RBC8 - Revenge of the North Koreans (C3C Deity SG)

It's a on-the-edge time for the Koreans, doing quite well but a razors breadth away from major lifestyle changes. The turn-style for this game is more typically 20-turns, to be able to plan and execute a major campaign (whether war or building), although tis kind to let Skyfish enjoy the H'watcha. Mind you, I really do hope Hwatcha are around, and in MUCH larger numbers than they are now, for some time to come :p

Hehe on the 'odd units on the road. I had this lineup between
Shimonoseki and Manp'o:
- - X - X -
- X - X - X this gives us 100% access between cities but lets
the Mongols move and attack, *and be attacked* freely.

You've been on the fence between option A (war asap with Mongols) and option C (20 turns of building, hoping to stay out of war, preferably with Mongols and Indians in a stalemate)

If Mongols have no iron and no saltpeter, it would not surprise me in the LEAST to see them come after us. That's not alarmist, but our next leader must be ready for it if it comes - that means *several* vet rifles or more in each of our four Mongol-front cities to absorb round 1. After round one our rails will let us respond well to emerging threats.

Note, the longer Mongols war with Indians, without iron and salt, they will *quickly* become gassed - or at least their cav supply will dry up, so that's a good thing. The Mongols did ebb and flow units sometimes up sometimes back during my watch, so don't assume they're "coming for us" just because a few go back. They've been fighting right at the border, so if no Indians come out of town, the Mongols see no target and pull back. This leads Indians to venture out, and the Mongols reverse.

A key thought - taking peace now with Mongols does not mean 20 turns of peace!. They're running all over our land and there is no RoP. I virtually guarantee that we could start a war *whenever* we wanted by telling them to get out - I can't imagine the arrogant Temujin would quietly go. Plus... if we declare war via a boot-out, there are three advantages:
i) we pick *exactly* the turn for war, not "Now or hold for 20 yrs"
ii) we can thus pick a turn where the Mongols have a slew of very wounded attackers right next to our cities with Hwatcha
iii) we'll get war happiness since they will declare!

Nit for next leader to correct - you left the best defender in Shimonoseki as a pair of *pikes* :eek: Upgrade 1-2 NOW, or move in
a rifleman. That's just begging for us to lose a key frontline
city to a small number of Indian cav.

Bottom line recommendations:
- Fix defense of Shimonoseki NOW
- Do nothing with peace treaty at all now, and Mongols will ask mid turn to extend it for free - *do so*. Do NOT sell iron or salt, or cave in if they demand those
- Beef up defense in all front line cities and be ready for war at a moments notice, but don't force the issue unnecessarily - the more turns of war the more units and econ both sides lose and the greater our productivity base becomes
- Forget libs just now, we have a limited window for making Hwatcha and must crank them out en masse. It's still cheaper to buy tech - although by end of era we may want to self-research
- If you judge a good time for war, boot Mongols out, let him declare, take peace with India and in a *separate* deal buy an alliance with him vs Mongols - *unless* you fear that would lead to a Mongol implosion and the Indians becoming a superpower. But we can't allow a 2-front war/dogpile on us, so I would tend to take the alliance. If we dance with Mongols, it will ceraintly last 20 turns and they will rue the day :hammer:
- Long term dream - the entire "mid-continent" of our current empire plus all points south to the sea are 'ours', with an eastern
border right where it is now and a western border at the 'thinnest' point, ie down and just slightly west of Paegam, hence a front on both sides of only 3-4 cities to defend.

Pardon if I'm making *too* many strategic comments here, but as the entire future of the Korean nation depends on a decision to be made on THIS turn, I know Skyfish will ask for input :cool:
Also, I'm unusually fresh on the situation, just 7 turns from when I finished a long reign. But feedback from other teammates would be excellent, and in any case, it's Sky's call.

Good luck Skyfish!

