1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RB1 - Cuban Isolationists

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Sirian, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Naraka

Naraka Chieftain

Hi All, I just recently installed Civ 4, and in looking for some helpful tutorials I ran across this thread linked from... somewhere! Was from a good intro to the game, walking through a start with lots of helpful screenshots and explanations and really helped me figure out the complicated beast Civ 4.

Anyway, I have spent about the last week off and on, at work mostly, reading this thread. I swear reading this thread is almost as addicting as actually playing... maybe because I felt I was kind of playing along, and hitting that 'One more turn' button, or in this case, the next page button :)

So thank you Sulla and Sirian for a wonderfully entertaining game and writeup, sorry for the thread necro, but I learned a -LOT-. Like not instantly promoting my units after battles (saving them instead for on-the-fly healing :) ) and the glory that is the Hydra!

(also, was pleasantly surprised to see I was registered previously... Can I have the award for 'oldest registration without a first post'? :p)

2. schwartz

schwartz King

This thread will NEVER die! :D

3. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

why won't this thread just RIP?

4. Dresden

Dresden Emperor

If people who are new to the game keep finding it and learning from it, why should it RIP? :p

Welcome to non-lurking Naraka. :beer:

5. Naraka

Naraka Chieftain

Thanks :) I'm still confused as to what Realms Beyond is (yes i managed to figure out that's what RB meant) but not sure if it's a mod or a set of rules or what. It's all super confusing still! :)

6. schwartz

schwartz King

7. Naraka

Naraka Chieftain

Well nifty! I guess I am a kinda-'member'? I played D2 single player (offline by myself) because I didn't want to deal with cheaters and hacks and stuff. I also tend to keep myself honest when playing too but hey my game my own rules right? :p
    Nifty nifty.

8. mostly-harmless

mostly-harmless Prince

So head over to RB and play some of the Epics and Adventures.

mh

9. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

I oringally posted this on Jan 13, 2006, 06:34 PM, but it still fits. See the original post for the full writeup.

10. Naraka

Naraka Chieftain

Hm but looks like Epics and Adventures are played on a much higher difficulty than I am comfortable with (yes, i get my butt handed to me even on Noble :( though I still trying! Once I start doing well enough on Noble I'll move up a difficulty).

So I'll stay out for now but thanks :)

11. say1988

say1988 Deity

Don't worry :) Before his and other SGs (that I only read because of this) I used to find Warlord (I think, whatever the second difficulty level is) a challenge. This helped me understand new features (and features from Civ III), so I quit trying to play "civ II with updated graphics", and started playing "Civ IV".

12. Cabledawg

Cabledawg King

I was shaving my goats butt and somehow I ended up in this thread.....weird

13. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I agree. :)

14. Blackthorn27

Blackthorn27 Chieftain

Ah the old RB1 Cuban Isolationists' thread - the stuff of Civ IV legend.

15. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I agree. :)

Don't we just love it when this thread is revived? I'm surprised it hasn't been stickied.

16. say1988

say1988 Deity

Quite probably the greatest thread on CFC, for Civ IV at the least. There is no fifty odd page thread (when I read it) I would read through.

17. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Probably they could had fulfilled their variant if this wasn't vanilla..... AI in BtS is far more prone to let cities go than it was in vanilla ( not that you can buy them , like in Civ III , though :( )

18. say1988

say1988 Deity

Not to mention paratroopers.

19. Swein Forkbeard

Swein Forkbeard Nintendo Fan

This would have been even better if the Combat V guy was named Mario and the Commando guy was named Samus (can't really think of anybody for Link).

20. Inspector Dex

Inspector Dex Chieftain

This game was an A+ for me. It's weird that I'm the only person around here that seemed to like it.

I wish I could take part in a SG like this, but everything seems to be BTS these days. My mac and I are stuck on warlords.