Rebalance of 2/3 of all civs in April!

I think if you're going to buff Georgia, you could do it lightly with something like 'Each level of walls provides +1 Great Prophet point' - so they can not be as split by their focus on defense and religion. if they need more then that, make the cassius belli ability work on defensive wars as well.
+1 GP point...that's, well, pointless. Once you have a GP or they're all gone, it's a useless perk. If you're going to buff them, buff them.

I doubt Rome needs a buff, but if needed have the bath provide +1 more housing.
It's not so much that they need a buff, they're just...bland, especially since they're pretty much the archetypal civ. I'd swap their free monument for something equally powerful and more exciting. I'm not very good at coming up with the suggestion though, lol

+1 GP point...that's, well, pointless. Once you have a GP or they're all gone, it's a useless perk. If you're going to buff them, buff them.

I think one of the things which makes Spain unsatisfying to play is that they don't have any bonuses to founding their own religion so this would very much help. I suspect firaxis could do something more interesting than a flat +1 GPP, some change along these lined would make Spain a lot more fun.

I think one of the things which makes Spain unsatisfying to play is that they don't have any bonuses to founding their own religion so this would very much help. I suspect firaxis could do something more interesting than a flat +1 GPP, some change along these lined would make Spain a lot more fun.
That was about Georgia, not Spain. I agree that it would help Spain a lot more, with their bifurcated system. With Georgia though, they seem fairly weak so need an actual buff, not just a little hand up.

IIRC all the extra Great Prophet Points will be turned into faith once all the Prophets are gone, which is helpful when you are a faith civ.

IIRC all the extra Great Prophet Points will be turned into faith once all the Prophets are gone, which is helpful when you are a faith civ.
Has that changed? It used to be they were just wasted. Still, 1 fpt isn't going to do a lot, a free missionary by the end of the game.

Some things I've been considering lately for Spain would focus them more in colonial. IMHO, religious zealotry should keep there, but supporting empire-building. The trade focus of treasure fleet is the main thing I would like to be reinforced.

Even if it will make the description even more convoluted, I think you could make the bonus of treasure fleet scale in a way it requires to focus in a colonial empire, but makes it more rewarding. I'm thinking on the lines about the bonus should multiply based in the number of cities in the continent you have less (so, if you are trading between a continent with 2 cities and another with 2 cities it would be a x2, but if you are trading between a continent with 1 city and another with 3 cities it would be a x1), or just in the number of "out of main continent" cities you have. This would not be a buff per se (inded it may make the bonus to kick even later), but certainly reward exploration-expansion (including conquer) gameplay.

A GPP bonus is probably needed for Spain, but I see them more of a "late religion" receiver (like Arabia) than a civ you pick your religion early. Building on trade again, I think this might be achieved by giving them a big GPP boost if trading with a civ wich already has a religion. (maybe +3 or +5 great prophet pts. per trade route). With the new rules, this would be converted to faith in the long run, which may be helpful to Spain too. Again, this would be a bonus that requires exploration an some luck (to find civs which already found its religion), but reward that in allowing you to catch-up in the religion race.

I'd like mission to help missionaries and religious units a bit more too. Maybe something in the lines of +1 religious charge per mission in the city could be interesting (capped to reasonable amount and maybe limiting it to missionaries and inquisitors - with Philips' ability being changed from generic +1 to +1 per mission). Maybe also allow building missions already with theology, but limited to faith bonus, then unlock the rest of bonuses at exploration will help Spain's religious game while still promoting the intended focus on exploration.

Edit: Last-minute tought, to promote on the "zealotry" department. The missed point about inquisition is it is not really relevant to gameplay. If you have a strong religion game, inquisitors are not very useful units... unless:
give Spain its missing culture bonus by *gasp* promoting inquisition: under "El Escorial", cities with only Spain's religion could produce extra culture (and loyalty). -> Now, you have a reason to expect the spanish inquisition.

Last edited:
This is a welcome announcement. As far as things I would like to see, making Greece’s bonuses more developed would be nice. I don’t mind that their bonuses are easy to remember and/or easy for new players to know, but they are a tad on the simple side compared to literally every other civ in the game. It just feels out of place.

Making the Maya slightly stronger while still keeping the limitations would be nice, and some power reduction for Russia and power increase for Spain would be welcome.

That was about Georgia, not Spain. I agree that it would help Spain a lot more, with their bifurcated system. With Georgia though, they seem fairly weak so need an actual buff, not just a little hand up.

Oops. Yep I misread that. Georgia is interesting in that they are more about faith economy than a religion per se. The Khevsur is not great, so buffing that could help. And as the Tshike is locked behind two layers of walls it would be nice to be able to just build it and get the ancient/medieval walls for free when you do...

It's not so much that they need a buff, they're just...bland, especially since they're pretty much the archetypal civ. I'd swap their free monument for something equally powerful and more exciting. I'm not very good at coming up with the suggestion though, lol

As to the first point - that would give the initial walls a chance at helping with getting a great prophet - tying two of their core ideas together. Later on it would scale to +6 faith a city which is not neglible at all imo. They don't need lots of extra stats, they need to have their abilities come together.

As to the second point - I think a free monument is actually very good for them - though the all roads lead to rome is quite dull if you have to change one. Perhaps make that one more exciting, by providing extra movement on roads in your territory (though this is a bit of stealing Cyrus's shtick)

Most of the great person point bonuses just result in that one civ having ALL the great people of that type in the game. Which is not fun at all to play against. They all should be situational in some way, like maybe the bonus only applies in a certain era or something.
I especially hate stuff like the Kongo +50% to Merchants, Writers, Artists and Musicians. Would rather something thematic like gain +50 artist points for every Mbanza you build or something. You know, make it more situational.

While I appreciate this balance pass and really look forward to it, I rather expect conservative changes here. More in the direction of numerical balancing than connecting old uniques with new gameplay elements. The reason is that -especially when changing the oldest base game and small DLC civs- you have to be careful with any change to avoid breaking the game balancewise or even technically for people who don't own all the possible Civ6 content.

Buff China! right now China's UA is boring and uninspired!

Yes. Especially the Great Wall UI. It's too restrictive and really a micromanagement nightmare to use effectively. In an ideal world I'd have preferred a Great Wall similar to flood barriers. Much simpler.

I play Dramatic Ages pretty much by default now and many civs aren't suited to play this mode: Georgia is poor in DA; Mongols, Zulu are also not very good at this. Mapuche are better in DA but still Lautaro's Swift Hawk trait is practically useless.

Gran Colombia's Hacienda became useless after it got nerfed. Some balance is required there.

For all the people saying that boring civs like Rome needs a change, I disagree. Boring but efficient civs (like Greece, Rome, Sumer...) are here for the reason: that new players, or players that still struggle with the game, have civs with which they can learn and try things. We need civs thtat are straightforwards, because if all civs are as complex and flavourful as the Civilizations Expanded mod (very wonderful, but I stopped playing it with the nerf to Babylon which I found kind of disappointed, the interest of Babylon being the tech tree jump), then new or struggling players will just be overwhelmed with all the abilities, the specificities, the conditions, that knowing how and when they will use it will become a burden.
All civs cannot be like the Mayas or the Maris or the Mali. We need some boring, straightforward civs, just even for casual gameplays. If we hadn't KK in the January update, my first game wouldn't have been with Vietnam because I would have wanted to try the new Corporation mode first with a civ I wouldn't had to focus my entire attention on.

Was a very weird nerf. It was already weak, then they nerfed it.

I think that, for some civ, some underwhelming unique abilties/infrastructures/units are purposefully underwhelming because of the rest of the civ.

I read a lot of people complaining about Wilhelmina's Radio Oranje, and I can't disagree, it's probably one of the worst in the entire game (last in the elimination thread IIRC). But you can't disagree that, despite this useless ability, the Dutch are still a strong civ. The Zieven Provincien is a robust unit, Grote Rivieren is one of the best CUA in the game (I mean, rivers are everywhere, and giving +2 adjacency bonus for campus, IZ and TS is excellent), and the polder (while weaker than the Kampung) are very potent and aesthetically one of the most pleasing improvements. The Dutch are nothing but a strong civ already, not S tier, but lower A or B at the very least. Therefore, improving Wilhelmina's LUA into something more potent would just put the Dutch into the S tier automatically, and the Dutch would then become overpowered, and we already have enough overpowered civ.

Same for the Hacienda. Gran Columbia is automatically OP thanks to the +1 movement for all units. Do they really need more? We have nothing above S tier.

Is it a bad design then? Some might consider that it is. But it's part of the game.

One solution would be to rebalance every civ so that every one of them would ne overpowered. Because when everyone is OP, nobody is. Cvilizations Expanded do it quite well: all civs are so overpowered that it's quite balanced between everyone of them. Each civ would then feel more unique, more engaging.

But nearly 40 civs that would be changed? I can't wait to be in April, because it should be amazing.

I hope this massive rework does not mean the end of new content for CiVI. The little hope I still have it that they just stop to add new mechanics/modes so its a good time to polish all the old civs. Most of the developers can work on CiVII afterwards but a few can stay to give us at least some new civs until CiVII is launched and maybe a scenario once in while (and ofc remove bugs).

Honestly if they re-work France I hope they make it so they're not this weird stereotype civ of "oh hon hon hon we sit back and build les wondres" and even then they're not that great building wonders or benefiting from them since wonder tourism is so bleh. The Garde Imperiale is so forgetable that in one round of musketmen buffs the devs themselves forgot about it.

Spain (is it me or does every historical game struggle to balance Spain? Civ 5, Civ 6, Age of Empires 3....) could have its CUA and LUA tweaked a bit, I think the conquistador is fine, maybe they can make them less tedious by allowing you to link religious units to them like way back in the days of initial release. The mission has undergone several tweaks here and there and it still feels weird, maybe because it's unlocked late in the civics tree but provides science and faith? I mainly play as Spain bc their playstyle - mid-game domination - is like the only kind of domination I do and they're fun when all things line up but it takes a LOT of work to line those things up, and when they don't you're stuck with a pretty blank civ who is supposed to go out and colonize overseas but doesn't really have any innate desire or benefit except some negligible trade route buffs. Maybe not making them so dependent on religion and putting more emphasis on overseas/inter-continental conquest would be better but idk Spain's identity in Civ has always been religious zealot.

Definitely want to see a re-work of all the infamous Rise and Fall casus belli leader abilities like Robert the Bruce's.

Change Spain to an exploration Civ. | CivFanatics Forums

Some time ago, I did a thread aiming to give some ideas that could fit a rework of Spain. It was made in the case Portugal is not present (nowadays, I think it is more probable that they will appear). Maybe something there could be of use.

They are different bonuses that more people participate doing, and I really think some of them are quite interesting!
Maybe taking one of them could work.

The worst part of Spain, for me, is that they are perfect as they are. I mean, the bonuses are superbly choose as they fit perfectly what Spain was during this period under Phillip II.
The problem is that all their bonuses are in different branches so they fail at everything:

I personally love it this way; it is a challenging civ that need planning (and luck).
The bonuses should repay the effort. I mean, as Spain you have not real bonuses helping you gaining an intercontinental empire or to access fast you bonuses.

Therefore, if you manage to activate your bonuses and/or reach another continent, should repay the effort.

Maybe a little bit like IRL, Spain invested much more than other civs to colonize the new continents. At the start was not very lucrative, the gains came more than 50 years after (and after having make many investments) but as soon as they came… OH BOY!

Maybe the same could apply here, you still not get bonuses for exploration, for making new cities or districts in new continents...but if you do, you will receive a massive bonus!

My favorite would be improving the trade lines; they could give incredible yields and have twice the length. This will made other civs try to sack them (and they could give extra gold for enemy privateers) and Spain’s best interest to defend them. The task would be hard, as they would be very extend lines. If you cripple the trade routes, you cripple Spain Civ, just like in IRL!

Top Bottom