Charis
Speaker
Skyfish <-- UP
Meldor <-- ON DECk
JMB

EDIT - Oops, the Mongols have salt, horses, and rubber, so actually, all they need is Iron. At this age it's a very epensive resource, and the only benefit they'll get is rails (rails we will take over when we conquer) - It might be a good option now (before) IBT to go ahead and sell Iron - drop down sci and lux to zero first, renegotiate peace, and buy something like Sci Method AND Corporation. I bet we could get those two cheaply, perhaps in the 100-125gpt range for both (three tech would probably go to 300gpt and would not be worth it). If we do this as 'insurance' to *intend* to keep the peace for 20ish turns but provide a nice smack if they reneg and declare, this is honorable. If we do it fully intending to goad them into war on turn 1 to 5, it's dastardly. (Now, if opportunity knocks around turn 12-15, well hey, this isn't called Asian Rumble #2 for nothing!!) For not much to lose, selling our iron like this is likely the best way to try to get caught up in techs. Note I left Replaceable Parts out of the suggestion above, as that would end our Hwatcha supply for good. Faster workers/rails and infantry and artillery and civil engineers and seeing where rubber is are strong compensating factors though. Hmmm... actually.... with 24 H'watcha on hand those could be 'finishers' after artillery shells units down to 1hp :goodjob: Still, I would prefer to see 40 Hwatcha before Rep parts. Speaking of horses, btw, India lacks them, meaning we might sell them and get another nice discount on a tech after a while. With tanks due soon for them, we don't give up much selling them horses)

Jsut a little news bulletin : things are going sort of OK and I hope my reign can end this week-end or tomorrow latest ;)

I hurry a Lib in Kaesongm, upgrade Pike to Rifle in Shimo.

Reneg peace with Mongols : Peace+113gpt+Iron for SciMeth+Corporation+Wines
(allows us to get the Lux for 10gpt instead of 30gpt...)

IBT : we do not renew the Ivory deal with Mongols.

1280 : There is loads of room to the southeast, I take a settler out of Yekat on a
Police station with only 5 shields, size 6 and no acqueduct.

IBT : Mongols and Indians keep killing each other...

1285 : China suddenly has Navigation at Monopoly :
Make peace with them for Electricity and get Navigation, World Map, 37g +6gpt.
Suddenly, at long last, WangKong can contemplate his miserable world...
India is not that big and its becoming obvious we need to attack Mongols sooner rahter than later !
Sell Navig to Mongols for 564g+ WorldMap.

Use money to hurry some culture in our South parts.Move Settler to a new site down there.
By the way I have kept only a lone scientist on ReParts
India does NOT have SciMeth : we are not that far behind anymore...
WE are the *only* nation building U.S : I want to get ToE too :D

IBT : China and India sign an MPP. Mongols want to sign an alliance and RoP vs India,
I unkindly tell to him to "rumble off"...
Indians bring some Artillery and bombard our armies :( not nice...

1290 : We kill of the Arty SoD but it took quite an effort...

IBT : The mongols with rails now move huge masses of Infantry towards India.
India have Horses though, right there on our doorstep in Lahore.
The goal has got to be to take over this city and possibly end the Indian war there.
The Mongol Giant will need to be taken on sooner rather than later.

1295 : A lone India guerilla gets up on a mountain in our territory, as a test of what is to come, I take all our
Hwatchas (we have 35 now and 40 next turn ;) ) and start bombarding it : it takes me 20 hits to get it to 1hp and then
I send a vet cav who dies :( so finally our Knight army gets rid of that nuisance...
How we're going to take care of hundreds of infantries remains a mystery to me :cry:

IBT : The Indians almost break our line to Chittagong but we hold on by 1hp of a conscript rifle...

1300: Mongols move "en masse" towards Lahore, we need to get there first : I have to require forces
from all over the country leaving us more questionnable to a Mongol sneak attack but with the forces
they have any of our border cities would just fall at the snap of a finger.

IBT : China and India sign a trade embargo vs us.

1305 : Our SoD of 4 armies, 40 Hwatchas and 10 cavs entered the Indian territory last turn,
so the Chinese MMP comes into action and they declare on us, big deal [rolleyes]

1310 : Indians kills loads of Mongols and vice versa, our SoD is left alone...

1315 : Finally the culmination of all those war years : the siege of Lahore.
Curious about the effectiveness of our dearly beloved H'watchas I use our entire stack, here are the results.
Miss : 25
Hits : 17
Only 2 Infantries (1 reg/1 vet) were defending it plus some wounded cavs and artilleries...
This is an amazing hit rate and our Golden stack can do some damage but the mongols look
like too high a mountain to climb right now. We have no money for upgrades, our defence consists
of mainly pikes and there are Mongol troops all over our territory :(

IBT : The Indian counter is brutal ! They send all their cavs at us, bypassing the Mongols for once.
Our armies get seriously hurt but survive...

1320 : I decide to let most Mongols get out of our territory before asking them to "leave or declare"!
Freaked by the Indian counter I kill off a Guerilla in our land and then go for peace !They still do not have Sci Meth
and this is too good an opportunity to let by...
We got our stack of H'watcha so now the time of Infantry has come :
Look at this nice deal :

We have ONE rubber by St Pete (thx Cathy ;) ) and the indians have none ! Ctrl+shift+M and I cant see a
one in their territory indeed.
Wow, their military is average to ours : they are gassed !
Possibly allying them vs the Mongols could sign their death :(
Because of this stupid Trade Embargo between India and China we cant trade them Horses :(
We did not need them in that peace deal anway
so we can hopefully use it for the next tech deal..)

1325 : I build a wall of units to prevent more Mongol units to go towards India. We need to seriously
beef up defenses before we can hit Mongols...

1330: Universal Suffrage completes in Pyong Yang :D we switch to ToE (11turns) there is no prebuild by AIs
we can only lose it to an SGL I feel...

1335 : We add a row of trees in front of our Palace.

IBT : India and Mongols sign Peace !

1340 : The last Mongol units are on our territory and now is the time !
Should we ask them to leave and (possibly) start a war vs them ? Should we go on building ?
Up to Meldor to make the decision am afraid ;)

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/RBC8_1340_AD.zip

Well done Skyfish! :goodjob:

It had been a while and I was itching for new, so well timed! It look like a good campaign, a good buildup, and I like the trades of Iron and the Rep Parts trade. Thanks too for getting a 40-stack of H'watcha, this was thematically important and I hope they prove to be useful in upcoming wars. Regarding their hit rate, I think if we build many artillery with them, we can 'red line' a city with artillery and use the H'watcha to kill the 1-hp defenders. This will both minimize losses and minimize our need for a ton of offensive units. The blitzing armies are also great city-takers after defenders are red. The lethal bombardment strat will carry over into Flight. I think it appropriate for the Koreans to continue along that line by having a sizeable bomber force when the time comes.

Please don't 'upgrade' the H'watcha!

With no rubber, and being gassed, India is in trouble - yes the Mongols are definitely the force to contend with right now. The quote that they could swallow any of our border cities in a heartbeat is... unacceptable! :hammer:

Earlier on we were debating instant war with Mongols, continued alliance vs India, or a peaceful building phase (still planning on a big war with Mongols looming).

The question now at hand is... what do we do about Mongols? I'm curious what tech they are at. We're in the infantry vs infantry era, and probably on the cusp of being on the receiving end of tanks vs infantry. A big plus on war with them now is that their losses will be enormous trying to assault our infantry-artillery-armies with infantry and cavs, as opposed to waiting until they have tanks and our losses grow greater. A second plus is that war soon will save us 113gpt expenses on our tech deal, but that deal also means that if there is war it MUST be declared by the Mongols (a virtual certainty though, if we tell them to leave from our territory) A plus on waiting about 12 turns is that we'll be better railed and factoried, will have 4-5 infantry in frontlined cities, will have some artillery, and ToE will have given us Atomic, Electronics and a lock on Hoover. (speaking of which... strongly consider a prebuild NOW) (When we do go to war, absolutely ally the Indians) If we do go for quick war, we'll still want a few turns to redistribute troops into position, and to crank out about 4-5 infantry per four front-line cities and a few more for the eastern front. If and when we can do that *and* get a sod of 5+ inf, all the Hwatcha, some arty, and a pair of armies, I dare say Karakorum would be rubbleized within just a few turns. Wouldn't *that* be a joy?!?!? :hammer:

The other issue is... do we revolt to Communism?? If you look in the RBC11 SG you'll see just how powerful it is, but that power depends on empire size, with a threshold of about 2*OCN. On this map that would be around 24 cities? This is the fitting govt for North Korea long term, our later empire WILL be that big, and it will avoid any weariness problems. Whether now is a good time or not is up to the next leader(s).

