i.e. they seem to produce less crap than other studios)

I know you're angling for an opportunity to say "Disney is a terrible business", but my comment was simply restricted to its entertainment contributions. Disney is better than Comcast.

No, I was curious to see what you meant by that. Does Comcast do entertainment? I don't even know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom