Realpolitik of the Smoky Skies - The Reboot

(Are we forever doomed to a foreign monarch? ;) )

Yes.

Also, here's the save game. I'm preparing lobbying group issues but won't have them up for a bit.

Attachments

• Pulias ESS LP.1.Civ5Save
    639.8 KB · Views: 214
The Royal Society of Cartography presents their second complete atlas of Europa, complete with all new discoveries by the brave Pulian scouts*.
Spoiler :

*Note how much prettier it looks!

Very beautiful, the men and I are grateful to see the hard work we did put to use.

The Pulian Bureau of Demographics has released the 1843 edition of their popular Europa Factbook, with even more information on the nations of Europa than the last edition.

Links to previous editions if you want to compare numbers: 1832

Spoiler Europa Factbook 1843 :
Dalmacian Republic
République dalmacienne

Capital: Dalmace
Official languages: French
Government: Presidential republic
- President: Jean-de-Dieu Soult
Area: 450,000 sq. km (2nd)
Population: 1,729,000 (3rd)
GNP: 75 million gold (4th)
Manufactured goods: 68 million tons (3rd)
Crop yield: 62 million bushels (4th)
Literacy: 74% (4th)
Anthem: Cancan dalmacien

Eruch Confederation
Alldeutscher Bund Eruch

Capital: Eruch
Official languages: German
Government: Parliamentary republic
- Chancellor: Cyrus Rotheram
Area: 440,000 sq. km (3rd)
Population: 1,249,000 (4th)
GNP: 82 million gold (3rd)
Manufactured goods: 70 million tons (2nd)
Crop yield: 59 million bushels (5th)
Literacy: 74% (4th)
Anthem: An die Freude

Orlin
Орлин

Capital: Orlin
Official languages: Russian
Government: Presidential republic
- President: Illarion Vasilchikov
Area: 420,000 sq. km (4th)
Population: 2,343,000 (1st)
GNP: 54 million gold (5th)
Manufactured goods: 47 million tons (5th)
Crop yield: 84 million bushels (1st)
Literacy: 75% (1st)
Anthem: Танец рыцарей (Tanets rytsarey)

Pulian Realm

Capital: Pulias City
Official languages: English
Government: Parliamentary constitutional monarchy
- Monarch: Franz Karl
- Prime Minister: Aurora Gurra
Area: 470,000 sq. km (1st)
Population: 1,199,000 (5th)
GNP: 120 million gold (1st)
Manufactured goods: 113 million tons (1st)
Crop yield: 63 million bushels (3rd)
Anthem: I Vow to Thee, My Country

United Kingdom of Vedria
Förenade konungariket Vedria
Vedrian yhdistynyt kuningaskunta

Capital: Vedria
Largest city: Linköping
Official languages: Swedish, Finnish
Government: Parliamentary constitutional monarchy
- Monarch: Karl XIV Johan
- Prime Minister: Luther Griggs
Area: 400,000 sq. km (5th)
Population: 2,115,000 (2nd)
GNP: 98 million gold (2nd)
Manufactured goods: 48 million tons (4th)
Crop yield: 78 million bushels (2nd)
Anthem: Du gamla, Du fria

An exclusive portrait of Pulian agent Dr. Grey, secretly stationed in Eruch doing secret stuff:

Spoiler :

On behalf of the Pulias People's Party, I have a few announcements to make. First of all, a new member has joined our ranks - former Senator David Richterson. We are very happy to have you with us in the fight for solidarity and justice, Comrade Richterson.

Second of all, a party congress has been held to elect new spokespersons of the party. The party room has given me, Aurora Gurra, the confidence to hold the presidency for a second term and David Richterson has been elected Secretary.

And finally, these are the Pulias People's Party's senatorial candidates for the 1843 general election:

Aurora Gurra in Pulias City,
William Melda in Haven of Peace,
David Richterson in Coventry.

Just wanted to give people the head's-up that I will have lobbying issues up in the next day or two - only that certain parties dumped certain papers on me and completing those has to take priority...

Cpm, have you thought about an assassination mechanic?

Aw, I don't want my characters to die until I kill them myself.

(Yes, every character I create has an expiry date already determined well in advance. :p)

Who wants lobbying issues?*

Spoiler :
*I do, I do!

The Armament League: Arguably the strongest of the active Pulian lobbying groups, the Armament League is maintaining their calls for an active build-up of the Pulian armed forces, notably the newer Flyers and Landships. They also support the fortification of the frontier town of Coventry, and some are even angling for a pre-emptive strike against Eruch.

The League for Peace: On the other hand, the League for Peace, only slightly weaker than their Jingoistic counterparts, is maintaining their calls for peaceful relations with our Eruchian neighbors. They also have begun calling for securing an alliance, or at least a friendly declaration of friendship, with Vedria. Others wish to see a Trade College in Haven of Peace.

The Mossback Party: The remnants of Dot Eitus' short-lived reactionary party have reformed in the capital. So far their policy seems to be built entirely around government-funded Grand Mansions, but this could be the beginnings of an anti-progress movement in the nation - even more so when we consider the rumors that this group has the covert support of the Emperor.

Culturists of Pulias: These artists are still stubbornly demanding that Pulias bestows a Mandate of Heaven upon the Emperor for no apparent reason.

Fiscal Responsibility League: Since the budget deficit has been largely addressed, the FRL has switched its focus to improving the national economic infrastructure. Namely, they want to see the construction of Stock Exchanges in the capital and Haven of Peace.

Pulian Fascist Party: After its shocking rise and fall last decade, the Fascist Party has shrunk to only a few fanatics. Whether it will ever be a major player on the Pulian governmental scene remains to be seen, and for now their only demand is an attack on Eruch.

Exploration League: The discovery of the new Aetherium element and other scientific advances have brought more and more people to the League. They are now calling for bringing as many known Aetherium reserves under our control (some theorize it could provide a safe alternative to the sometimes-explosive gases used to lift airships) for further study, as well as researching Eruptives (because they want to see if crap can be made to blow up more effectively.)

Pulias First: The isolationist movement is also desirous of obtaining Aetherium, though their focus is more for self-defense than pure scientific research. Otherwise, they support civil improvements throughout the nation - an Arsenal in the capital and a Factory to boost production in Coventry - as well as a new Flyer for further defense of the skies.

I will get the OP updated as soon as possible to wrap this part of the session up, but I have a test tomorrow (and it's me birthday) so it'll be a bit. I appreciate your patience.

:bday:[party]

Happy birthday! :D

And that's great. We'll be busy poring over this data which should buy you the time you need. ;)

Belated thanks for the birthday wishes, and the OP is now updated.

Aurora Gurra opens up the 1843 election campaigns with a public speech in Pulias City:

Spoiler :
Thank you all for coming here tonight! It has been very quiet since the dissolution of Senate, and I apologise for that. All of you who are members of the Pulias People's Party know that we have worked very hard on evaluating the past decade and planning for decades to come, and we assume other parties have done the same.

This last decade saw a lot of progress with the adoption of human rights bills, completion of the Pulias Railway, and new technological innovation. Now is the time to build on that for a Pulias that can be even better. I want to present to you the Pulias People's Party's manifesto, to show you how we are going to continue our work for the constant improvement of life in Pulias and in Europa.

• We in the Pulias People's Party are commited to preserving the Long Peace that has blessed Europa since the revolution. To do so, we want to encourage trade with other nations whenever possible and maintain friendly relations. We are also set on opening up Pulias' foreign policy by extending the earlier established 'sphere of protection' to at least double the distance, improving our relations with the city-states of Zurich, Zanzibar, and Yerevan.

• We in the Pulias People's Party have for two decades argued the advantages of a Mandate of Heaven policy, and we are still set on adopting one. Investing in the people's happiness as a means of cultural growth is extremely important for an open, democratic society.

• We in the Pulias People's Party acknowledge that a proper defence is an important tool for keeping the peace that we wish to uphold. To begin with we want to train Artillery in Pulias City to complement our landships with ranged units.

• We in the Pulias People's Party are excited that Expedition research has come to an end, and are ready to launch a programme for the establishment of Trade Colleges throughout the country if elected. These would make a great difference for providing education to all citizens, and we would like to see the first one commence construction in Haven of Peace immediately as a trial of the concept.

• We in the Pulias People's Party want to make use of our historical treasures as a means for stimulating the economy and our culture. Therefore, we seek to research the proper technology to build a Neuschwanstein castle in the Pulias City mountainside and as a part of that project also invest in the renovation of our cities' existing medieval castles to turn them into something valuable rather than an unused shadow of our past - the best way not to repeat mistakes of the past is to learn from it.

• We in the Pulias People's Party look to research Eruptives technology, as it would lead us on the way to new discoveries in the field of Landships and Airships that would eventually allow us to establish Patent Offices and an Inventor's Hall for increased production and scientific innovation.

• We in the Pulias People's Party will finish the Difference Engine project by building an Analytical Engine in Pulias City, for the computing system to reach its full potential and bring about a new era of mechanised industry and increased freedom.

• We in the Pulias People's Party also want to see Grand Mansions constructed in our cities as they would become valuable centres of economical and cultural activity. We seek to build one in Coventry during the upcoming term of government, with the goal of building one in Pulias City later in addition to the one already built in Haven of Peace.
As you can hear, we have a lot ahead of us and I promise not to disappoint you. I will be visiting several organisations and social movements here in Pulias City to talk more in detail about these goals, what more our party has in mind, and to ultimately hear what it is that you want from us.

I hope to see you soon, because together we can make change happen!

Top Bottom