Good luck, Meldor!! I look forward to this turn :p
Charis

Meldor once agian assume the reigns of power and it seems the Koreans are asleep. They slumber in wait for the coming of the Theory of Evolution and so they have grown soft and sloppy. We have a scientist in Paegram, researching nothing. He is replaced with a civil engineer who adds two shields and cuts 42 turns off of the Courthouse build. Likewise a taxman in Novgorod is replaced with two engineers and cuts 12 turns off a factory build (See Meldor is for lower taxes! Don't believe what the lying running dogs tell you). In Yekaterinburg, a civil engineer is hired, this slows city growth but gets the walls in 2 instead of 4 turns and puts the city in WLT(Meldor)D. In Nampo the taxman becomes a policeman allowing them to build artillery in seven turns rather than 8, no t a big deal but it helps. In Shimonoseki, an engineer is brought in to finsih the walls in 4 turns rather in 10, but the city won't grow until the engineer is fired when the walls are done. In Manp'o the enginner hired slows growth from 5 turns to 7 turns but produces WLT(M)D and gets the RAX done in 7 turns rather than the 19 that were too far out. Chonju is swapped to walls and an engineer is hired to get them in four. We can get the library on the slow plan. Pyongsong is switched to pickup 2 more gold and still build the Arty in 9 turns. Taejon can build the worker in a bit, it swaps to walls with an engineer, due in six. Kaesong's walls drop from 11 to 4 with an engineer. Strangly, a lot of things are going out to hit on or about the same time that ToE is finished. Could this be an omen? A sign? Could Meldor be cheesed that he had dreams of sacking Karakorum last time he was in power and yet, there it still stands? Isn't it odd that the spot for the settler that Meldor picked allowes a one move unit to be at the gates of said city in one turn? Isn't odd that the Mongols have Ivory, wine, incense and gems within our reach and yet they only part with wine and that only at high prices? Meldor is also strongly curious about what lies beneath the city of Orenburg, that the Mongols and Indians expended vast amounts of blood to buy what appears to be such paltry land. Does anyone notice that all deals witht he Mongols will be done in 7 turns. But Meldor is peaceful and plans a happy and somber rule, unmarred by the heavy burden of a war.

The ealry part of Meldors time was spent doing things like putting a policeman in Vladivostok to trim a turn off of Artillery production. The Mongol's began building Bach's and the Indian's gelled to Magellan's and Shake's. They even attempted to start a race for ToE. Too little and we hope too late. Meldor was stunned at the lack of workers and thought that this should change, but he had a better idea of where the work force might come from. Wanting to show the Mongols that they were valuable friends we started building a rail to the borders between Karakorum, Kazan and our border. That would aid in the free flow and exchage of ideas.

Riflemen were the first to be brought in and put into new infantry outfits. They were then dispersed along the Mongol border to help keep smuggling down. We even excepted a peace offering of 55g from the Chinese, that is how peaceful Meldor ruled. He even turned down the extra 1gpt that they offered so things wouldn't get ugly if the Mongols tried to put themselves between us. Meldor moved the trrops out of the way so Mongolian infantry could move to the north and protect their cities up there. After the rifles our musket was upgraded and then we began working on selected muskets. New infantry units were placed in cities to get us up to two infantry in all cities on the borders. The armies went on a grand tour of the country, ending up near Karakorum and one of them stopped near Nara, to overlook the incense fields. The Cav gathered to view Orenberg from the mountain tops and the mighty Hwach'a moved to follow the armies and give everyone the chance to view their glory. Some even said that the odd railing programs might have slowed needed railing in higher priority cites, but Meldor was unfazed. It was all according to his vision of the future which would be revealed shortly.

In the year 1375 AD, with tense negotiations ongiong with the Mongols over peace, Meldor rasied the lux tax anticipating Mongols tricks. And as we expected, the Mongols withdrew the wine deal and we had striaght peace. Too bad. The only problem was the 14 or so infantry in our lands.

