Realpolitik of the Smoky Skies - The Reboot

That's a really good sonnet, @jackelgull. Nice work, and thanks for contributing it!
Turns played tomorrow I hope.

Bravo, Mr.Melda! :clap:

And listening to that piece was that much better for me, because my brother in law is right outside my bedroom window cooking on his smoker grill, with smoke blowing out the top. :lol:

:lol:

Bravo indeed!

Thank you!

OOC: After Melda revealed that he composes the music he uses in his articles, I thought that maybe I could try that. How do you guys like my first submission? I had an old sonnet lying around and considering what nation we're playing it seemed like quite a coincidence.

Very nice. :D

I have no ear (eye?) for poetry, but I enjoyed that a lot, especially your review of it.

((The more creative artistry the better! It really helps me too feel immersed in the game :) ))

Yep, that's roleplaying doing its job effectively. ;)

Turns played tomorrow I hope.

Woo! Bring on the timeskip!

Awww, you guys are making me blush. I considered writing something about the symbolic connotations of art being compared to dying and death as an artist, but that sounded too horribly pretentious so I didn't.

Turns played but internet sucks - update coming tomorrow probably.
Also, I'd like to propose that we up to 20-turn turnsets.

While we're waiting on the update to come through I can share some news I've had to sit on for five weeks now. :)

I have mentioned to some of you already that I have a massive time commitment coming up, hinting that it was some kind of project that would eat up all my time and prevent me from participating here and elsewhere on the forums in about six months' time.

That's all true, and I can now share why that is.

The Melda clan is going to receive a new addition in March next year. :king:

I expect to be around until either this scenario and the Delphian scenarios finish, or until February --- whichever comes first. I'll still be contractible by PM and Steam after that, but don't expect to be an active participant on the site because I expect to have my hands full (literally!).

So yeah, happy I don't need to keep that quiet any more. :p

(I won't bother posting this in the Delphian thread because everyone who lives there also lives here)

You mean..... Charles is coming?

Seriously, though, congrats! :clap:[party]:clap:

Congratulations!

Going to be EVEN more inactive starting next week, helping run a little game that has been taking a lot of my time.

I almost forgot to mention I'll be away from about now until the end of the weekend.

I might check up on the site but I won't have a computer with me.

The Melda clan is going to receive a new addition in March next year. :king:

Well, congratulations! Best of luck and all that! More reason to speed up and finish this IAAR!
Internet may be working enough to let me do the update...let's hope so...

On the Last Decade: The 1843 Update

Or the Emperor hasn't destroyed the nation...yet

The completion of the National Rail Network (TM) has given Pulians a much greater sense of connectivity, and has helped to make the last decade remarkably profitable. Indeed, as predicted by various governmental members, the economy is running like never before.
Overall, it was a relatively quiet decade internally...but not so much on the external front. For example:

Spoiler :

In 1834, Orlin officially was awarded the title of "Defender of Progress" by the League of Empires. Luckily, they lost it 5 years later...
Spoiler :

...to a nation that is, luckily, not at all scary or likely to attempt to kill us. There is nothing to panic about!

Speaking of which, relations with both Orlin and Eruch have been somewhat strained. of late. It appears that both nations had spies operating in our capital, and both nations' spies were captured through clever counter-espionage efforts and deduction based on the blue thread caught under the fingernails of a murder victim and absolutely not through pure dumb luck resulting in police officers accidentally tripping over the guilty parties exchanging the state secrets of Analog Computation with a member of HMs Government. The Emperor took an aggressive attitude towards these incidents, and forced both Eruch and Orlin to promise not to continue spying in our borders. It remains to be seen if they actually will keep this vow.

Spoiler :

We also met a new Empire during the last decade. Though there had been some contact between Vedria and Pulias previously, Scouts operating to the south came across Vedrian territory. A nation that places a high value on technological progress, Vedrian Prime Minister Luther Griggs welcomed our envoys heartily and with excellent music playing. We have exchanged embassies, and also discovered the "Rock of Gibraltar", which lies at the entrance to the Naenarretidem Sea. News of this discovery was met well in Pulias, and general happiness seems to be on the increase, because everybody wants a rock to wind a piece of string around*.

Spoiler :

Scouts to the north, led by well-known politician Ernest Barnard Sen. Absoluti, ya eegit, have discovered two minor nations of Yerevan and Zanzibar. Neither nation is of immediate interest, and in accordance with the more isolationist foreign policy of the previous administration neither nation is enjoying Pulian protection currently.

Spoiler :

It also appears that the nation of Dalmace is attempting to bring the minor nation of Zurich (who currently dislike us) into an alliance. This situation may be worth monitoring.

Spoiler :

The last decade also saw the attempted construction of the Pulias Tower, a glorious monument to our metallurgical ability. Word reached us that Dalmace had bribed certain officials for the plans and was attempting to build their own copy, but our spy in their capital informed us we would easily outpace them and show their "Dalmace Tower" off as a mere cheap rip-off. Unfortunately, the next year, Eruch showed off their "Eruch Tower" and, because the spies we totally don't have in their capital hadn't bothered to look under that really big tarp, no-one had guessed they were building their own large metal tower, so it would appear that we were ripping their plans off. So, in a rit of fealous jage, the Emperor blew up our tower and sold the remnants for scrap. He did, however, order the construction of some gardens** to distract the general public, and there is talk of a "We never tried to build the Pulias Tower" campaign. The people of Dalmace have apparently decided to build a large 5-sided structure for some reason instead of a tower.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile, the research of Vertical Integration and Expedition have finished, and not only has there been a nice boost in the economic sphere there is talk of the discovery of a strange new element called "Aetherium", which causes things to float for some reason. No confirmation has yet been obtained, but rumors abound of a deposit near Coventry...

Spoiler :

Closer to home, Land Ironclad units on patrol near Haven of Peace discovered a Luddite encampment. They set onto it with great speed, and despite the fact that certain Luddites appear to be obtaining advanced weaponry through theft or other means others are still armed with clubs.
These ones haven't done too well against Land Ironclads, and are now Ludditeburgers.

Spoiler :

And that's about it. So, after the first decade of rule by the Emperor, instead of the Grand Majah, Pulias seems to be doing quite all right.
Though Emperor Franz is still upset that his preferred song is just a royal anthem and not the national anthem, because he holds long grudges...

End-of-turnset Updates

Tech Tree:

Spoiler :

National and World Situation:

Spoiler :

I will get a save uploaded shortly for thems who might want at it.

*This is a pointless reference.
**I needed to fill one turn's worth of production because we failed at the tower, and so I opted to spend it building a Garden. We ultimately also had one turn where both Haven of Peace and Pulias City were 'producing' Wealth, but that will, I assume, be changed at the beginning of the next turnset.

To the Kaiser and the Senate,

After my recent discovery of Zanzibar and meeting with some of their dignitaries, it has come to my attention that they have large industries of both pearls and jewelry, which we cannot produce at the current time. I advise a break in isolationist doctrine to try and gain access to these resources.

Henry Absoluti, patriarch of the Absoluti Family

Without getting into further discussion on the topic right now, I think the Senate aswell as my Cabinet are both out of our depth regarding your questions, Mister Absoluti, as we are just about to be dissolved with the 1842/43 (which year is it really?) election around the corner.

OOC: Very interesting update! Too bad about that Eiffel Tower going to Eruch, but hey - what is Civilization if not losing wonders when you only have a few turns left?

Top Bottom