1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Really furious!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Succession Games' started by RRRaskolnikov, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Rusten

Rusten Deity

I know that. What I mean is that Berlin is requesting whales specifically -- which provides an additional bonus (food I believe).

I'm ok with settling north by the cotton too, but I'd like to know how much food the whales would bring in.

2. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

+25% food provided by " we love the -title- day!" ?

3. Emperor Peter

Emperor Peter Warlord

I just started playing.
    I decided it is best to send the settler north because the whales site isn't gonna be settled by our rivals soon. I will start moving the settler north but won't settle yet.

I see 3 possible sites in the North. The 2 cotton is just that, rather average. A little east of it is cotton/gems/sheep/riverside, possibly wheat too but we have to be careful settling here with the chinese so close.
    Third option is the dye/cows/river.

4. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

^^ I would go for double incense as it's the only one blocking the Iroquois a bit. THen dye/cow up north seems nice for next city though we need better weapons before doing that . Have fun! :)

5. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Last minute reminder :)p): Don't forget the research agreement and bribing Budapest (not sure of the city name, the military city state)!

6. Emperor Peter

Emperor Peter Warlord

I had a blast converting TGA's to jpeg :sarcasm:, more so because I first dl'd some image converter that doesn't even support TGA:badcomp:

Fortunately, the game was more fun.
    T1: Settler in berlin, set berlin to tiles that benefit the most from GA
    T3: Through the fog I think I see the encampment we need to capture for Copenhagen. China has just allied with Copenhagen however, is the camp taken already?

Signed the Research agreement with Ramesses after I remember how to contact leaders when you can't see any of their cities. I forgot to take a pic however.
    T4: We meet Askia of the Songhai.

We can't trade anything but we see he has Ivory(1) and Horses(4). He is to our east.

We have the marble quarried near 2nd city but we need the happy for our expansion so I don't trade it away.
    Carried out this attack,

but couldn't continue next turn because a barb archer showed up. A barb spearman is also in the area.

T5: We find Oslo (maritime).

T6: The barbarian brute joins us as we take down the encampment. Our military advisor pops up and warns us about our unit upkeep. Production is down 10% because of this!

Just read Ras' reminder post so I checked out Budapest, but decided to wait. If we wait ~10 turns(time it takes to get to 1000 gold) we get a little more favor for our money.

Set Berlin to library so it can grow, settler heads out.

T7: We are now friends with copenhagen, getting us more food.

T8: Budapest wants us to find France. One more reason to keep scouting!

We find Vienna (cultured).

We find Tyre (Militaristic!).

T9: The settler is near the 2 incense. Not sure about this though, we have Incense already, the land is poor.

Hamburg finished the monument, is set it to worker for now (no hammers invested yet).
    We got enough culture to unlock another policy during our set, haven't picked one ofc.
    And the save:

Attached Files:

7. Emperor Peter

Emperor Peter Warlord

I love that the military advisor suggests we "Stop building military units". :lol:

8. Estarrioll

Estarrioll Chieftain

Oh, I guess, I'm next to rule our little pretty kingdom, right?

I'll get the save in several hours and then make up a plan. Any thoughts, ideas already?

9. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Nice report EP, and good job finding us another military CS. (might be a bit far though) :goodjob:

Didn't know about the production penalty for a big military... will have a look a bit later. :)

Emperor Peter -> Abdicating
    Estarrioll -> the new Kaiser!
    Ras -> polishing its knife...

edit: @team: I got a PM from a dedicated lurker stressing the fact that our pics are a bit too wide and hard to see on most computers... Could you either resize them in your next report, or put them in spoiler tags (least time consuming...)? Tx in advance :)

10. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

We should switch Hamburg to a settler (imo) once size 3 so we can settle iron asa we got IW. I think it's better to save the gold for either bribing CS, or upgrading our brutes prior to our first war. The current one could settle where the warrior stands?

I think we should talk about tech path a bit after IW. We still have to learn basic techs like AH, the wheel, and trapping which are required to expand more. Particularly the wheel after IW could be cool for trade routes (which should bring profit immediatly as our cities are quite close - so are the Iroquois btw :mischief: -). Then perhaps archery so we start poping archers instead of brutes? Thoughts about tech path?

edit: the workers can probably go hook up the luxuries of the new city once they complete their respective farm. up to debate though :)

Cheers,
    Raskolnikov

11. Estarrioll

Estarrioll Chieftain

1. OK, first on our military limit. We can handle this little problem by selling a brute of gifting it to a city-state. Simple math – 1 gold gives us 6-7 influence, 1 brute gives us 2 influence and costs 10 gold. Gifting, apparently, is not welcomed here. I’d say selling the nearest brute to our borders. Or found a city, I'll see. :crazyeye:

2. I guess, we don’t have the Grand strategy of what to do. AIs is quite foolish and counts our army as unstoppable, as I can see through its greetings. Hopefully, no war is coming right now. Exploring brutes are OK, but I believe, we should rush some of them back in order to upgrade them after IW is done. Then Iroquois will be the first to get a little knife in the back. :mischief: So we’ll control all the area with quite a lot CSs.