We finished ToE and started on Hoover's. The people were so happy that they demanded a celebration. Not one to refuse the people, Meldor agreed and ordered that all of the Hwach'a be fired at once in a great display of glory. Ever mindful of the workers rights, Meldor delayed a turn to allow them to move to safer lands and not get hurt in the display.

What will become of this grand display?

Meldor postponed the celebration for several turns as we had 6 arty and 8 infantry due in a short span. This also proved even better when the Mongols removed some of the infantry in our territory. However, the time had come to get rid of the rest. We asked them to leave and war was declared! The first stack of four infantry were beat down and destroyed by a Cav army. The second stack of 7 were beaten down and destroyed by two knight armies and an elite Cav. We then took out a Cav before moving the show on the road. The glory of the Hwach'a was truely revealed at Nara. There the two infantry were taken out completely and the Cav was left with two HPs. A Knight army dispatched it, the city was razed and we got two workers and two incense out of the deal (Kaesong's culture borders were big enough to get both of them, and I was only hoping for one of them). For 29gpt we get the Indian's to declare on the Mongols. That should keep the Mongols troops in the north occupied and allow us to fight on maybe only one front. We got no Mongol counter, they went after the Indians. They even captured two Indian workers and tried to sneak them past us. We recovered them for our friends though, well maybe not FOR them. They did plop down a settler to reclaim one of the incense, but we still have one. They also moved some infantry and a Cav into our territory. Two frigates escorted a transport to our shores. We sunk them, killed off the Cav and most of the infantry. The armies healed. So far our loses totaled a single Guerilla. One problem was the bombers. The sell electronics to India for Refining, Sanitaion, Espionage, 6gpt and all of their cash. This still leaves us short of flight by two techs, I opt for the steal them part, but will have to generate cash to do so.

More Mongol units come in and we spot 3 frigates with a transport. Unfortunately, they are out of reach of our Hwach'a and the arty we have leaves them all at one HP. We clean up all but four units in our territory. They transport offloads 5 Cav and 1 infantry next to our capital which is guarded by a pike. So far our sword army has taken out 5 infantry (hurt, but still infantry). We continue to wipe out all but a few Mongol units as we prepare to assualt Orenberg.

After the Hwach'a knock down the three infantry defenders, our knight army razes Orenburg and we move a settler into place to build its replacement. That done the Hwach'a and armies show up outside Karakorum. We decide that the Royal Mongol family should get to see the fireworks themselves. Word has it that they didn't stick around, instead, they sneak out like rats in the night. They do land 5 infantry and a Cav on our shores. Hope we have some spare arty hanging around. We lost the sword army trying to take out a 1hp elite infantry. This generated a defensive GL for the Mongols who lived long enough to wave at the transport as it retreated. The arty hits the city of Karakorum and then the Hwach'a, killing one infantry and leaving the rest at 1 hp. The armies attack and then 3 Cav and we have razed the city and the Statue of Zeus. We get 5 workers and an arty for our efforts. A settler will be in position to claim the wines nest turn. This will also get our Hwach'a out of their culture zpne and allow them to advance on Kazan.

We get Hoover's and I sell off our coal plant. The armies are healed, the Hwach'a are ready. I suggest going after the ivory and getting the 6th native lux. I got us the incense and wine. That would help a lot. Then take out the cities around the wine and ivory to relieve culture pressure and finish razing the Mongol core. We can not stop now. They can not be too far from tanks. We want to steal steel and MassProd, then force the Mongols to give us tanks. With tanks the Indians are histroy and the Mongols next. We must act now and not stop.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/RBC8_1450_AD.zip

I see it and will try to play sometime today...

Charis, I haven't been around much as I've started to get into the MOO thing... :)

JMB

While I would really like to play these turns, I think I am going to have to ask for a swap seeings seeings as I can't press F1 without the game crashing... So, Charis, would you switch with me this round? Then, I'll try to play after you. If that doesn't work, then I might have to drop out...

Let me know if this works for you Charis. If not, I guess I could always go ahead and play, although I won't be able to make any major changes within the game...

JMB

Top Bottom