3. On economy – I’d say we found a city near incense spots and become a world-wide supplier. :king: Although, I’ll settle on a small hill, so we’ll able to grab whales later. And by doing that we also close our little barb-nurturing tundra peninsula. Next – we should train a settler in Berlin or Hamburg and rush for this pretty spot.

It has dyes and cotton (x2), mountain and river, and hills… Oh my! I know it’s a bit far from our main cities, but +10 happiness and further income should cover that.

4. Technology – I think about AH – Wheel after IW. We can always sell horses since we don’t produce army, and roads will be good for income. BO – I’ll start a monument in Berlin.

If agreed, I’ll play it and report as soon as I can.

12. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

1) wait about more opinions before selling any units :) They are damn expensive to build... wait, wtf I am talking about, go ahead :goodjob:

2) 3) Hard to comment about those, because we simply don't know where iron is and in which quantity we will have it. I believe there is no way we can settle cotton if we haven't enough iron in hand :) So it will be prolly best to pause once IW is in and discuss before finishing your round.

Furthermore settling far away isn't really a good idea regarding defense, logistic (moreso as we have still no roads, and roading there would be a nightmare maintenance wise). I would wait before doing so.

monument in berlin: why? as we have Stonehenge already, the added value of a monument would be way less than usual. On contrary, finishing the library is good for us as it provides bonus we don't enjoy already :)

4) Agreed!

Make sure to wait for a maximum of people opinions before playing (just reminding the obvious because that's the first game we play together ;))

Cheers,
    Raskolnikov

edit: comments about settler build in post n°130 :p

13. Emperor Peter

Emperor Peter Warlord

1. Don't worry about the prod bonus, no big deal. We have a scout we can get rid of but I wouldn't because it's still useful.

3. I don't think we can claim the dye there, 3rd ring, that is far away from the city. The AI will settle close to it if we don't.
    The whales in 3rd ring of double incense is also a problem, it will take too long (or lots of cash) to get culture there. Plus we can't built a boat for it unless we found another city.

I didn't realize we could get archers, they would make a fine addition to our army.

4. AH -then archery or wheel is ok

Don't forget to buy influence with Budapest once we get to 1000 gold. Speed this up by taking the encampment near Warsaw. Hopefully the CS will gift us smth better then brutes. Horsemen?;)

14. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Don't we need horses to unlock this?

15. Emperor Peter

Emperor Peter Warlord

^^I don't know, I assume just the city state does, it was just wishful thinking on my part anyway.

Btw I noticed we no longer get extra influence if we spend a 1000 gold on budapest. I say we gift 500 now for 75 influence. 1000 gold gave 155 infl earlier, now just 150? What affects this?

16. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

^^I think turn number. Though that's only a feeling, I didn't read anything about it yet (might be worth a look in the ST forum :D)

17. ungy

ungy Deity

bonus is 125% food production--not sure for how long.

On another note, I wouldn't ever sell/gift a unit. Won't we be under the limit once we settle another city?

18. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Rethinking at it, you are perfectly right. Seems mad to give unit away in a domination attempt (unless broke).

19. Iustus

Iustus King

1) We can get more than archers. The highest level units I have got from barbarian camps as Bismark is paratroopers, although infantry is more common at that tech level. We should already be getting archers (even if we do not have the tech) and spearmen. Pikemen will be after that (I am not sure if I have ever seen crossbowmen). We do need to make sure we start eliminating AIs and keeping some ground clear to leave space for new barbarian camps to spawn.

2) You can upgrade at any friendly place, so we can ally tyre (or somewhere else), and use that as an upgrading station for our explorers

3) I do not think we should sell troops. That is what I was getting at with my screenshot and comment about the troop limit. We need more cities to support our growing troops, but we should not sell them (too hard to get back).

4) I would ally with Tyre as soon as we get 1000 gold (unless we find another militaristic city state that looks better). We want them to start giving us units asap.

5) We need to expand, either with settlers, or preferably with warfare

6) we may want to reconsider (4), we might need the money for upgrades, unless we either find a lot of barbarians or start taking cities and looting gold.

7) I would not be too afraid of distance, we do not have to build a road, and a home base near an enemy could be useful, we will eventually be conquering all

-Iustus

20. Emperor Peter

Emperor Peter Warlord

Are there any social policies we want to adopt available? If so, we should before settling our 2nd city increases their cost.